Help with Robeson 616407

The first Robeson knives were imported by Millard Robeson from England and Germany exclusively. This continued from 1979 until 1896 when Robeson began manufacturing knives in the United States. Since inception, the company has gone through several reorganizations & eventually ended up as a Queen Cutlery brand.
ludwig26

Help with Robeson 616407

Post by ludwig26 »

I bought this one and when it came in I noticed it was barely tipped. I'm wondering what the overall open length should be. How hard is this knife to come by.It is marked Robeson suredge Rochester. It has bone handles and end to end measurement open is 8.5" as it is. I don't know whether to send it back or keep it.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
djknife13
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Re: Help with Robeson 616407

Post by djknife13 »

It appears to me that it has been used and perhaps sharpened a few times already, or at least will need sharpening which will take the point down to where it would be if it wasn't tipped or darn close to it. If I paid a premium price for a full blade I would probably send it back. If I paid for a used knife in excellent condition I would sharpen it to it's original, although a bit shorter shape.____Dave
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

Looks like a pretty nice old Robeson to me. Where does the blade tip rest with the knife closed? If it's half way or more down the tail end bolster I don't think I'd worry about it. But as Dave said it depends on what the knife was purported to be in the sale also.
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
RobesonsRme.com

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

The length of a vintage knife in the opened position is a dubious test, at best.

The knives were assembled and ground by humans, not computer controlled machines. If you found a new-old-stock box of 1/2 dozen vintage knives, I suspect you'd find some variance in their lengths in the opened position.

If you paid less than $150.00 for that knife, I would suggest keeping it and doing nothing to it.

If you wish to collect an old Robeson toothpick, you've got one and they are hard to find from that time period, which I suspect is the 1930's or earlier and really difficult to find in brown bone.

I've been collecting Robesons since 1988, bought over 400 knives and I've never had one. Not saying I've never seen one, just never saw one I wanted.

I do have a mint one from the 1950's with strawberry bone and I paid $100.00 for that one.

Charlie
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
ludwig26

Post by ludwig26 »

Thanks for the responses. I paid 35.00 including shipping.
It has one real tight crack in the bone and then the blade issue but it is tight and snappy with no wobble. I included a picture of it closed up, it hits about mid bolster. It sounds like I did ok.
Now should I sharpen it to return to a point or leave it be?
Attachments
image.jpeg
terryl308
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by terryl308 »

If it were mine, I wouldn't do anything with it except admire it. Nice ole knife! ::tu:: Terry
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
RobesonsRme.com

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

Did you buy it "collect" or to carry and use?

If to collect, wipe it down with mineral oil, if to carry and use, make the blade usable and the tip sharp.

At thirty-five dollars, you did really well.

Charlie
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
ludwig26

Post by ludwig26 »

Thanks for the responses. I wiped it down with mineral oil, polished with a soft cloth and put it with the other toothpicks. I also started gathering up some books on Robeson knives. I have several Robesons but know little about them.
Kerry

Return to “Robeson Cutlery Company Collector's Forum”