An Interesting Ebay Knife

The first Robeson knives were imported by Millard Robeson from England and Germany exclusively. This continued from 1979 until 1896 when Robeson began manufacturing knives in the United States. Since inception, the company has gone through several reorganizations & eventually ended up as a Queen Cutlery brand.
RobesonsRme.com

An Interesting Ebay Knife

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ROBESON-FOLDING ... SwtUNZ35q7

This is an interesting knife.

Firstly, the seller has posted the pattern number incorrectly. It is actually and obviously from the photos, 722110.

This is a rather common pattern. I think there are two on Ebay right now.

However, this knife has only the one blade. The pattern number calls for two.

I have never seen a knife of this pattern with only one blade.

The seller's photos are not great, but I see in them no evidence the knife has been taken apart and there is no broken tang at the opposite end.

I suppose a good knife mechanic could have reprofiled this, but I am leaning toward it having left the factory like this.

I have seen several Robeson knives over the years with pattern numbers that did not totally match the knife, i.e. handle material, etc. I think the cutler just simply picked up the wrong master blade or one that should not have been in the bin that day. Who knows?

But, this one is curious.

My two blade example at the bottom.

The Ebay photos should expand a bit.

Charlie Noyes
Attachments
Robeson 722110 Single 1.jpg
Robeson 722110 Single 2.jpg
Robeson 722110 Single 3.jpg
Robeson 722110 Single 4.jpg
Robeson 722110 Single 5.jpg
Robeson 722110 Single 6.jpg
Robeson 722110 Single 7.jpg
722110B.jpg
722110B.jpg (14.77 KiB) Viewed 3241 times
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
XX Case XX

Re: An Interesting Ebay Knife

Post by XX Case XX »

I'm going to watch that Charlie and see what happens as now I'm curious too. Heck if it doesn't get much attention, I might buy it.

I work hard so my Dog can have a better life...
zzyzzogeton

Post by zzyzzogeton »

The seller's text description states he/she thinks the knife is missing a blade. And one of the pics shows what appears to be the stub of a broken blade.

As far the 7 missing from the title, I've seen more than one auction title with characters missing due to the seller trying to do things in a hurry and not paying attention to details.
RobesonsRme.com

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

In the next to last photo, do you think that is a broken blade at one end? I thought it was a continuation of the backspring, such as one sees on single bladed jacks.

If it is a broken tang, someone has ground it down to be flush, sort of, with the frame.

Charlie
Attachments
Robeson 722110 Single 7-B.jpg
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
#goldpan

Post by #goldpan »

Its hard to say from the photos but I say it looks like a butt spring to me.... :lol:
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Broken off blade, ground off as much as possible without marking up the knife.
I could be wrong. I have been wrong, uhhh, a few times.
kj
XX Case XX

Post by XX Case XX »

RobesonsRme.com wrote:In the next to last photo, do you think that is a broken blade at one end? I thought it was a continuation of the backspring, such as one sees on single bladed jacks.

If it is a broken tang, someone has ground it down to be flush, sort of, with the frame.

Charlie
It's hard to tell for sure Charlie as the photos are not very good as you originally stated, but it does kind of look like a broken blade. I'm still going to keep an eye on it though just to see what happens.

I work hard so my Dog can have a better life...

Return to “Robeson Cutlery Company Collector's Forum”