Need help with dating this knife

The first Robeson knives were imported by Millard Robeson from England and Germany exclusively. This continued from 1979 until 1896 when Robeson began manufacturing knives in the United States. Since inception, the company has gone through several reorganizations & eventually ended up as a Queen Cutlery brand.
TwoFlowersLuggage
Location: Stuck in traffic on a highway in Southern California

Need help with dating this knife

Post by TwoFlowersLuggage »

I have a knife coming in the mail - and I took a chance on it without really knowing anything about it... ::facepalm:: Basically, I put in my bid because I thought the slanted bolster looked cool - I only bid $2 higher than the previous bid, and I'm shocked I actually won.

The picture of the pattern number isn't very clear, but it seems to start with "6234". The last two digits aren't clear enough to make out, so I will have to wait until I get it in hand.

I'm having a hard time believing that I'm reading Charlie's tang stamp notes correctly - is this knife really 1917-1939?
Robeson.jpg

This is the part where I just have to hope you guys don't laugh and say I bought a parts knife... :lol:
"The Luggage had a straightforward way of dealing with things between it and its intended destination: it ignored them." -Terry Pratchett
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Need help with dating this knife

Post by treefarmer »

Hang in there, TFL.
Mr. Noyes ought to be checkin' in sometime soon, he's the knowledgeable one on Robeson.
All I can say is great lookin' knife!
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

Hey TFL - Nice knife ::tu:: - I like it and I have the same one (and think FRJ has one as well) :lol: ... I posted the knife on this subforum awhile back so this should help - viewtopic.php?f=93&t=46456

Excellent! Thanks for the link to your thread - that helped tremendously. I can't wait for it to arrive!!
"The Luggage had a straightforward way of dealing with things between it and its intended destination: it ignored them." -Terry Pratchett
RobesonsRme.com

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

Interesting knife with a scarce master blade tang stamp. Tom Kalcevic in Knives Can Talk! dates that stamp on a master to 1917 to 1939. And I think the pressure molded black composition handles would push the date closer to 1939 or so.

There were multiple patterns in that shape and size.

Here are a few. I included some three bladed knives as well, as most pattern would have been available as two blade serpentine jacks or three blade junior stock knives.

I suspect an appropriate pattern number for the OP knife would be 622480. That first six would have stood for bone handles, but bone was not readily available during the time of WWII. Case, Robeson and I suspect others, used rough black composition instead. Cannot speak for Case, but Robeson did not change their pattern numbers to reflect that.

Charlie Noyes
Attachments
323480B.jpg
323480B.jpg (12.23 KiB) Viewed 2418 times
623480-RBB.jpg
623480-RBB.jpg (13.6 KiB) Viewed 2418 times
623480-SBB.jpg
623480-SBB.jpg (12.5 KiB) Viewed 2418 times
623480-TCB.jpg
623480-TCB.jpg (14.17 KiB) Viewed 2418 times
623657B.jpg
623657B.jpg (12.68 KiB) Viewed 2418 times
633278-SBB.jpg
633278-TCB.jpg
633728B.jpg
633728TC-DelrinB.jpg
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
TwoFlowersLuggage

Thanks Charlie - excellent info (as usual!) ::handshake::
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Nice snag TFL. ::tu::

Return to “Robeson Cutlery Company Collector's Forum”