Robeson Jimmy Allen outers knife

The first Robeson knives were imported by Millard Robeson from England and Germany exclusively. This continued from 1979 until 1896 when Robeson began manufacturing knives in the United States. Since inception, the company has gone through several reorganizations & eventually ended up as a Queen Cutlery brand.
keenkutterrick

Robeson Jimmy Allen outers knife

Post by keenkutterrick »

I've been an outers pattern knife lover for years. Recently acquired a Jimmy Allen Robeson outers knife and 3 matching sheaths. Curious as to how common are they.
RobesonsRme.com
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Robeson Jimmy Allen outers knife

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

The Air Adventures of Jimmie Allen was a syndicated radio program in the 1930's with numerous sponsors from oil companies to bread to soft drinks.

Robeson made the Outers Knife and at least two patterns of pocketknives for the program to issue, give away or sell; I'm not sure which.

There were available to fans of the show, small flight wing pins, patches, flight instructions and maps and membership cards.

Here is a little Jimmie Allen collection I put together.

The framed photo is from a B-Grade movie. I do not recall the actor's name.

The first such pin I bought was the C-47 looking airplane I purchased from an elderly woman. She had ordered it when she was nine or ten, but her father refused to allow her to wear it as he thought it "inappropriate" for a young lady. It came to me in its original packaging. I think the fact she held on to it until she was in her seventies speaks volumes about what she thought of her father's opinion.

Charlie Noyes
Attachments
RobDisplay16.JPG
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

I collected Outer's pattern knives for a good while and I wouldn't call any of them common, especially in excellent or better condition. They were all very lightly made knives and any rough use took a toll on them. As far as brand goes Robeson Outers are far from common and the Jimmy Allen version is hard to find. The sheaths in decent condition, as with most old fixed blades are even harder to find than the knives. Are the sheaths you have all marked Jimmy Allen and are they all original?

Pictures would be nice and appreciated.
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
djknife13
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by djknife13 »

In case anyone is curious, This is what the Robeson No.10 Jimmy Allen knife and sheath looks like. I've seen only a couple in 20 some years of collecting but I don't get to many big shows where I assume they are a little more available. I paid $31.50 at an antique shop for this, less than perfect one in 2004.____Dave
Attachments
Jimmy Allen Robeson Shuredge No 10 001.JPG
RobesonsRme.com
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

I've seen very nice Robeson No. 10 Jimmie Allen knives and sheaths sell for $350.00.

I've also seen them with gold in the blade etch.

Charlie Noyes
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
djknife13
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by djknife13 »

Some day a nicer one may join my collection, but sometimes it does feel good to settle for one with some dings and still be able to pay the monthly bills too. I had no clue who Jimmy Allen even was when I bought this one. ___Dave

Return to “Robeson Cutlery Company Collector's Forum”