Trade Sign

The first Robeson knives were imported by Millard Robeson from England and Germany exclusively. This continued from 1979 until 1896 when Robeson began manufacturing knives in the United States. Since inception, the company has gone through several reorganizations & eventually ended up as a Queen Cutlery brand.
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Trade Sign

Post by Miller Bro's »

These were made of wood and hung in a store window to draw in buyers. I find this very interesting as the front handle has "Robeson" on it the tang is marked "Schatt & Morgan" and the back has what looks like "New York Cutlery Co" which was a trademark of Schatt & Morgan.

It is 30" long closed and sold back in 2012 for an undisclosed amount, no I didn't buy it. Thought it should be put here for posterity.
Attachments
0906cbknfe.jpg
0906cbknfe_det1.jpg
AAPK Janitor
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Trade Sign

Post by btrwtr »

Very cool Dimitri. Not sure what to make of the multiple brands. The SXM tang certainly looks well done as wells as the NEW YORK CUTLERY Co. which was an early SXM marking. Can't say as much for the Robeson on the front. May have been an afterthought added by a shop owner to sell the Robeson brand.
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
RobesonsRme.com
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

There is an old photo in Bruce Voyles' American Blade Collectors Association Price Guide To Antique Knives, 1st Edition on page 373.

It looks like the same knife, except the "ROBESON" logo is not there.

The blades have a Schatt - Morgan, Gowanda tang stamp .

The caption reads , "This wooden knife is also marked on the handle, 'New York Cutlery Co.' Note S&M, (Schatt & Morgan) Gowanda marks. It hung in the bar at The Crown Center in Kansas City during one of the Knifemaker's Guild Show. The following year it was gone. Whereabouts today unknown."

That book was published in 1990.

I'll see if I can take a photo or scan.

I would have loved to have had that when I was displaying the Robeson collection at knife shows.

I wonder if it's the same knife with "ROBESON" added or two different knives.

Charlie
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

I seen the one in the book The International Blade Collectors Association Price Guide To Antique Knives, it looks the same but hard to tell from that picture, I am sure they made several of these at the time. If I recall correctly Rhett Stidham had one of these and this could very well have come from his estate.
AAPK Janitor
zzyzzogeton

Post by zzyzzogeton »

To my eye, the "ROBESON" looks less professionally done, more of an "Amateur" job, as if the knife was initially a New York Knife Co. advertising sign and a purveyor of goods added the ROBESON to the other side of the knife to take advantage of available real estate and push another line of knives he carried.

Interesting piece of advertising nostalgia, whatever its origins.
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

Not New York Knife Co. but New York Cutlery Co. two entirely different brands. I doubt Robeson had anything to do with this making of the display piece. I think I could find room for one of these in my collection.
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
RobesonsRme.com
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

I'm surprised David Clark did not have one.

In my humble opinion, that's a four figure item.

Charlie
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifeaholic »

That one is a puzzle, but this one even more so. No, I don't own it. It was hanging on a dealer's tent at the Brimfield outdoor antique show here in Massachusetts.

I took these photos last spring and never got around to posting them here on AAPK. This thread reminded me.
Attachments
20170714_112916.jpg
20170714_112919.jpg
20170714_112922.jpg
Steve Pfeiffer, author of Collecting Case Knives: Identification and Price Guide published by Krause Publications.
RobesonsRme.com
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Was there not a Case connection to Atlas or was it just something similar and I'm confused?

There was a large wooden multiblade folding knife hanging in a local restaurant. Do not recall what was written on it, but it was not a major American maker and I also thought it was not old. However, it looked very much like something produced in the early 20th century.

The restaurant went under and I tried to buy it, but it was leased from a supplier of such and returned to them.

I would have turned it into a show title item for my Robeson display.

Not to be, however.

Charlie
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Sidlow Baxter
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifeaholic »

RobesonsRme.com wrote:Was there not a Case connection to Atlas or was it just something similar and I'm confused?

Charlie
I personally have never heard of any Atlas Knife Company (other than on this piece), so I have no idea about any connection to Case.
Steve Pfeiffer, author of Collecting Case Knives: Identification and Price Guide published by Krause Publications.
RobesonsRme.com
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Maybe it was something like Alcas or something. My brain holds on to lots of stuff, but not with any degree of accuracy.
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Sidlow Baxter
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifeaholic »

RobesonsRme.com wrote:Maybe it was something like Alcas or something. My brain holds on to lots of stuff, but not with any degree of accuracy.
Yes, Alcas. Name is a combo of Alcoa Aluminum and Case Cutlery.
zzyzzogeton

Post by zzyzzogeton »

ALCAS is the current parent company of both CUTCO and KABAR.

Return to “Robeson Cutlery Company Collector's Forum”