Robeson extreames

The first Robeson knives were imported by Millard Robeson from England and Germany exclusively. This continued from 1979 until 1896 when Robeson began manufacturing knives in the United States. Since inception, the company has gone through several reorganizations & eventually ended up as a Queen Cutlery brand.
FRJ

Re: Robeson extreames

Post by FRJ »

Thank you, OLDE CUTLER, and Charlie, and Jtx.

Jtx, I have that book and surnuf, there it is. Thank you.
Joe
Jtx
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Jtx »

OLDE CUTLER wrote: Thanks for your info.
Using that pattern # guide, what would 033750 be? Mine looks just like the picture that Joe posted looking at the back of the knife, that is I see 5 "layers", handle, spring, center divider, spring, handle. If it had nickel silver liners would it have 7 "layers" looking at the back? Or are they recessed inside the handles? Mine certainly does not have nickel silver liners.
According to this book, your knife (with 3 as the third digit) would have "silver linings and bolsters". I can't explain the descrepancy between your knife and the key in the book. As I said, my knife does not match up with the key either.
RobesonsRme.com
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

These knives are not all that old. They were made in the late 50's, early 60's when Robeson was a failing company trying to compete and survive.

The 750 stockman was an old pattern and they simply came up with the most inexpensive way of making the knife they could.

They also made it with cheap looking black slab plastic handles with a jigging pattern to it.

They revived an old tang stamp for it and that confuses everybody that doesn't know the history of the knives.

I suspect they did not adhere to their pattern numbering system with any degree of accuracy, either. Rather than create a new number for the handles, they just used whatever somebody thought fit.

I did some searches last night on AAPK and I,myself, have previously posted that I'd seen these advertised as having nickel-silver handles.

If that was accurate and who knows at this point, I suspect Robeson, circa 1958,just considered the handles and liners as one. I have never seen one of these with actual separate liners in the frame.

I have never owned one of these knives. I've never liked them, though I'm sure they were totally serviceable knives.

I do know they made a 750 stockman with smooth polished nickel-silver handles, but that was pre-WWII and a totally different animal than these.

Charlie Noyes
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

Thanks for your interesting comments on these Robeson metal knives, Charlie. Sure can get confusing at times. I agree that there isn't much to like about them, kind of alien, character less knives, nothing like the bone or wood we all love. I bought this one I have for $3 at a flea market because I had never seen one before and it was different. Your assessment of Robeson in their final years trying to make a buck is surely hitting the nail on the head. But as a utilitarian tool, they would have certainly been a step ahead of a similar knife with all plastic handles. I haven't seen one of those, yet.
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"

Return to “Robeson Cutlery Company Collector's Forum”