A Robeson Cutlery Collection On Display

The first Robeson knives were imported by Millard Robeson from England and Germany exclusively. This continued from 1979 until 1896 when Robeson began manufacturing knives in the United States. Since inception, the company has gone through several reorganizations & eventually ended up as a Queen Cutlery brand.
Joe58

Re: A Robeson Cutlery Collection On Display

Post by Joe58 »

Sweet fancy Moses! That's just incredible.

I'd be happy with just one of those nice displays instead of my old beat up ones. :)

Fantastic collection Charlie!
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

Awesome Charlie! Thanks for sharing!

Wayne
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
wlf

Post by wlf »

Amazing again Buddy, but in all those not a farmers jack??? ?? :) Make us aware when you start listing,but I guess we'll see 'em at the top.
I buy roosters combs and farmers..........................................................jack knives [/b]

GEC SFOs and others at LICK CREEK CUTLERY- www.allaboutpocketknives.com/wlf

May the Father and Son bless
Lyle
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

Good Lord have Mercy!!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

Can't believe I haven't seen this thread until now.... ::facepalm::

Do they pay you to set up at knife shows? They should!
SCOTT
HOME OF THE BRAVE! (not the scarety cats)

Colonial Knife Company History ebook:
https://gumroad.com/l/ZLDb
RobesonsRme.com

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

Thanks everybody. It's been a great run putting all this together.

I suspect it's been set up for the last time.

I have wanted to take it back to Eugene, OR one more time, but I don't think that's going to happen, as I will never ship the whole thing anywhere ever again. Once was enough. Traveling across country to Eugene and back to Birmingham would be a two or three week trip with all this in the back of an SUV.

I've thought about taking it up to one of the Pennsylvania knife shows, as there are a lot of AAPK folks up that way I'd like to meet, but it's looking like that's not going to happen either.

I've gotten e-mails recently, asking about purchasing certain knives and I have let go of fifteen nice knives.

Maybe someday, I will just set up a single table Terrier Cutlery Company display. There are good knife people currently assisting me in the search for good Terriers, so maybe I can grow that collection a bit.

Charlie
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
RobesonsRme.com

I'm bumping this up, as there are a lot of new people here.

Gloating, I know. ::mdm::

Charlie
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
montemojo

Post by montemojo »

Most impressive Charlie, you have done a fantastic job putting all of this together. I commend you for your obvious persistence and focus. Thanks for bumping this up. Maybe I should buy a lotto ticket or two. If I won I would give you a buzz. ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::

Monte
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

Charlie, I never get tired of looking at your collection. I probably go back to this thread every couple months just to look at it. I do love Robesons, but I only have about 15 of them.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
Duffer

Post by Duffer »

Charlie I have viewed, admired and been awe struck by the breadth and scope of your fabulous Robeson collection! I have visited this thread a number of times and I just had to comment and bump it back up! As you know I am very interested and fascinated with the Pocket Eze, Mastercraft, No-Rustain and Perma Lube Robeson lines. Thanks for helping me acquire a few of your prize specimens. It has been such a pleasure and treat to correspond with you and "cherry pick" some of your beautiful knives. As others have said I wish I had the resources ($$) to buy the whole or remaining collection but I am just a poor retired guy ::teary_eyes:: Thanks for indulging me! Lloyd
Lloyd
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

When Charlie displayed his collection at Dalton, I made the trek there just so I could see his collection on display. It was well worth the drive. I've been fortunate to be able to acquire a few of his knives (sadly very few) and fully intend to hang on to them till I leave this world. I can scarcely imagine the time, focus, and dedication it took him to build this amazing collection. There may be other collections just as impressive, but I've yet to see one.
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
bestgear
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by bestgear »

I clearly remember when Charlie and I opened a dialogue about one knife in his collection that I needed badly for mine. When I asked Charlie if he'd be willing to part with it he wasn't ready at the time. A year or so later I checked-in again with Charlie and this time he was ready to make a transaction and move the knife from his museum to mine. When he stated the price I didn't even haggle - I knew it was a once in a lifetime opportunity and that I was blessed to be considered to be the new caretaker.

I'm fortunate that I have a son who is equally as passionate about vintage knives as I am and having a line of succession for my collection. I can't imagine going through a lifetime of collecting and have to part it out at point in life where you have the time to fully appreciate what you had collected all those years. It takes a special kind of man to give-up his worldly possessions so that those left behind don't have to. Charlie is a good man and I will always cherish our sole transaction.
Tom
AAPK Administrator

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.
RobesonsRme.com

You guys are too kind.

Thank you. ::tu::

Charlie
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Sidlow Baxter
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Charlie, thank you for giving this a bump. I had not seen your collection before. Very Impressive ! and an almost frightening amount of work. Saying 'never used' instead of 'near mint', about what percentage of these display knives are 'never used' ?
Are you wanting to downsize and part with some knives ?
kj
RobesonsRme.com

Roland, ballpark figure without doing an actual count would be 75 - 80% are unused, maybe more.

When I first started, I would buy a cleaned knife and I had a few cleaned myself by an elderly gentleman, Herb Aycock, a master technician.

After a while, I stopped buying such knives and limited myself to mint, near mint or excellent-plus, if the pattern was very rare and a better example unlikely.

And yes, I have been selling some knives.

Charlie
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Sidlow Baxter
Bamarick

Post by Bamarick »

Charlie,
Your Robeson collection is the best I've ever seen. They are some truly rare and beautiful pieces of history. I have somewhere around 75 to 80 vintage Robesons and I know how hard they are to come by, especially in excellent to mint condition. Most of mine came from Jim Sargent who you know very well. His shop is just around the corner from where I work so I've been fortunate to be able to handle literally hundreds of vintage knives. It is hard to imagine the time and resources you invested to build your collection. Thank you for sharing them with us here at AAPK and best wishes.
Ricky
stockman
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by stockman »

I'm so Thankful that I don't work around the corner from Jim's store, I would be so broke I couldn't eat.

Harold
RobesonsRme.com

I haven't been in Jim Sargent's shop in many years.

I know he has turned the knife business over to his son, Jace, but Jim still deals in vintage pocketknives. I saw him at the Blade Show and he had just as nice an offering as ever. His selection of Case and Remington knives was very impressive.

I know he misses Jean and he is looking a bit older himself.

He's a fascinating man. As I recall, he was a pilot for The Oak Ridge Nuclear Research Facility.

Probably has some great stories, some of which he cannot tell.

Charlie
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Sidlow Baxter

Return to “Robeson Cutlery Company Collector's Forum”