Robeson 132433

The first Robeson knives were imported by Millard Robeson from England and Germany exclusively. This continued from 1979 until 1896 when Robeson began manufacturing knives in the United States. Since inception, the company has gone through several reorganizations & eventually ended up as a Queen Cutlery brand.
DR_MAGOO

Robeson 132433

Post by DR_MAGOO »

Don't know if this is the correct pattern number or not. This knife belonged to my wife's grandfather. He died when she was a little girl sometime in the early 1950's. This was his EDC knife. Can anyone give me any info about how old it is and/or anything about the pattern number?
Attachments
ROBESON 132433.JPG
ROBESON STOCKMAN.JPG
ROBESON U.S.A..JPG
ROBESON.JPG
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Robeson 132433

Post by btrwtr »

The knife looks like a Robeson Carpenter's Choice knife. Is the blade on the opposite end a modified awl type? That is the correct pattern for a Carpenters knife but that is the only one I've ever seen with a bone handle. I think the first should be a 6 to denote bone.

Wayne
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr

Post by 0078 »

Nice old knife, maybe Mr. Noyes will come around to tell you more about it.

http://www.robesonsrme.com/page2.html
Where you plant your needs is where your garden grows.
DR_MAGOO

Post by DR_MAGOO »

btrwtr wrote:The knife looks like a Robeson Carpenter's Choice knife. Is the blade on the opposite end a modified awl type? That is the correct pattern for a Carpenters knife but that is the only one I've ever seen with a bone handle. I think the first should be a 6 to denote bone.

Wayne
Yes, I understand what you are saying. The information that I've always found doesn't agree with the stamping numbers on the blade. Just trying to get a clarification.
Thanks for your input. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
RobesonsRme.com
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

The knife is a Robeson Carpenter's knife. It was made between 1916 and 1932, according to Tom Kalcevic's data published in Knives Can Talk!

The vast majority of these had a smooth black composition handle and were numbered accordingly, 132433.

However, I have seen several bone handled examples, indeed, I have a bone handled example. Every single bone handled version I have seen had a master blade with the pattern number 132433. The bone handles all appear to be Robeson bone. The knives, in my humble opinion, were made at the Robeson factory in Perry, New York. They are genuine. Not fakes and not reworks. They have not been rehandled.

You know, they were not making knives for us collectors, they were making knives to sell, to make money. Somebody decided to build some with bone handles and they just continued using the blades they had on hand.

Here is my example. I have always labled this knife as a 632433 because it has bone handles, but the blade is actually stamped just like the OP knife, 132433. But there is no doubt that bone is Robeson.

Also, a version with the patented integral bolsters and liners and handles secured without pins.

Photos should expand times two with left mouse clicks.

Charlie Noyes
Attachments
632433B.jpg
138433B.jpg
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
junebug

Post by junebug »

AWESOME!!!
THANKS FOR THE ROBESON INSIDER SESSON,CHARLIE..........VERY COOL 8)
"Because tellin' people , i like having a SPYDIEHOLE sounds sooo much better than a THUMBHOLE"
- Junebug 2016
DR_MAGOO

Post by DR_MAGOO »

Charlie, I certainly to appreciate you providing the info about my wife's grandfathers knife. This will be passed on to my son to have for generations to come.
Thanks, :D
Magoo

Return to “Robeson Cutlery Company Collector's Forum”