Knives Can Talk On Ebay

The first Robeson knives were imported by Millard Robeson from England and Germany exclusively. This continued from 1979 until 1896 when Robeson began manufacturing knives in the United States. Since inception, the company has gone through several reorganizations & eventually ended up as a Queen Cutlery brand.
RobesonsRme.com

Knives Can Talk On Ebay

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

Just FYI.

An auction from "KnifeGirl" (Not our KnifeGirl, though :( ) for a copy of Knives Can Talk! by Tom Kalcevic.

This book is out of print.

If you collect Robeson knives to a significant degree, you need this book.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Robeson-Cutler ... SwrSpdQfuU

Charlie
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
XX Case XX

Re: Knives Can Talk On Ebay

Post by XX Case XX »

That looks like a nice catalog to have even if you don't collect Robeson. It's a part of knife history. ::nod::

I work hard so my Dog can have a better life...
RobesonsRme.com

It's not a Robeson catalog, but a collector book self-published by the pre-eminent Robeson expert, Tom Kalcevic.

Charlie Noyes
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
XX Case XX

Post by XX Case XX »

I was simply trying to point out that this item had great significance for any knife enthusiast, not just Robeson collectors.

I work hard so my Dog can have a better life...
kennedy knives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by kennedy knives »

RobesonsRme.com wrote:Just FYI.

An auction from "KnifeGirl" (Not our KnifeGirl, though :( ) for a copy of Knives Can Talk! by Tom Kalcevic.

Charlie
She is Ryan Daniels wife Courtney
Robo

Post by Robo »

RobesonsRme.com wrote:Just FYI.

Charlie
Thanks for the Heads-up Charlie!!!
Duffer

Post by Duffer »

Here is another one but not as nice. It is a great information resource on Robeson knives!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Robeson-Cutler ... Sw69ddSvV3
Lloyd
RobesonsRme.com

Mr. Kalcevic created these books on his PC at home, printed them on his own printer and must have gone through dozens of ink cartridges doing so, then bound them and distributed them himself, hence the low number of copies available.

A massive undertaking, I think.

Anyone, having a copy of any of his books should be truly impressed.

He has no plans to re-issue any of them.

Unless Google Books makes it available on-line after the copyright expires, we are limited in our ability to acquire the information Tom has amassed.

These are the first two copies I have seen available in quite some time.

If you search Amazon, you might find one, but it will be overpriced. The last was listed in 1999.

Charlie Noyes
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Sidlow Baxter
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

The one Charlie posted went for $265 plus shipping.
Did someone on AAPK get it??
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
Duffer

Post by Duffer »

I found a near mint condition example from a vendor right here on AAPK a while back for $50.00. I’m feeing pretty good about that purchase ::nod:: It will be interesting to see what the one I posted a link to on EBay goes for in 5 days. Currently at $25.00.
Lloyd
RobesonsRme.com

That auction price is amazing.

I'd love to know who the bidders were on that.

Makes me wish I had bought two from Tom when they first came out.

Charlie
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Sidlow Baxter
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

I had a friend bidding for me. I tapped out at $120. I was originally only going to go to $75, but kinda got caught up in the moment.
I would really like to have a copy. Not going to pay that crazy of a price.
David
RobesonsRme.com

The one Lloyd posted a link to sold for $224.50.

Charlie
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Sidlow Baxter
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

I've wanted a copy for quite some time now.
Apparently I will never get one because there is no way I'm gonna spend this kind of money for one.
$224, $265 seems kinda silly. JMO.
David
RobesonsRme.com

People pay similar prices for Levine's Guide, 4th Edition, the last he was personally involved in writing.

Charlie Noyes
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Sidlow Baxter
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

You are correct Charlie.
I don't mean any disrespect to the people paying these high prices.
Just saying I can't see it for me personally.
I would love to have one,but WOW $265.
David
RobesonsRme.com

If I had not bought one from Mr. Kalcevic when they first came out and wanted one today, I’d go without at those prices.

BTW; the book is available to read online at Google Books. Just Google “Knives Can Talk”.
Charlie
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Sidlow Baxter
RalphAlsip

Post by RalphAlsip »

RobesonsRme.com wrote:BTW; the book is available to read online at Google Books. Just Google “Knives Can Talk”.
Charlie, is this the place to find the online book?
https://openlibrary.org/books/OL6897446 ... s_can_talk!
Potzrus

Post by Potzrus »

Hi - first-time post here from a new member.

