SLIGHTLY ODD MULTI

The first Robeson knives were imported by Millard Robeson from England and Germany exclusively. This continued from 1979 until 1896 when Robeson began manufacturing knives in the United States. Since inception, the company has gone through several reorganizations & eventually ended up as a Queen Cutlery brand.
Ridgegrass

SLIGHTLY ODD MULTI

Post by Ridgegrass »

Found this 642214 pattern multi-blade today in a pawn shop in Salisbury, MD. Houston Price says the pattern is a bone-stag, 3-5/8 multi. The tang stamp is ROBESON over CUTLERY over USA, (Used 1901-1922 ?). However the scales are black composite, very much like Delrin. The cap-lifter/can opener is the older style with a large rivet, and the fourth blade is a flathead screwdriver. I first thought it was a broken pen blade but it obviously never had an edge and the nail nick starts at the tang. The age of this knife is confusing because the stamp and blade styles say older but those Delrin-like scales say late 40's-50's. Any opinions welcomed. Thanks J.O'.
Attachments
IMG_3089.jpg
IMG_3091.jpg
IMG_3094.jpg
IMG_3095.jpg
RobesonsRme.com

Re: SLIGHTLY ODD MULTI

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

Robeson used that pressure molded black composition material in place of bone and did not change the pattern number to indicate that. Most specifically, during and after WWII, just as Case did, as bone was not readily available.

Cannot explain the tang stamp. Just realize that all published data re’ Robeson tang stamps can be attributed to two men, Dewy Ferguson and Tom Kalcevic. Did they actually know what they were doing?

I don’t know.

So, take their date data with a large grain of salt and don’t hang any appraisal of value on a tang stamp.

Absolutely, nothing wrong with the OP knife, except its used condition. It’s a survivor.
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
Ridgegrass

Post by Ridgegrass »

Thanks RR. The blades seemed kind of old style for the period. Maybe some prewar leftovers. other than the poorly sharpened main, the knife is in fine shape. I NEVER walk away from a $5 Robeson. Thanks again. I'm guessing from your handle you're the man to ask. J.O'.
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

Ridgegrass wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 12:11 am I'm guessing from your handle you're the man to ask. J.O'.
He is the man to ask. Trust me on that! ::tu::
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
Ridgegrass

Post by Ridgegrass »

RR: Maybe I asked you this before. Did you ever know Dino Bakeris ? He was an avid Robeson collector. We were in the Mason-Dixon Knife Club and he did a lot of shows on the east coast. Passed away some years back. Very extensive collection. J.O'.
Ridgegrass

Post by Ridgegrass »

Thanks Philco. ::tu:: J.O'.
RobesonsRme.com

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

Dino and I were well acquainted and arranged to meet at multiple knife shows, Louisville, Eugene, Blade Show.

We met on Ebay.

Did not know he had passed away.

I bought several knives from Dino, including several Terriers.
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
Ridgegrass

Post by Ridgegrass »

That's great. He was a big Terrier fan and an "astute" bargainer, usually got the better of me when I was young and easy. He knew I liked Catts and he'd save the nicer ones for me to horse trade for any Robesons I had. I'm guessing he's gone near 10 years. I liked him. Glad to know someone remembers him. ::handshake:: J.O'.

Return to “Robeson Cutlery Company Collector's Forum”