Old Robeson 642088 restamped F.C.Co 1900-1916

The first Robeson knives were imported by Millard Robeson from England and Germany exclusively. This continued from 1979 until 1896 when Robeson began manufacturing knives in the United States. Since inception, the company has gone through several reorganizations & eventually ended up as a Queen Cutlery brand.
dodgin2

Old Robeson 642088 restamped F.C.Co 1900-1916

Post by dodgin2 »

Traded for this old knife and didn't know anything about it until reading some posts on here. This is what I think it is. A 4 1/8" Robeson congress #642088 that has been restamped F. C. co (Fulton Cutlery Company) and sold to them. You can still see part of the old Robeson stamp on one blade. And this dates the knife between 1900-1916. Old greenbone handles with a tight crack across the front but hard to see. Also rattail bolsters and 3 different blade shapes 2 small pen blades a large spear and a large sheepfoot. I read somewhere that most Robeson congress just had 2 different blade shapes. It still snaps great and is very sturdy not bad for a hundred + year old knife. I would appreciate any comments if I'm correct or way off base about this knife. Thanks, Ben
Attachments
P1160297.JPG
P1160299.JPG
P1160293.JPG
P1160289.JPG
RobesonsRme.com

Re: Old Robeson 642088 restamped F.C.Co 1900-1916

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

Ben, that's a nice knife. ::tu::

Now I know why I was a bit confused by our e-mail conversation re' this knife. Those are what I know as "pinched" bolsters, not "rat tail" bolsters.

However, a Robeson 088 Congress should be 3 3/4" long closed.

Your knife is more similar to a 208 pattern, which was 4 1/8" long closed. However, my 208 has two sheepfoots and two pens and your knife has a spear.

Robeson made Congress knives with four different blades, three different blades, two different blades, and probably with two identical blades, but I cannot speak as to which of those was more frequently produced.

I do not have a knife like yours. I have a catalog reprint, so I'll look to see if your knife is illustrated there.

Here is my 642208 pattern Congress.

Your old Fulton Cutlery Company knife is very nice and right now I cannot say I've ever seen another.

Charlie Noyes
Attachments
642208B.jpg
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
msteele6

Post by msteele6 »

I would also call those "pinched bolsters", it looks like you took the very end of the bolster and pinched it between your thumb and finger leaving a depression on the end of the bolster. Rattail bolsters are the ones that appear to be cut using a rattail file.

The stampings on the OP knife almost looks like it was a second. Did Fulton sell Robeson seconds, similar to the manner Eagle Phila. sold NYK seconds?
dodgin2

Post by dodgin2 »

Thanks Charlie for the info. and I looked again in my knife book and it showed a 642208 in the 4 1/8" congress and your knife looks a lot like mine. And as for it being a second and sold to Fulton Cutlery I don't know about that. And any further info. would be appreciated. Thanks, Ben
RobesonsRme.com

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

I have seen a lot of Fulton Cutlery Company knives. Every one was a Robeson and all had a remnant of a Robeson stamp.

However, I have never seen one I would consider a second or defective in any way.

I have actually seen some beautiful Fultons.

Charlie Noyes
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter

Return to “Robeson Cutlery Company Collector's Forum”