Serpentine Jack 623480

The first Robeson knives were imported by Millard Robeson from England and Germany exclusively. This continued from 1979 until 1896 when Robeson began manufacturing knives in the United States. Since inception, the company has gone through several reorganizations & eventually ended up as a Queen Cutlery brand.
LongBlade

Serpentine Jack 623480

Post by LongBlade »

I found this Robeson Serpentine (or Dogleg) Jack in a local hunt recently and finally got some photos. This was one of those opportunities that came along - not in my collection focus but always thought Robeson is a classic older cutlery... and Charlie sure likes them :D ... Accordingly I wasn't going to leave this one behind based on the following - I'm fond of jacks, serpentine patterns, condition was good and the price was very right :wink: - blades though sharpened appear full length (at least the master and believe pen blade is near full as well), good snap on both blades, brass liners and one solid knife (3 & 5/16" closed)... Anyway - from the tang stamp "Robeson (arched)/U.S.A./Cutlery" it appears to have been made between 1917-1939. Only master blade was stamped and back side of master tang had a stamp with the model # "623480". There is not a tang stamp on pen blade. No shield (actually don't think it ever had one based on front scale) and jigged black composition handles in great shape. Interesting jack design to me in that the nail nicks for master and pen blades were on opposite sides of knife with pen blade on pile side... BTW - this knife bit me today playing with it :roll: - razor sharp blades for sure ::nod::

I would very much appreciate any other info on this knife... or observations from the "seasoned" Robeson collectors about it (for example did some not have shields??, was this a common pattern?, etc etc)... don't know much about Robeson other than it was a quality old company!! Thanks fellas!!! ::tu::
Blades Open Front DSCN4855A.jpg
Blades Open Back DSCN4860A.jpg
Tang Stamp Master Front DSCN4881A.jpg
Model # Master Back DSCN4887A.jpg
(As an aside - now my collection is starting to evolve for good reason into having a smaller special category called "Special Opportunties" - a few other knives in this category, just as examples, are my Camillus 72 with Rogers Bone (short line stamp), Walden Knife Co Hawkbill Pruner, Case 6280 and Schrade Walden Sheepsfoot, original Schatt & Morgan Tidioute PA Stockman and a few others - heck this part of my collection is getting larger than I thought 8) - funny how collections evolve - still have the same focus for the great majority of my knives but added a few that no doubt were speaking to me ::paranoid:: )...

Cheers
Lee

Re: Serpentine Jack 623480

Post by FRJ »

Lee, these are terrific little knives.
When I went to Spokane a year and a half ago this was my only carry.
Yours is a beauty. I think it's older than mine, but I could easily be wrong.
Mine has Delrin covers (I think) and nickel silver liners. No stamp on pen.
Love those bolsters.
Attachments
R C Co. 2.jpg
R C Co. 1.jpg
R C CO 3.jpg
R C Co..jpg
Joe
RobesonsRme.com
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

Nice knives, both of them.

The tang stamp dating information for Robeson's was established by Tom Kalcevic in Knives Can Talk!.

The accuracy of any of that is not known, but I, as a Robeson collector, do use Tom's dates, but when I post anything using the dates, I try to always make attribution to him and/or his book.

I find it a little odd that the OP knife has a pre-WWII stamp and black pressure molded composition handles. The pattern number with that first digit "6" calls for bone handles. Generally, we tend to think of knives that should have bone handles, but have pressure molded composition handles instead, as having been produced during or shortly after WWII, when bovine leg bones were not readily available.

The material on the OP knife is a readily recognizable Robeson handle.

Robeson used that serpentine frame with the slant bolsters for some three blade stock knives as well.

Every one I've ever seen had the backs of the blades flush with the frame, whether the knife had a "PocketEze" shield or not.

BTW, there is very credible evidence that suggests those pressure molded black composition handles were supplied by Rogers Bone.

Charlie
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
wlf

Post by wlf »

I noticed little shrinkage in the handles Lee. Nice knives Lee and Joe.

Did I tell you Charlie,I bought a farmers jack from Tom at the GEC Rendezvous?

For some reason he brought it with him to Tidioute??? It was not in that great a shape, a Camillus. Tickled me,I don't know why I didn't get a picture with him. You can see him in the last picture of post #137 that has people in it.Heading of the picture ,says"Sarah checking out Gary's fancy peanut". He is the fella in the red, blue,and white plaid shirt behind the lady up front. Very unassuming,no one knew who he was. I didn't until I began talking to him and we introduced ourselves....

He said he had only ever had that one Charlie,and yes,never knew of a Robeson farmers jack. :)

I think only recognized his name because of you Charlie,as I do not own his book.

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showt ... rendezvous
I buy roosters combs and farmers..........................................................jack knives [/b]

GEC SFOs and others at LICK CREEK CUTLERY- www.allaboutpocketknives.com/wlf

May the Father and Son bless
Lyle
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

Thanks Charlie for the info!! ::tu:: and thanks Joe (your Robeson is no doubt close and nice as well!!) and Lyle!!

Please excuse my ignorance Charlie but what is an "OP" knife? I think your rationale behind the date sounds very reasonable to me in that it may have been made during the beginning of WWII despite the tang stamp dating by Kalcevic (or perhaps the blades were stamped within that time period but weren't used on the knife until a few years after 1939)... perhaps that also explains no shield as metal was precious in WWII?? I love trying to figure out the history of these knives ::nod:: :D

In looking down at the knife from a top view I can now see that the master & pen blades are flush to the outside liner... cool!! The handles are indeed in great shape and little if no shrinkage at all - look like they were made yesterday Lyle :D ... interestingly the center liner is abit higher than the outside liners which you can see in the photos...

Post by wlf »

Lee, OP is internet abr. for original poster I believe.
I buy roosters combs and farmers..........................................................jack knives [/b]

GEC SFOs and others at LICK CREEK CUTLERY- www.allaboutpocketknives.com/wlf

May the Father and Son bless
Lyle
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

Thanks Lyle ::tu:: ... and I thought I knew most of the internet abbreviations at this point ::facepalm:: :lol: ....
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

Or, "Original Post".

It's a way of referring back to the subject matter at the top of the thread after multiple tangents have been explored and multiple rabbits chased about.

Charlie
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter

Return to “Robeson Cutlery Company Collector's Forum”