A Longstanding Question Answered

The first Robeson knives were imported by Millard Robeson from England and Germany exclusively. This continued from 1979 until 1896 when Robeson began manufacturing knives in the United States. Since inception, the company has gone through several reorganizations & eventually ended up as a Queen Cutlery brand.
RobesonsRme.com

A Longstanding Question Answered

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

Years ago, I saw at a knife show, a four inch Robeson, jigged brown bone handled, surveyor patterned moose with full length clip and spear blades.

Fantastic knife that I could not afford.

A good many knife people stood around the man's table discussing the knife. Some questioned its authenticity. I was not one of those.

The biggest question they had was no one had ever seen such a knife before.

I have, however, since that time seen two, but with ebony handles.

The bone handled knife had an unusual shield. It was gold or brass colored. Might have been solid brass, but it was quite shiny.

The shield was a golden coin with a large dollar sign in its center and wings attached.

No one had any idea what that represented. I had certainly never seen such a shield before.

Well, last week, Sarah and I stopped in at one of our favorite antiques shops in Winfield, Alabama and they had a very large porcelain sign, broken down into two pieces.

Lo and behold, there was that shield, advertising The Pay Day Feed Company.

Question answered.

I found nothing on Google for this company.

Left click will enlarge and rotate the photo.

Charlie
Attachments
IMG_20171223_143439.jpg
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
espn77

Re: A Longstanding Question Answered

Post by espn77 »

Cool story. Did you buy the sign?
RobesonsRme.com

It's almost billboard size, so no, I did not.

Charlie
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

I know how that goes, Charlie. Somewhere inside your head (and mine) there is a teeny little file cabinet that the most obscure things that you saw years and years ago are put away sometimes forever, but sometimes the drawer to that file cabinet comes open and .............I find as I have gotten older, that file cabinet some times FLIES OPEN at the mere sight of an object.
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
RobesonsRme.com

When I saw the emblem on the sign, I had to dig around in my head a bit to ensure that what I was seeing was actually the same thing I had seen on that Robeson knife.

I'm 100% certain it is.

Sights and smells trigger lots of memories for me.

Charlie
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Sidlow Baxter

Return to “Robeson Cutlery Company Collector's Forum”