Robeson Lobster MultiBlade Fob Knife

The first Robeson knives were imported by Millard Robeson from England and Germany exclusively. This continued from 1979 until 1896 when Robeson began manufacturing knives in the United States. Since inception, the company has gone through several reorganizations & eventually ended up as a Queen Cutlery brand.
RobesonsRme.com
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Robeson Lobster MultiBlade Fob Knife

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

This little Robeson knife popped up on Ebay this past week.

As I've said previously, I am not actively pursuing "Robeson" marked knives any more, but then again, I'm not stupid, either. :wink:

This knife is Marked ROBESON / CUTLERY Co.

That mark with the line under the "o" is almost always found on knives made in Germany for Robeson between 1891 and 1895.

The seller did not mention Germany in his description and none of his photos showed it distinctly to be on any of the tangs.

I suspect it's there somewhere, though.

I cannot tell how long the knife is and he didn't say. Three inches, more or less.

I got this for $76.00. ::woot::

I think I'm going to like this one. ::tu:: One-hundred-twenty-two year old knife, if we trust the published tang stamp information.

These are the auction pics.

Charlie
Attachments
Robeson Fob Lobster 1.jpg
Robeson Fob Lobster 2.jpg
Robeson Fob Lobster 3.jpg
Robeson Fob Lobster 4.jpg
Robeson Fob Lobster 5.jpg
Robeson Fob Lobster 6.jpg
Robeson Fob Lobster 7.jpg
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
bestgear
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Re: Robeson Lobster MultiBlade Fob Knife

Post by bestgear »

Bravo Charlie - looks like you stalked and bagged a winner - even when your not a buyer it's hard not to save an heirloom that's obviously been loved and cared for. Well played.
Tom
AAPK Administrator

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.
americanedgetech

Post by americanedgetech »

What a charming beauty!
That sir, looks like a brand new knife! Right place, at the right time I guess! ::nod::
Ken Mc.

WTB Kershaw 2120 MACHO Lockback Parts knife
I need a pile side scale. THX!
RobesonsRme.com
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Now that I've blown the photos up, I'm not sure there is a line under the "o", because the "o" is missing on the stamps that are shown.

If that's the case, the knife could very well be English and that would date it 1885 to 1890.

Not going to know for sure until I have it in hand.

I need to stop speculating. ::facepalm::

Charlie
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Congratulations, Charlie, on getting that little jewel.
A real beauty whenever it was made. ::tu::
Joe
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

Dandy little knife Charlie!Looks like it's only 2 1/2" or so long. ::tu::
Roger
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I did not know about Robeson made in Sheffield. Did Robeson contract out just a few 'gent's patterns, like this one coming to you ?
At some point did Robeson begin making the same patterns 'in house' ?
Have you noticed any difference in quality of workmanship between, Robeson, Germany, & Robeson, England ?
And my final question: People collect 'mini knives'. What is the upper limit in length for a mini ? I have or had multiblades that are 1 1/2" closed & 2" closed which consider to be mini's, but what about 2 1/2" which is what this knife likely is ?
kj
woodwalker

Post by woodwalker »

That is a clean and Purdy little jewel! I am glad it went to you charlie! Post some more when you get it in hand. Have a good one! :)
RobesonsRme.com
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Thanks everyone. The knife has been shipped.

Roland, I'm not at all convinced the knife is English. Odds favor German. I've never seen an English made Robeson except in Tom Kalcevic's books and the one pattern I recall was a big bone handled hawkbill.

Millard F. Robeson started his cutlery endeavors as a sideline to his regular job, which I suspect might have been with The Rochester Stamping Company, a company he himself eventually owned.

Robeson's earliest cutlery business was done out of his home in Elmira, New York. He imported knives and other items from Germany and England.

He did not pursue domestic production until the tariffs of 1891 were enacted. In about 1895, he contracted with Sherwood/Bingham in Camillus, New York. He subsequently took over that manufacturer, but then relocated to Perry, New York in 1899 or 1900.

He sold the Camillus factory to the Kastor Brothers and it became Camillus Cutlery Company.

Robeson's German made knives and razors are of good quality.

Here is a German made pearl handled physician's or pharmacist's knife from the 1891 - 1895 time frame.

Charlie
Attachments
ThreeBlade7B.jpg
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Sidlow Baxter
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Thank you Charlie. I know i ask a lot of questions but there is so much to learn and not enough time.
Millard had good 'taste' or artistic sense. Very fine vintage German Robeson; the pearl looks to be well rounded along top and bottom edges.
Robeson began making knives in 1895 but when did he cease to import knives from Germany ?
kj
RobesonsRme.com
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Roland, the items I've seen all have "GERMANY" somewhere on them, so those were post 1891. In order to avoid the added tariff fees, he sought out Sherwood/Bingham in about 1895, so I would think he stopped importation at the same time.

He was buying Robeson marked knives from Sherwood, but the company floundered. Robeson assumed control and when he was induced to move into a closed harvester factory n Perry, NY, he took the foreman and a good many of the Sherwood workers with him.

Here is a knife I'm pretty sure was made by Sherwood/Bingham.

