Look At The Bone On This Knife!!

The first Robeson knives were imported by Millard Robeson from England and Germany exclusively. This continued from 1979 until 1896 when Robeson began manufacturing knives in the United States. Since inception, the company has gone through several reorganizations & eventually ended up as a Queen Cutlery brand.
RobesonsRme.com
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Look At The Bone On This Knife!!

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

Beautiful.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-vinta ... Sw3ddc23LL

Not My Knife, Not My Auction and I'm Not Bidding, yet.

I used to have a mint 189 whittler. This is the same pattern with just two blades.

Charlie
Attachments
Robeson 622189 Pen 1.jpg
Robeson 622189 Pen 2.jpg
Robeson 622189 Pen 3.jpg
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
JohnR
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Re: Look At The Bone On This Knife!!

Post by JohnR »

RobesonsRme.com wrote:Beautiful.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-vinta ... Sw3ddc23LL

Not My Knife, Not My Auction and I'm Not Bidding, yet.

I used to have a mint 189 whittler. This is the same pattern with just two blades.

Charlie
Charlie, that is some very nice bone, Robeson sure put some great bone on their knives, this one has some of the deepest jigging I've ever seen, similar to the one you posted but without the trails.
Attachments
IMG_0165.jpg
IMG_0158.jpg
RobesonsRme.com
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

That's a beautiful jack, John and the bone is simply top-notch.

I do not know if Robeson jigged their own bone or utilized an outside supplier, but whoever did it, made some great handles.

Robeson's so-called, "worm groove" and Cattaraugus's; "Indian Trail" were very, very similar and might have come from the same supplier.

Charlie
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
eveled

Post by eveled »

I’m probably in the minority. But that one deep line that goes from bolster to the point of the shield. Looks like a mistake to me. It looks more like a vein in a piece of stag. Other than that the rest looks great.

The other side of the op knife and both sides of Johns knife are very pleasing to my eyes.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Charlie, thanks for posting that example - beautiful bone. I’m no expert but I’d call that Rogers “Indian Trail” worm-groove bone, and a good example at that. It has some worm groove jigging on both sides.

It’s been a while since this old thread surfaced but for those interested here’s a thread about it, and a post that give some history of the bone and the company that supplied it. viewtopic.php?f=35&t=45098&hilit=Rogers#p455829 ::tu::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
RobesonsRme.com
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

"Indian Trail" or "Worm Grooved" bone was an attempt to simulate genuine stag.

Robeson called it "Bone Stag" in their catalogs.

Given that Eveled thinks it looks like a "vein in a piece of stag" suggests the technique must have worked pretty well.

I'm well aware that one appreciates what they appreciate, but being a four decade Robeson collector, I tend to like their bone more so than others.

Charlie
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Sidlow Baxter
KnifeSlinger#81

Post by KnifeSlinger#81 »

I really like the old robeson bone like on John's knife. In my opinion It's right up there with peachseed as some of the best jigged bone on a pocket knife.
-Paul T.

WANTED: Shapleigh Diamond Edge branded Schrades in good condition.
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

IMO Robeson did have some of the nicest bone and jigging ever. The old dark stuff shown is prime example and the strawberry bone pales in comparison as far as I'm concerned.
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr

Return to “Robeson Cutlery Company Collector's Forum”