Robeson Barlows

The first Robeson knives were imported by Millard Robeson from England and Germany exclusively. This continued from 1979 until 1896 when Robeson began manufacturing knives in the United States. Since inception, the company has gone through several reorganizations & eventually ended up as a Queen Cutlery brand.
Kevin11b

Re: Robeson Barlows

Post by Kevin11b »

Thanks Charlie for the clairification. Please check your pm’s.
Kevin11b

Post by Kevin11b »

Just got this today . Really happy with it the handles are beautiful! This is saw cut so the pattern of course is 521178. And the tang stamp dates this one in the 1916 to 1939 range. Charlie please post the ivory handle patterns if you find out
Attachments
30985F65-3B8C-4669-90F5-83A11FE07CB6.jpeg
RobesonsRme.com

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

Kevin, I think the Sheepsfoot master Barlows from Robeson are kind of scarce. You did good on that one.

Earlier, I mentioned two ivoroid handled Barlows that I used to own. I stated that they might have had an "8" as the first digit of their pattern numbers, as that was the designator for "Patterned Celluloid".

However, Ivoroid had its own number, "4".

Both the ivoroid knives I owned had a pattern number beginning with a "4". A 421179 and a rare 421200 with a spey master

Both these knives now belong to another AAPK and BladeForums member.

Charlie
Attachments
421179B.jpg
421179B.jpg (18.48 KiB) Viewed 3193 times
421200B.jpg
421200B.jpg (19.64 KiB) Viewed 3193 times
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
Kevin11b

Post by Kevin11b »

Awesome that you came up with them! So now am I assuming correctly that from what we can tell barlows will all have the first digit a five regardless of handle material with the exception of a four for ivory celluloid? Kevin
Kevin11b

Post by Kevin11b »

That is great about the sheepsfoot blade but just luck I didn’t know any better🙂
RobesonsRme.com

As far as I know, that is correct. I have seen smooth black and jigged black composition Robeson Barlows and I think they either have no pattern number or a 5.

I’ve never seen a genuine stag handled Barlow from Robeson and I don’t recall any fancy patterned celluloid, but it wouldn’t surprise me to see one in faux tortoise.

I used to have a single bladed sheepsfoot Barlow in Strawberry Bone. You might be able to locate one of those.
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

RobesonsRme.com wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 6:22 pm As far as I know, that is correct. I have seen smooth black and jigged black composition Robeson Barlows and I think they either have no pattern number or a 5.

I’ve never seen a genuine stag handled Barlow from Robeson and I don’t recall any fancy patterned celluloid, but it wouldn’t surprise me to see one in faux tortoise.

I used to have a single bladed sheepsfoot Barlow in Strawberry Bone. You might be able to locate one of those.
Attachments
20210313_194526.jpg
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
Kevin11b

Post by Kevin11b »

Ha ha good job edge!! I think we just located one
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

Kevin11b wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 12:50 am Ha ha good job edge!! I think we just located one
::tu:: ::tu::
I love Barlows, and I also love Robesons.
David
Kevin11b

Post by Kevin11b »

Agreed !!!
sugarcreek

Post by sugarcreek »

As a kid in the 1960s I lived to hunt, fish and collect arrowheads, as did my friends. Collecting knives was a part of this world and I dreamed of a new Case knife, but only had money to acquire a few.
As I grew older I continued to carry a knife but tended to make them a tool on the farm, using the same one until a spring broke, handle cracked or the blades just got sharpened away.
Anyway, a while back I got out my old tackle box full of a lifetime of my knives. It also had my grandfather's old Henreich Boker stockman I had watched him carry it for years and it was returned to us by the hospital when he died. His knife, like most of mine, was well worn. I did have a few including several Case usa knives that were in good shape and I got on the internet to see what they are worth.
This thread caught my eye and caused me to sign in on E-Bay for the first time. What fun!
Well, April was a lot of fun and I purchased a number of Barlow Robesons, Belknap Bluegrass and other assorted barlows from the 1940 to 1965 period.
Even bought an old Robeson the tang stamp indicates was made shortly after 1900.
I love the bone handles and have no trouble telling deldrin from bone in the later knives. The dark maroonish brown pre 1964 Robesons have handles that have the feel of pocketworn sawcut bone but I suspect is some deldrin like material.
I got what I consider some pretty nice knives while only paying in the 20 to 30 dollar range.
Any information on how to to determine if these Robeson scales are bone or not? At the price I gave I suspect some sort of imitation bone.
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

