Bone or plastic covers on this 612407?

The first Robeson knives were imported by Millard Robeson from England and Germany exclusively. This continued from 1979 until 1896 when Robeson began manufacturing knives in the United States. Since inception, the company has gone through several reorganizations & eventually ended up as a Queen Cutlery brand.
Robo

Bone or plastic covers on this 612407?

Post by Robo »

I hope you all can help: The handle material number indicates these are bone covers, but they feel like plastic. Perhaps it's the feel of the long, fine jigging that's throwing me off?

Also was this shield used often?

Thanks, Brothers
Attachments
IMG_9893.jpg
IMG_9891.jpg
IMG_9890.jpg
IMG_9892.jpg
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Bone or plastic covers on this 612407?

Post by knifeaholic »

plastic
Steve Pfeiffer, author of Collecting Case Knives: Identification and Price Guide published by Krause Publications.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

This question comes up fairly frequently so there's a thread in the "Tips & Tricks" forum that addresses this issue. ---► viewtopic.php?f=98&t=62145&p=732251#p732251
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
RobesonsRme.com

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

Not exactly sure that “plastic” is an accurate description for it, but the handles are pressure molded black composition.

I have seen a sample of the handles in a factory logo box with a description of their attributes. They were manufactured and supplied to Robeson by an outside company, the name of which I forget.

The sample handles were on a Robeson knife.

During and after WWII, bone was not readily available. Robeson and others replaced their bone handles in that time period with black composition of some form. Case was another company that did that.

Robeson did not change the pattern numbers to reflect that change. They just continued to put that “6” on the blades.

The shield dates the knife to the early to mid-1950’s.

I have owned several knives similar to that, but I don’t think I’be ever seen a toothpick.

Those handles, whatever they are, are very durable. They will not shrink and I’ve never seen them outgas.

That’s a nice knife.

Charlie

To
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
Robo

Post by Robo »

jerryd6818 wrote:This question comes up fairly frequently so there's a thread in the "Tips & Tricks" forum that addresses this issue. ---► viewtopic.php?f=98&t=62145&p=732251#p732251
Thanks for the lead, Jerry!
Robo

Post by Robo »

RobesonsRme.com wrote:Not exactly sure that “plastic” is an accurate description for it, but the handles are pressure molded black composition.

I have seen a sample of the handles in a factory logo box with a description of their attributes. They were manufactured and supplied to Robeson by an outside company, the name of which I forget.

The sample handles were on a Robeson knife.

During and after WWII, bone was not readily available. Robeson and others replaced their bone handles in that time period with black composition of some form. Case was another company that did that.

Robeson did not change the pattern numbers to reflect that change. They just continued to put that “6” on the blades.

The shield dates the knife to the early to mid-1950’s.

I have owned several knives similar to that, but I don’t think I’be ever seen a toothpick.

Those handles, whatever they are, are very durable. They will not shrink and I’ve never seen them outgas.

That’s a nice knife.

Charlie

To
Thanks Charlie. Good to get the intel. The retro-futuristic shield and the angular cut of the blade gives this one a kinda space-age tickler look. I'm actually happy to hear the covers are composition in this case.

Return to “Robeson Cutlery Company Collector's Forum”