Robeson Cutlery Company Factory, circa 1900 or So

The first Robeson knives were imported by Millard Robeson from England and Germany exclusively. This continued from 1979 until 1896 when Robeson began manufacturing knives in the United States. Since inception, the company has gone through several reorganizations & eventually ended up as a Queen Cutlery brand.
RobesonsRme.com
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Robeson Cutlery Company Factory, circa 1900 or So

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

This postally used vintage postcard showed up on Ebay this past week.

Although I am not buying Robeson knives anymore, the history of the company and anything pertaining to it, still gets my attention in a great way.

This card was not cheap. I have never paid this kind of money for a postcard before, unless it was one of those scarce Red Pig multi-colored ones. (I still do not have all of those)

The interesting thing about this card is it looks as though the photo was made before Robeson constructed the four story addition up the street to the left of what is shown on the card.

That building was built in, I believe, 1903, the same year that Millard F. Robeson died.

They moved to Perry, New York in 1899 or 1900, so I think the photo is circa 1900 or so.

I suspect that wall of stacked timbers and those large 8 x8's on the ground to the left suggests a construction site, though.

The stamp has been removed and the postmark is a bit distorted. If I had to state a date, I'd say it says 1909, which is not consistent with the photo. I suppose the card could predate its mailing date. Maybe it says, 1903, but it's hard to tell.

I do think that's a very fine looking draft horse harnessed to that wagon. ::tu::

And, I have to wonder if the gentleman in the coat and bowler hat might be Millard Robeson or one of his sons, Irving S, George W. or Robert.

We'll never know.

And check out the clothing on the lady walking down the sidewalk toward downtown Perry.

That wooden sign was still hanging on that brick building when it was destroyed. I often wonder if anyone thought to salvage that. It's a crying shame if they did not.

I'd love to see it. I'd love to touch it, just once.

Wonder what it would be worth today?

Anyway, here is what I believe to be the second earliest photograph of The Robeson Cutlery Company in Perry, New York, that I have ever seen.

The earliest shows no possible construction to the left. (see below)

Feel free to copy these for your files, if desired.

Photos should enlarge with one or two left mouse clicks.

Charlie Noyes
Attachments
Robeson Cutlery Co circa 1900 or So.jpg
RobesonCutCo.jpg
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Robeson Cutlery Company Factory, circa 1900 or So

Post by gsmith7158 »

Charlie, thats a great find. I love historical photos and accounts of the bulding of this great country in any field but when you find one related to the cutlery business it makes it twice as nice.
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Charlie,
I notice on the water tower what is part of a Robeson logo "Shuredge". On the little white building, what is written on the wall, between the door and the bldg. corner? Can't make it out ::shrug:: .
Great pictures and the Red Pig cards are really neat! Now if I can just run across another Robeson pocket knife, I'll have a grand total of 3 ::facepalm:: .
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
RobesonsRme.com
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

I used a 10X loupe to see if I could read that and as far as I can tell, it says:

"GIRLS NEEDED"

I did a little crop work on the photo and here is what I got.

Apparently, they were still hiring.

It does look like "GIRLS HEALED", but somehow I think my first interpretation was correct. ::facepalm::

Charlie
Attachments
Girls Needed.jpg
Girls Needed.jpg (50.31 KiB) Viewed 2184 times
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
RobesonsRme.com
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Yes, the ShurEdge logo is on the water tower on the postcard I just bought.

The water tower is not present on the earlier photo.

I have two letterheads from 1901 and 1902. Neither have the word "ShurEdge" on them.

Both show the Perry, New York factory, but neither show the water tower.

They do show a registered trade mark of the word ROCHESTER in a flowing banner. I have straight razors with that trade mark etched on the blade.

Here are the two letterheads.

I have read, but do not recall where, that Robeson began using the ShurEdge logo in 1903.

I also know that the new four story building (including the basement) was among the first in Perry to have a built-in fire control sprinkler system, which would have required an elevated water tower to gravity feed such a system.

Charlie Noyes
Attachments
RobesonCutleryLetterhead1.jpg
RobesonCutleryLetterhead2.jpg
RobPlantColorCard1.JPG
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Sidlow Baxter

Return to “Robeson Cutlery Company Collector's Forum”