sugarcreek wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:16 pm As a kid in the 1960s I lived to hunt, fish and collect arrowheads, as did my friends. Collecting knives was a part of this world and I dreamed of a new Case knife, but only had money to acquire a few.
As I grew older I continued to carry a knife but tended to make them a tool on the farm, using the same one until a spring broke, handle cracked or the blades just got sharpened away.
Anyway, a while back I got out my old tackle box full of a lifetime of my knives. It also had my grandfather's old Henreich Boker stockman I had watched him carry it for years and it was returned to us by the hospital when he died. His knife, like most of mine, was well worn. I did have a few including several Case usa knives that were in good shape and I got on the internet to see what they are worth.
This thread caught my eye and caused me to sign in on E-Bay for the first time. What fun!
Well, April was a lot of fun and I purchased a number of Barlow Robesons, Belknap Bluegrass and other assorted barlows from the 1940 to 1965 period.
Even bought an old Robeson the tang stamp indicates was made shortly after 1900.
I love the bone handles and have no trouble telling deldrin from bone in the later knives. The dark maroonish brown pre 1964 Robesons have handles that have the feel of pocketworn sawcut bone but I suspect is some deldrin like material.
I got what I consider some pretty nice knives while only paying in the 20 to 30 dollar range.
Any information on how to to determine if these Robeson scales are bone or not? At the price I gave I suspect some sort of imitation bone.

If you post pictures it will be much easier.
David
sugarcreek

Post by sugarcreek »

Sorry, I considered it a major achievement for my tech skills to post the comment.
I may try to get one of my daughters to help me with a picture when they are home.
RobesonsRme.com

With a 10x loupe or magnifier, you should be able to detect Haversian (That might be incorrect) veins if the handle is bone. Delrin or any other composite material will be uniform in color without the telltale markings of vascular remnants.

Charlie
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Sidlow Baxter
sugarcreek

Post by sugarcreek »

Thanks
sugarcreek

Post by sugarcreek »

If the main and secondary blades on an early Robeson barlow have different tang stamps from overlapping time periods, is this indicative of a cobbled together knife or did Robeson sometimes do this?
If Robeson did it, does it help you date the knife to the time the tangs stamps overlapped?
Thanks, I am new to this.
Kevin11b

Post by Kevin11b »

Hi I am fairly new here as well but welcome! When dating a Robeson only use the master blade tang stamp to date the knife, but it is common to have two different stamps on an original knife
Kevin11b

Post by Kevin11b »

There is a sticky thread at the top of this forum regarding tang stamps that will be of great help to you in dating Robesons
sugarcreek

Post by sugarcreek »

Thanks Kevin11b,
I read the early thread just after I posted and saw it answered my question.
I have only been into this a little over a month and find it fascinating to hold history in your hand.
I am sure my tastes will change, but for now these old barlows just ring the bells for me as I learn a little bit of their story.
The old Robesons with engraved sleeve-board bolsters feel so good in your hand and make such a nice sound as they open and close, they really caught my attention. I wish those with bone handles were more easily found.
I also see I need a camera and the ability to post pictures in order to contribute positively to this forum. Maybe old dogs can still learn tricks.
Kevin11b

Post by Kevin11b »

You will be posting pics in no time. If I can do it anybody can I am terrible with tech stuff also!!! Kevin
RobesonsRme.com

Easiest way to take and post photos is with a smartphone.

You do need some kind of photo editing app if your phone doesn’t have one.

Take some photos, crop them down, as that provides some zoom, save them to your phone, log on to AAPK and post away.

Charlie
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Sidlow Baxter

Return to “Robeson Cutlery Company Collector's Forum”