A Tickler

The first Robeson knives were imported by Millard Robeson from England and Germany exclusively. This continued from 1979 until 1896 when Robeson began manufacturing knives in the United States. Since inception, the company has gone through several reorganizations & eventually ended up as a Queen Cutlery brand.
Robo

Re: A Tickler

Post by Robo »

RobesonsRme.com wrote:Robo; Just about every Robeson Demonstrator marked knife I have seen had those pressure molded hard rubber handles and... (Hint: They all belonged to the same dealer) Charlie
Charlie, could you expound on this a bit? Are you saying that a dealer like-- say-- L.L. Bean--ordered up a bunch of Robeson pocket knives and had them all made with that type of covers?

FRJ: Thank you! I got the bolster lock and love it. I'm totally into the narrow turkish-like clip blade on the tickler frame. Utica made them on their's as an option as it turns out in either a flat grind or saber grind, as well as the traditional clip. They sold them to lots of companies including HSB, Cutino, Henry Sears, WR Case & Sons. But you don't see this type of long thin blade much on other ticklers. So finding a similar one on this frame made my year.

One thing I wanted to run by you all: does it strike you that the design of this lock should have never gotten past the idea stage? I can't think of a stranger, cooler looking bolster--don't get me wrong--but as soon as I had the knife in my hands I became aware of the fact that while in the full open, locked position, the bone cover directly above the most engaged portion of the lock is totally exposed. It seems like even a moderate amount of thumb pressure on that spot would fairly quickly result in a handle breakage. I'm a lefty so that is where my thumb would be while using the knife. But even a righty it seems would have their index finger pressing on that spot. Can't wait to hear your thoughts! Here are a couple photos:
Attachments
IMG_9443.jpg
IMG_9437.jpg
IMG_9438.jpg
IMG_9321.JPG
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

Robo, I agree with you on this not getting past the idea stage. I have never seen a bolster lock yet that made sense to me. This one is better than the bolster lock where the entire bolster has to be moved to unlock the knife. It takes too much pressure and it’s too close to that sharp cutting edge to be safe. I’ve had a few in the past and sold them all. Never felt like I could safely open to the fully locked position knowing how dangerous it would be to my thumb if I slipped trying to move that bolster to close it.
SSk
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Robo wrote: does it strike you that the design of this lock should have never gotten past the idea stage?
It certainly makes you wonder about all the challenges that faced Robeson with the design of this bolster.
But they did it and they did so many other outside the box machinations as well. And they did them well.
One of the reasons I admire the company so much.
But, yes, I think this design is right out there on the edge.
And I have been alarmed thinking I was pressing on the bone there. I'm very careful with that. ::facepalm::

Robo, the pictures of your Robeson ShurEdge are really nice. The background and the text and the knife come together very well.
Love that blade.
Joe
RobesonsRme.com
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

Robeson used that pressure-molded black rubber handle material on multiple patterns of knives. I have no explanation for its use. It was unattractive, it will shrink, over time, but it must have been cheap.

I've seen it on Barlows, jacks, utility knives, etc, and it was on most DEMONSTRATOR marked knives. I say most, because I have a small pearl-handled DEMONSTRATOR.

I used to see a dealer at knife shows that always had a nice selection of Robesons. Problem was, he cleaned them all and buffed the blades to a bright shiny finish. At one time, he had three large frame coke bottle folding hunters and all three were DEMONSTRATOR marked and had red colored bone handles. Not strawberry bone, but close. I always thought he had re-handled them, though he claimed they were original. Those three were the only bone handled Robeson DEMONSTRATORS I've ever seen.

I have stated here multiple times about the unsupported bone overlying that bolster lock. It's an interesting design and created a subset of very collectible knives, but I would never EDC one.

And I don't let potential buyers at knife shows open and close the knives themselves.

That is, indeed, a nice Robeson bolster-lock tickler you've posted above.

Charlie
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
Robo

Post by Robo »

Thanks Charlie!--I'll have to go back through some posts and glean some more knowledge. Is this the first post with pictures of frame locks? Also, I forgot to mention one big positive about mine--awesome opening snap--although it's more like a loud click--love it!

Also, could you expound on the whole "Demonstrator" term. Is that a knife provided to a store for cutomers to handle? or is it like a salesman's sample? or a term they used for prototype? Thanks.
Robo

Post by Robo »

FRJ: Excellant point! I love it when a company--in an understandably conservative industry-- puts even a little twist on a pattern that makes it stand out from the pack. Like I've mentioned, I'm a pattern head so I study the tickler pattern very closely. Each company's version tends to be slightly different in most cases, it seems, but then you get companies that push the envelope in a new and interesting direction like the Robeson frame lock, or the square top tickler, or a Western States tickler with the ever so subtly tweeked bolster shape or the Cattaraugus 11 series (which you could argue are a crossover pattern) or Kabar's Pirate Switch or Camillus's Fluted bolstered beauty. discovering these Is a big part of what this collecting thing is all about to me.
Robo

Post by Robo »

SSK, Yeah, man, and with this one you have to keep in mind the exposed bone factor when you're closing it as well as the safety factor. And the biggest shame is that the snap or click on this one I just got is awesome. I wanna just sit there and open and close it but I can't--too risky! Ha Ha! But every collection has to have its queens you admire from afar and it's beaters you don't have to treat so preciously--am I right?
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Robo wrote: Is this the first post with pictures of frame locks?
Here are a couple I have from another thread in this forum.
Attachments
DSCN4470.JPG
DSCN4471.JPG
DSCN4475.JPG
DSCN4467.JPG
Joe
Robo

Post by Robo »

Killer Bone! Thanks for sharing, FRJ.
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Two Robesons.
Attachments
DSCN7388.JPG
Joe
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Here is are two small Imperials.
Shown with a regular size Colonial.
Attachments
DSCN7432.JPG
DSCN7434.JPG
Joe
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Here is a nice old Union CutCo, Olean NY USA.
Attachments
DSCN7416.JPG
DSCN7419.JPG
DSCN7420.JPG
Joe
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Here is a script Remington.
It has some kind of composition covers.
Attachments
DSCN7425.JPG
DSCN7429.JPG
DSCN7430.JPG
Joe
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Here is an Imperial. Still hangin' in there.
Attachments
DSCN7403.JPG
DSCN7405.JPG
DSCN7407.JPG
Joe
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Here is a Queen, a Keen Kutter and a Case.
Attachments
DSCN7369.JPG
DSCN7371.JPG
DSCN7373.JPG
DSCN7376.JPG
DSCN7380.JPG
DSCN7382.JPG
DSCN7396.JPG
DSCN7398.JPG
DSCN7400.JPG
Joe
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Here is a sweet and old Aerial Cutlery Co.
Tang is barely readable in hand.
Thanks for looking.
Attachments
DSCN7360.JPG
DSCN7363.JPG
DSCN7366.JPG
Joe
Robo

Post by Robo »

FRJ wrote:Here is a sweet and old Aerial Cutlery Co.
Tang is barely readable in hand.
Thanks for sharing FRJ, I'm a big Aerial Tickler Fan!
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

I'm glad you like the knife, Robo.
Joe

Return to “Robeson Cutlery Company Collector's Forum”