If I remember correctly, it is marked, ROBESON / CUTLERY Co. / WARRANTED

Charlie
Attachments
RobesonWarrantedJack.jpg
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Sidlow Baxter
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Wow, what a beautiful oval jack knife, much artistry in the design. It is instantly appealing.
kj
RobesonsRme.com
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Sherwood and his brother-in-law, Bingham were both immigrant cutlers from Sheffield and a good many of their workers were, as well.

Their knives, made in Camillus, look like old Sheffield knives.

Charlie
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Sidlow Baxter
RobesonsRme.com
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Well, the little pearl handled lobster arrived today.

I'm a bit perplexed, as what I have does not conform to any published information.

The knife is only 2 1/2" long, excluding the bail, so it's a dainty little thing.

It's in great condition. All blades walk and talk with significant and audible snaps. There are a few little scattered spots, but nothing really significant. There is no evidence of use and the knife has never been sharpened beyond that done at the factory.

There are long pulls on all blades.

All blades have sunk joints like those on their PocketEze knives.

The nickel-silver liners are nicely coined.

There are no cracks or chips in the pearl handles, although there is a bit of loss around a couple of the pins.

Three of the four blades are marked. The scissors are not. The file blade is the only one with a complete stamp. The "O" in "CO" has been ground away on the master spear and the pen.

The stamp on the file is ROBESON / CUTLERY CO, but I was not able to get a legible scan of that tang. I'll try again later.

The "O" in "CO" is upper case instead of lower and there is no line under it, which is usually an indication of German Manufacture.

I have never seen that stamp before and it is not shown in Tom Kalcevic's book, Knives Can Talk!.

All other similar known stamps are found on German or English made knives and date anywhere from 1885 to 1895, according to Kalcevic.

I have no firm conviction that this knife is that age, but I suspect it is close.

There is no country of origin on the knife anywhere.

The most perplexing thing is the knife has a valid Robeson pattern number, 743 / 202 in two lines on the back of the master spear.. The "7" denotes pearl handles, the "4" four blades, the "3" nickel-silver liners and the "202" is the handle die shape number.

I have never seen a pre-1900 German import Robeson knife with a pattern number.

I cannot find it right now, but I'm pretty sure I have read that Robeson did not institute their numbering system until after they moved to Perry, New York in 1899 or 1900.

Whatever the knife is, I think it is circa 1900 and possibly a very early product from the plant in Perry.

Charlie
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Sidlow Baxter
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Might Robeson have contracted out to a German manufacturer for unfinished knives and then installed master blade with pattern # in house, making it officially a domestic not import ?
A mystery knife for sure.
kj
woodwalker

Post by woodwalker »

Charlie it is a very nice little knife! Half the fun of finding one is the researching of it. I think finding one that has you perplexed can only mean digging a little deeper. Anyways it is a nice little pearl that you didn't have and I am glad you can add it to your collection. Enjoy your weekend! :)
RobesonsRme.com
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

I took some better photos outside today. Those scans were terrible.

Left click to expand and turn upright.

Charlie
Attachments
IMG_20171202_133312_edit.jpg
IMG_20171202_133341_edit1.jpg
IMG_20171202_133226_edit.jpg
IMG_20171202_133250_edit.jpg
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Sidlow Baxter
woodwalker

Post by woodwalker »

Good photos Charlie! Shows the fire in the MOP. Three blades and a pair of scissors on such a little one! Neat find!!
RobesonsRme.com
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Thanks everybody. It is a sweet little knife and has been in my pocket since I got it.

Roland, I don't know. That seems a little far fetched.

If I ignore the tang stamps, it looks like a premium Robeson pearl handled multiblade.

I looked in the Robeson catalog reprint that Dave Clark published and there is a sleeveboard pearl lobster just one digit off this one.

I think the knife was fully manufactured by Robeson in Perry, New York.

Charlie
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Sidlow Baxter
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Maybe not too far fetched. Robeson already had a business relationship with a Solingen knife manufacturer for the Robeson/Germany knives he was selling. Requesting unfinished knives might have been a way around trade restrictions and would have allowed his own cutlers more time to ramp up.
I'm thinking of the time period when Robeson first began USA manufacture, circa 1895 ?
kj
RobesonsRme.com
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

We will not know the truth of this knife unless more are found or a catalog turns up showing the knife.

Or another knife of any pattern shows up with these tang stamps.
Charlie
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Sidlow Baxter
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Just to make sure i understand: "Robeson/Cutlery CO" is the marking to be on the look out for ?
I have a few vintage Robeson pearl Lobster/Gent's knives so i will check them today.
kj
RobesonsRme.com
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Correct. Two lines. All caps.

No line under the "O" in "CO". I'm not sure about a period after "CO". This knife doesn't have one, but that does mean there isn't supposed to be one.

No country of origin, on any blade.

With or without a valid Robeson pattern number.

No "Rochester".

No "ShurEdge".

Does not necessarily have to be a pearl handled knife.

Charlie
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Sidlow Baxter

Return to “Robeson Cutlery Company Collector's Forum”