robeson stag cheetah

The first Robeson knives were imported by Millard Robeson from England and Germany exclusively. This continued from 1979 until 1896 when Robeson began manufacturing knives in the United States. Since inception, the company has gone through several reorganizations & eventually ended up as a Queen Cutlery brand.
sextonknifeworks

robeson stag cheetah

Post by sextonknifeworks »

I picked up this knife today and had some questions?

Did Robeson have a name for this pattern? I know Case called them Cheetahs?

When was it made?

Is this a rare Robeson or were there many made?

The front tang is stamped" ROBESON SUREDGE USA" in 3 lines. The back tang is stamped 513872. Th blade has "ROBESON SUREDGE FROZEN HEAT" etched on it.

Here are some pics.
Attachments
dsc_0001.jpg
dsc_0002.jpg
dsc_0003.jpg
dsc_0004.jpg
tjmurphy

Re: robeson stag cheetah

Post by tjmurphy »

Don't know anything about it or it rarity, but I sure do like it ::tu:: ::tu::
"There are none so blind as those that refuse to see"

God Bless America - Though I don't know why he would want to.
chautauqua

Post by chautauqua »

i do know that they made that pattern as early as the late 1920s and anything made by robeson with stag is rare i would guess that yours is from late 40s or early 50s i have 3 of this pattern all in brown bone and i watch them go on ebay between $250 AND $400 in brown bone,but when charlie robesonsrme sees this and chimes in he will be able to tell you everything about it in detail nice knife and just a heads up robeson worked real hard at making the swing guard look nice on them and they rountinely ground them to well and the swing guards will come apart really easy as they finished away to much material many of them have this missing on them
my avatar is what happened the last time someone tried to sell me a bogus knife
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

Nice one!I have one that has(had)cream celluloid scales on it.One side destroyed itself and the other remained as new.Go figure! I wound up replacing only the destroyed scale with a piece of wood.It might not match but it makes the knife still serviceable.
Attachments
Robeson2.JPG
Robeson2.JPG (16.26 KiB) Viewed 4390 times
Robeson1.JPG
Robeson1.JPG (15.48 KiB) Viewed 4390 times
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
RobesonsRme.com

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

Robeson made close to a thousand different patterns of pocketknives. By the time of WWII, they were in big financial difficulties and were bought out by a businessman named Saul Frankel. That was in 1940. Frankel hired Emerson Case to run the company. They drastically reduced the number of available patterns, and did well with U.S. military contracts throughout the War. In 1948, they started using that beautiful strawberry bone. They eventually succumbed in 1965.

One of the patterns they continued after the War was the 872 folding hunter with folding guards. They made it in bone, yellow composition and genuine stag.

I think they only continued three, possibly four stag handled patterns after the War.

Your 513872 is a nice knife. If in mint or near mint condition, the value is about $250.00 or whatever someone is willing to pay for it.

The older pre-War examples command more money. They made two versions with a locking blade, one with a clip and one with a spear. I've never seen a spear bladed version that wasn't in near relic condition.

I've yet to see a non-locking Robeson 872, like yours, with a pre-War tang stamp. I think doing away with the locking blade mechanism was another cost saving move.

As a side note, it has been recently discovered that Robeson produced knives like yours with a bronze bearing imbedded in the backspring, making it a part of the Perma-Lube line. Take a look at your knife's backspring, where the end of the tang bares on it.

If the bronze bearing is there, the value of your knife goes up precipitously.

Charlie Noyes
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
sextonknifeworks

WOW, you are the man when it comes to Robesons.

I just checked and there is no bronze bearing.

When you talk pre and post war stamp are you referring to the Shuredge being in cursive?
RobesonsRme.com

Correct. Robeson ShurEdge marked knives made between about 1903 and 1940 have the word "ShurEdge" in cursive. The post 1940 knives have it in block letters.
Charlie Noyes
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifeaholic »

RobesonsRme.com wrote:Correct. Robeson ShurEdge marked knives made between about 1903 and 1940 have the word "ShurEdge" in cursive. The post 1940 knives have it in block letters.
Charlie Noyes
Charlie;

Did Robeson make the Perma Lube knives after WWII with the block letter stamping?

Also, I have seen examples of the posted knife with the block letter stamping in stag and in yellow - did you say they made it in bone as well? I have never seen one in strawberry bone with the block letter stamping.

Thanks
Steve Pfeiffer, author of Collecting Case Knives: Identification and Price Guide published by Krause Publications.
RobesonsRme.com

I think I stated "bone", not specifying strawberry bone.

I have a bone example, but I do not call it strawberry. The jigging is not the same and the color is a bit off. It has the proper pattern number 612872, for bone handles.

Here 'tis. The photo will expand with a left click, or two.

