Requesting info on Vintage Robeson Knife

The first Robeson knives were imported by Millard Robeson from England and Germany exclusively. This continued from 1979 until 1896 when Robeson began manufacturing knives in the United States. Since inception, the company has gone through several reorganizations & eventually ended up as a Queen Cutlery brand.
StaceyS

Requesting info on Vintage Robeson Knife

Post by StaceyS »

knife 1.jpg
I have in my possession a Robeson pocket knife that, based on Charlie Noyes' comprehensive list of tang stamps, seems to be of the era 1911-21:
Robeson tang stamp.jpg
I have been able to do some research online, but have yet to find a knife pictured that resembles mine. The blades, stamped with "FITS ANY POCKET," are also stamped with "THE COLUMBIAN CIRCLE," which I believe is a fraternal order (and from an online archived article of the organization from 1916, would correspond to the dating of the tang stamp). I'm not sure of its composition; the casing appears to maybe be silver plate? There are no markings regarding that. Unfortunately, as you can see, the larger blade is broken. I would appreciate any further information anyone could give me on this knife and its possible as-is value. Thank you so much!
Attachments
Columbian Circle.jpg
fits any pocket.jpg
Lrg blade Columbian Circle.jpg
Lrg blade fits any pocket.jpg
Made in U.S.A.jpg
lrg blade rt.jpg
RobesonsRme.com

Re: Requesting info on Vintage Robeson Knife

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

That broken blade is unfortunate.

I have never seen that handle before. It's probably nickel-silver, possibly silver plated, but if it was silver, it would be marked as such somewhere.

These type handles might have been applied at the factory or they might have been added by a jeweler. Sometimes, jewelers ordered "shell" knives and applied their own handles, including Sterling silver and solid gold.

I cannot tell from your photos if that is a shell handled knife. If the handles are solid and there are no separate liners, the handles were applied at the factory.

Also, the deep etch or stamp on the flat of the blades leads me to think that, too.

The line that appears to have read, "Fits Any Pocket" makes me wonder if it was not a salesman sample.

However, I have no explanation for "The Columbian Circle". There are numerous fraternal knives illustrated in an old Robeson catalog. That is not among them.

The catalog also illustrates several decorative metal handled knives and that pattern is not among them.

Interestingly, the metal handled knives are listed as either "Yellow Gold" or "White Gold". I have no idea if that means they were actually plated with either. I see no knives in the catalog listed as solid gold.

The Robeson Cutlery Co was very closely connected to Rochester Stamping Company which had the facilities and personnel for electroplating almost any metal object. Both companies were originally owned and operated by Millard F. Robeson, prior to his death in 1903. They continued to be connected until well after WWII, I think. They eventually became Robeson-Rochester Corporation sometime in the 1920's and manufactured ceramic dinnerware under the name Rochester Ware. Very collectible stuff on Ebay every day.

The "Made In U.S.A." stamping may help date your knife, as I think that was mandated by law. I forget the date, but 1921 comes to mind. That information is in Levine's Guide. I'll try to look that up.

Except for that broken blade, that would be a desirable knife, but it's still very interesting.

Charlie Noyes
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
StaceyS

Post by StaceyS »

Thank you, Charlie Noyes!
I've attached two more images to see if they might help in discerning whether it's a "shell" knife that a jeweler applied their own handle to.
back side.jpg
inside.jpg
RobesonsRme.com

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

The handles look solid to me. A bit of light looking into the well would help. But, I think the handles and backspring comprise the entire framework of the knife.

I'm still leaning toward a salesman sample knife with a representative fraternal logo on the blade.

Charlie
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
StaceyS

Post by StaceyS »

Here's a picture of the inside (plus reflection) better lit
insides lit.jpg
. Thank you, Charlie.
Best,
Stacey

Return to “Robeson Cutlery Company Collector's Forum”