A Robeson Bolster Lock Fishing Knife

The first Robeson knives were imported by Millard Robeson from England and Germany exclusively. This continued from 1979 until 1896 when Robeson began manufacturing knives in the United States. Since inception, the company has gone through several reorganizations & eventually ended up as a Queen Cutlery brand.
RobesonsRme.com
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

A Robeson Bolster Lock Fishing Knife

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

This knife sold on Ebay a few weeks ago for $381.00, a good price in this economy.

Hard to tell from the photos, but it looks to be in original condition. Might have been cleaned and if so, it was done really well.

I have one of these, but it was cleaned before I bought it.

This would have been a nice upgrade, I think, but I'm not putting that kind of money into Robeson knives these days.

These Robeson bolster lock knives are hard to find in good condition, they only made a few patterns and they are very interesting knives, very innovative.

Their only drawbacks were that the spring-steel loaded lock had a tendency to break and the bone overlying the lock was unsupported when the blade was open and could be broken by a misplaced thumb or wrapped around forefinger.

I see about as many broken as not.

Charlie
Attachments
Robeson Fish Bolster Lock 1.jpg
Robeson Fish Bolster Lock 2.jpg
Robeson Fish Bolster Lock 3.jpg
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
djknife13
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Re: A Robeson Bolster Lock Fishing Knife

Post by djknife13 »

Wow that really is an attractive knife. I've never seen one before. Robeson really did make alot of really good looking knives. Someone told me once that if Robeson would have had a book written about them like Case did, that there would have been much more chatter over the years about Robeson and less about Case. They're Red bone sure is second to none. ___Dave
RobesonsRme.com
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

Bruce Voyles posited that alternative reality in the preface to the Robeson section in his price guide to antique knives.

In his opinion, Robeson had everything going for it that Case did, history, quality, easily dated periods of manufacture. Everything except that book that Colonel Mays published that started it all.

Kind of like if Earl Scruggs had played a Bacon & Day five string instead of that pieced together Gibson Grenada.

Problem is, it was what it was and it is what it is.

Case and Gibson are pre-eminent.

Robeson and Bacon & Day are also-rans...

Charlie Noyes
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

I would like to have a nice bone handle one like this ::drool::

I do have a yellow cell handle one :|
AAPK Janitor

Return to “Robeson Cutlery Company Collector's Forum”