I was the seller of the Kalcevic price guide that went off at $224.50 - I was stunned. Tom and my late husband John were collaborating on the history of Robeson for a book we were going to do, but life happens and it didn't :( :(

Tom personally gave that guide to us for our help in straightening out some of the knots in the company history.

BTW, I was doing an internet search for the second book Tom did as the winning bidder is in search of what he calls "the second edition" and I found this group. He was thrilled to get the book, so if anyone has one to sell get in touch with me and I will send his information to you - he is willing to pay a goodly amount for it.

Also, I am not a knife collector, but really into the history of the company. Funny thing is, I lived outside of Castile and worked in Perry years before all this came about and never knew a thing about Robeson. John and I did a trip up to NY - went to Rochester talked to a couple of families of some of the employess and found the old plant and even better we found the "superfund" site in Castile. Pretty scary. Of course, we had to do research at the Castile library and found some interesting stuff there. We even got in touch with the Weiss family (what was left of them) and have some correspondence.

It's been a fun project and now it is time to let go of all the things we gathered - sad process.

Kathryn Wilson
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifeaholic »

Potzrus wrote:Hi - first-time post here from a new member.

I was the seller of the Kalcevic price guide that went off at $224.50 - I was stunned. Tom and my late husband John were collaborating on the history of Robeson for a book we were going to do, but life happens and it didn't :( :(

Tom personally gave that guide to us for our help in straightening out some of the knots in the company history.

BTW, I was doing an internet search for the second book Tom did as the winning bidder is in search of what he calls "the second edition" and I found this group. He was thrilled to get the book, so if anyone has one to sell get in touch with me and I will send his information to you - he is willing to pay a goodly amount for it.

Also, I am not a knife collector, but really into the history of the company. Funny thing is, I lived outside of Castile and worked in Perry years before all this came about and never knew a thing about Robeson. John and I did a trip up to NY - went to Rochester talked to a couple of families of some of the employess and found the old plant and even better we found the "superfund" site in Castile. Pretty scary. Of course, we had to do research at the Castile library and found some interesting stuff there. We even got in touch with the Weiss family (what was left of them) and have some correspondence.

It's been a fun project and now it is time to let go of all the things we gathered - sad process.

Kathryn Wilson

I have a copy of Tom's second book. I'll have to dig it out.

I bought the first one when it came out, it was a great book, I ended up passing it on to another collector a few years after I got it.
Steve Pfeiffer, author of Collecting Case Knives: Identification and Price Guide published by Krause Publications.
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Potzrus wrote:Hi - first-time post here from a new member.

Kathryn Wilson
Thanks for the insight Kathryn. Sorry for your husbands passing. Thank you for adding to this forum. ::handshake::
Potzrus

Post by Potzrus »

Thanks for the welcome - not being a knife collector, I wondered if I would get booted :D

I do love to talk about the company - so I'll be a silent partner for the most part.
Potzrus

Post by Potzrus »

When you do, get in touch and I'll pass along the info.
--------------------------------------------------------

I have a copy of Tom's second book. I'll have to dig it out.

I bought the first one when it came out, it was a great book, I ended up passing it on to another collector a few years after I got it.[/quote]
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

RalphAlsip wrote:
RobesonsRme.com wrote:BTW; the book is available to read online at Google Books. Just Google “Knives Can Talk”.
Charlie, is this the place to find the online book?
https://openlibrary.org/books/OL6897446 ... s_can_talk!
I went to that site.
It says no ebook available.
David
RobesonsRme.com

I might have been wrong. I saw it on Google Books the other night using our PC.

I just went there on my cell. The book is there, but does not appear to be readable.

I’m away from home, so I cannot investigate this until I’m back. The iPhone is not my area of expertise.

Kathryn, welcome to AAPK. I have been collecting Robeson and Terrier knives since 1988, though I am now in the process of divesting myself of the Robeson knives.

I’m curious about your comment re’ “the Weiss family”. Previously published information states the company was purchased by Saul Frankel in about 1940.

Who were the Weisses?

Charlie Noyes
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Sidlow Baxter

Return to “Robeson Cutlery Company Collector's Forum”