BTW; this is the only bone handled, post-war example I've ever seen. Maybe, they're rare.

Steve, I think they did continue with the Perma-Lube line after WWII. I only have one example of a Perma-Lube, a little whittler.

As you can see, it has a pre-war stamp.

Charlie Noyes
Attachments
20-612872.jpg
633661B.jpg
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Sidlow Baxter
sextonknifeworks

I would love to see a pic of the bronze bearing if you have one handy.
RobesonsRme.com

I don't.

Personally, Michael, I think if you're going to post knives and queries on AAPK just to garner information that you yourself do not possess, just so you can list the knife on Ebay to your maximum benefit, you should use one of the other forums and keep the commercial aspect off Knife Lore. That is not the purpose of this forum.

I'm happy to help you make money, but I'll not respond to any more such queries in this particular forum.

Charlie Noyes
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Sidlow Baxter
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

Charlie,

This one I just recently bought, which you were so kind to tell me about, has the Bronze bearing.

The tang stamp is very very light, I can only make out the "SHUREDGE" in block letters on the bottom.
Attachments
Robeson Shuredge.jpeg
Robeson Shuredge2.jpeg
AAPK Janitor
sextonknifeworks

I am sorry, I did not know I used knife lore. I just clicked new topic. What forum should I have used?

I did not know that it would get personal if you selected the wrong topic.
RobesonsRme.com

I did not mean for that to sound so offensive. It was terse and I apologize.

You had to have been in Knife Lore when you clicked "New Topic". You have posted queries repeatedly on Knife Lore about a knife or knives you have acquired, we discussed the knives at length and then you listed them on Ebay.

I don't really have a problem with that, just use a different forum and I and others will be glad to assist you.

I would suggest Knife Related Q&A.

Knife Lore is a forum for collectors to discuss the knives of their passions, not the place for a dealer to gather info for his next auction.

When I first joined AAPK, I naively began posting active Ebay auctions, not my own, for old vintage knives in Knife Lore. Several veteran members were offended by that and contacted the moderator who then contacted me and asked that I cease to do so. I got the message, so I'm passing it along.

Charlie Noyes
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Sidlow Baxter
sextonknifeworks

No problem, I just had never seen it prompt me to select a category or topic.

I think it is no suprise to everyone that I sell knives and do use the information gleaned from this website to help "sell" my knives but that is not the only reason I come here. Knives that are poorly described usually do not sell well. I try to help out on knives that I know a little about instead of always taking and never giving to the site.

I hope people do not view the guys that sell knives as villans because of their proffession. I do have a great passion for knives and Im crazy about them. I just consider myself lucky to sell knives and beat the bushes to find gems like this one.

You are still number one in my book when it comes to Robesons and I am sure you feel used sometimes in situations like these but there is just not enough printed material out there and websites like these are worth a kings ransom to me.
RobesonsRme.com

I've had my website, http://www.RobesonsRme.com, up for several years now. It has always had a Contact Me option. I have received hundreds of queries about Robeson knives over the years. I honestly think that over 90% of the knives I was asked to provide info, value, etc. for, turned up on Ebay within the week, using the same photos they sent to me and most of them used the information, ver batem, I had provided, as their item description.

I still do that when asked, but I stopped estimating values. I answer every E-mail I receive through my website.

I will gladly assist any AAPK member with these kinds of questions.

Like I said, just do it through Knife Related Q&A.

Sorry I started this little bruhaha. Let's move on. ::handshake::

Charlie Noyes
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Sidlow Baxter
sextonknifeworks

::handshake::
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

knifeaholic wrote: Did Robeson make the Perma Lube knives after WWII with the block letter stamping?
Thanks
Steve, the knife I posted on page one has the Perma Lube bearing and it has the block lettering stamping.

Here is a picture of the Bronze bearing...............
Attachments
23.jpg
23.jpg (16.71 KiB) Viewed 3326 times
AAPK Janitor
cattaraugus57

Post by cattaraugus57 »

Great picture...that's very interesting...I wonder how they fused the 2 different metals? :?
"whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these Ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government"
chautauqua

Post by chautauqua »

i would guess they would silver solder the bronze and steel,that would be the easiest,cheapest and pretty durable in an application like that,it also looks like an easy way to repair worn backsprings
my avatar is what happened the last time someone tried to sell me a bogus knife
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifeaholic »

Thanks Dimitri

I will have to look at the ones that I have.
Steve Pfeiffer, author of Collecting Case Knives: Identification and Price Guide published by Krause Publications.
cattaraugus57

Post by cattaraugus57 »

Interesting...makes sense.. :)
"whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these Ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government"
sextonknifeworks

Thanks for the pic. Very interesting how advanced these knife makers were back in the day.

Return to “Robeson Cutlery Company Collector's Forum”