Old Robeson Jack

The first Robeson knives were imported by Millard Robeson from England and Germany exclusively. This continued from 1979 until 1896 when Robeson began manufacturing knives in the United States. Since inception, the company has gone through several reorganizations & eventually ended up as a Queen Cutlery brand.
woodwalker

Old Robeson Jack

Post by woodwalker »

Can someone help me a little about this old Jack Knife? My boss picked it up on ebay for her son and I give it a little cleaning and just trying to get a little info on it. Thank you. :)
Attachments
20190314_182522.jpg
20190314_182454.jpg
20190314_182432.jpg
20190314_182421.jpg
20190314_182358.jpg
FRJ

Re: Old Robeson Jack

Post by FRJ »

That knife started out at a disadvantage when Robeson put those muddy covers on it.

Otherwise a nice little user. How long is it?
Joe
woodwalker

Post by woodwalker »

Joe: 3 1/4. I don't like those cheap covers much either. Thanks. :)
RobesonsRme.com
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

Notice, there are no handle pins, other than the hinge pin. That was a patented technique that Robeson Cutlery Company developed, probably through the genius of James Lewis.

The handle slabs are held in place by a wrap-over nickel-silver frame and bolsters. However, the handles on the OP knife have shrunk and pulled away from the frame.

Here is another example of the technique. The handles on this knife are an early form of Micarta, I think.

The handles on the OP knife are what I refer to as hard rubber. They used it quite a bit at one time. I have no idea why they used it, but you'll find quite a few older Barlows and utility knives with it. I think the handles were pressure molded.

Here are a couple of examples in better condition.

Charlie
Attachments
138433B.jpg
BoxKnifeB.jpg
EurekaDemoB.jpg
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
woodwalker

Post by woodwalker »

RobesonsRme.com wrote:Notice, there are no handle pins, other than the hinge pin. That was a patented technique that Robeson Cutlery Company developed, probably through the genius of James Lewis.

The handle slabs are held in place by a wrap-over nickel-silver frame and bolsters. However, the handles on the OP knife have shrunk and pulled away from the frame.

Here is another example of the technique. The handles on this knife are an early form of Micarta, I think.

The handles are what I refer to as hard rubber. They used it quite a bit at one time. I have no idea why they used it, but you'll quite a few older Barlows and utility knives with it. I think the handles were pressure molded.

Here are a couple of examples in better condition.

Charlie
Thank you for the info Charlie. I will pass it on to my boss. She bought it for her son who just started collecting. She asked me some good brands for him to seek out and Robeson was a brand I recommended. She landed this one for 12 dollars. Her son will receive it soon. Thank you for your time and your examples are very nice. As always I appreciate you.
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Very nice knives, Charlie.
Joe

Return to “Robeson Cutlery Company Collector's Forum”