Robeson/Demonstrator

The first Robeson knives were imported by Millard Robeson from England and Germany exclusively. This continued from 1979 until 1896 when Robeson began manufacturing knives in the United States. Since inception, the company has gone through several reorganizations & eventually ended up as a Queen Cutlery brand.
kootenay joe

Robeson/Demonstrator

Post by kootenay joe »

From 1911-1939 Robeson marked some of the blade tangs with "Demonstrator" under the word "Robeson".
I can find no information about the Robeson Demonstrator knives. Were these a 'lower line' than the other Robeson's. Were they made by Robeson ? Why are they so rarely seen and not even mentioned by knife collectors ?
thanks for some help, roland
RobesonsRme.com

Re: Robeson/Demonstrator

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

Roland,most of the Demonstrator knives I've seen had a pressure molded hard rubber handle material. I have seen some with bone handles, all belonging to the same dealer. The bone was not recognizable as a Robeson material and I was never convinced they were original to the knife. The man cleaned every knife he sold, so I suspect he also rehandled some or had the work done by somebody else.

He bought a knife at a show once and had it laying on his table. It was in excellent, unsharpened condition, but with a grey patina throughout. I tried to buy it. He would not sell. He said he needed to clean it before he could sell it. I told him I wanted it just the way it was. He said he could get more money for it after he had cleaned it. He wouldn't even negotiate on it.

Back to the Demonstrators. They are thought to have been salesman's sample knives for "demonstration" purposes only.

Interestingly, I've only seen about a half dozen different patterns and almost surely there was not a Demonstrator for every pattern they made. So, I really don't know what their purpose might have been, unless it was just a demonstration of the quality of workmanship. But, if that was the case, why not put on their best handle material?

I think we do not actually know why they were made or what their purpose was.

I've seen five inch coke bottle folding hunters, five inch toothpicks, medium to large jacks and a nice Eureka pattern with two blades.

There have been a couple on Ebay just recently. One was a toothpick. I forget what the other was, possibly the same.

Just about every one I've ever seen had the "ShurEdge" bowtie type shield. I have never seen this shield on anything other than a Demonstrator marked knife.

I suspect one could put together a nice collection of Robeson Demonstrator knives, although I suspect the collection would never exceed more than a dozen knives. And, the handles are hardly attractive. They do not outgas, but they will shrink a touch.

Charlie
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

Charlie you are such a blessing to this forum. Thank you for your input.
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
RobesonsRme.com

Thanks, Phil.

This is the only Robeson Demonstrator I've ever owned and I've had it a very long time. Pretty sure I got this at The Blade Show in 1989.

I never really saw any reason to get another. I had a nice example of the tang stamp.

It's been buffed, but it's a nice pattern.

Charlie
Attachments
EurekaDemoB.jpg
DemonstratorStamp.jpg
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
RobesonsRme.com

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Sidlow Baxter
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Thank you Charlie. I did not expect a reply to include a 'mystery', i.e. why & what are the Demonstrator knives ?
I shoulda held off until the 2 auctions you linked to were closed !
"Demonstrator" is one of the few knives i don't already own !
kj
RobesonsRme.com

Roland, I probably should not have posted those links to Ebay. I figured they might have been what initiated your question.

Hope I didn't spark any additional interest in them. ::facepalm::

Charlie
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Sidlow Baxter
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Charlie it's fine with me. The good thing i find with ebay is, once you start looking for a certain knife, it tends to show up and more than once. There will be future Demonstrator knives and one might fly under the radar, just for me.
I just spent a moderate amount for a vintage Puukko by one of the most famous Finnish Smiths, Olavi Kemppainen. It is a great score. I could not be happier. I don't need another knife today.
kj
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifeaholic »

That same seller had a small Robeson dogleg with genuine pearl handles - the listing said that it had the Robeson Demonstrator stamp. I think it ended last night.
Steve Pfeiffer, author of Collecting Case Knives: Identification and Price Guide published by Krause Publications.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

The pearl Dogleg Demonstrator had plain flat white pearl, looks low end, not a bright pearl with colors that one expects of a Robeson. Backside pearl had bad cracks at one end. It sold for very little $. I shoulda bid in retrospect but it just was not an attractive knife. Ah don't want no ugly knife !
kj

Return to “Robeson Cutlery Company Collector's Forum”