Good Deal on Black Plain Edge Leek 1660

Kershaw began its foray into the knife business sometime during 1974. The company was originally based in Portland Oregon, but most early knives were manufactured in Japan. The first US manufacturing plant was opened in 1997 & the company currently offers knives made in the U.S., Japan, & China. Pete Kershaw (an ex Gerber salesman) started the business.
Stanwade

Re: Good Deal on Black Plain Edge Leek 1660

Post by Stanwade »

TwoFlowersLuggage wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:16 pm The Kershaw Leek is a great knife. The Ken Onion/Kershaw assisted opening system is the next best thing to an automatic. A couple of bits of info that might be useful:

Kershaw factory blems are marked with 4 "X" on the blade, like this: https://kershawguy.com/wp-content/uploa ... scaled.jpg

Several years ago, Ken Onion, the designer of the Kershaw Leek, Shallot & Chive left Kershaw and went to CRKT. Since then, Kershaw has continued to sell the Ken Onion knives. The Leek, in particular, has been released in a wild array of different colors, steels and handles.

Someone mentioned clones - Well, you can find the "Kershaw Leek" on aliexpress, DHgate and the other Chinese sites. Are these clones? I don't know.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3305368 ... hweb201603_

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000917 ... hweb201603_

Good info Twoflowers.. thank you!🤝
Ryan

“That’ll be the day”—-John Wayne
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

I should have known the price was too good. I sincerely apologize to anyone that I may have led astray.

Here's the box it came in.
Attachments
image000000.jpg
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

TwoFlowersLuggage wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 5:00 pm My suggestion is to look carefully at the box
Excellent suggestion, TFL...that never even occurred to me.
(jerryd beat me to the punch while I was typing)
Here's the box mine came in...
P9220001.JPG

Well, well, well...what a surprise. There it is right on the box...not a knock-off clone but a genuine Chinese made Leek! ::uc::
Wow, what a disappointment...I thought the Leek was still made in USA and the American flag on the blade was meant to indicate that. Apparently not. ::td::
P9220002.JPG

Looks like I've just bought my last Leek, and probably my last (new) Kershaw. :(
We are all just prisoners here of our own device.
In the master's chamber they gather for the feast.
They stab it with their steely knives but they just can't kill the beast.
(Eagles: Hotel California)

~Q~
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Shucks! I looked over everything but the box.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
samb1955

Post by samb1955 »

I'm thinking about the only thing made in the USA anymore is baby's.
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

samb1955 wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:08 pm I'm thinking about the only thing made in the USA anymore is baby's.
A lot of those are made else where and they come here to have them. ::facepalm::
TwoFlowersLuggage
Location: Stuck in traffic on a highway in Southern California

Post by TwoFlowersLuggage »

The Kershaw website still shows the Leek as made in the USA, and so does the lowest priced Leek at Knife Center.

https://kershaw.kaiusa.com/leek.html
https://www.knifecenter.com/item/KS1660 ... el-handles
"The Luggage had a straightforward way of dealing with things between it and its intended destination: it ignored them." -Terry Pratchett
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Mine came in today’s mail. I can say it certainly looks and feels a lot more like a $20 knife than a $85 knife (price on the Kershaw link in TFL’s post).

The mechanism is a little stiff out of the box. It had some oil on the blade. I wiped it off and put a couple drops of Quick Release oil in the joint. I’ve been fiddling with it for about an hour and it’s still hanging up a little on opening - once you force it past the initial catch/hang, it flips open nicely. The frame lock doesn’t catch on the blade tang (Doesn’t lock the blade open) about 5% of the time. The lock button is a little “gritty”, not smooth like I’d expect of a $85 knife, but not surprising on a $20 knife.

Wondering what Kershaw will say if I send it to them? I wouldn’t bet on it being an authentic Kershaw. ::shrug::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

It stinks about them being made in China. But fortunately, mine fires and locks like it should.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

And out of the box, mine acted just like Ken's. Took quite a bit of fiddling with it to get it to fire "almost" like I'm accustomed to.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

I'm half-tempted to return it for a refund since the seller did misrepresent it as being made in USA in the "Item specifics" area of the listing (of course, he also stated the color as "silver" as well as four different blade types!)

Item specifics
Condition:
New: A brand-new, unused, unopened, undamaged item (including handmade items). See the seller's ... Read more
Brand:
Kershaw
Original/Reproduction: Original Type: Pocketknife
Lock Type: Frame Color:
Silver
Dexterity: Ambidextrous Opening Mechanism: Assisted
Number of Blades: 1 Model:
Leek
Product Line: Military Handle Material: Stainless Steel
Blade Material: Carbon Steel Blade Type: Clip Point, Drop Point, Hawkbill, Wharncliffe
Blade Edge: Plain Country/Region of Manufacture: United States
Blade Range: 2.76 - 4in.

I guess this just goes to prove (once again) the old adage that if it looks too good to be true, it probably is. ::dang::
We are all just prisoners here of our own device.
In the master's chamber they gather for the feast.
They stab it with their steely knives but they just can't kill the beast.
(Eagles: Hotel California)

~Q~

Return to “Kershaw Knife Forum”