First USA Kershaws

Kershaw began its foray into the knife business sometime during 1974. The company was originally based in Portland Oregon, but most early knives were manufactured in Japan. The first US manufacturing plant was opened in 1997 & the company currently offers knives made in the U.S., Japan, & China. Pete Kershaw (an ex Gerber salesman) started the business.
cody6268

First USA Kershaws

Post by cody6268 »

While getting ready for Christmas dinner at my great-aunt's, I just bought my first USA Kershaws, a Scallion, Leek, and Chive. I have had two Kershaws, a Japanese Snap-On Chubby and a Chinese "Own It" series Filter. Neither really impressed me. The Filter had soft steel and the assisted open required too much force compared to just about any bearing folder I had, and the Chubby had a liner lock that was hard to release due to its being flush with the handle, and while AUS-6 is a passable steel, I feel the edge retention was hindered by the "professional resharpening" by the seller using an edge that was a little too thin (I'm thinking 15" compared to the 25" I like, which is sharp enough to get the job done, while holding it for a good amount of time) for my uses. But I do like that little knife--very robust for something quite small. The linerlock was hard to release because it was pretty much flush with the scale. While mostly a traditional guy, I've really taken an interest in American made, one-hand opening knives.

These are all used. A seller I typically do buisness with on eBay started his own site specializing in used pocketknives, and he was having a 50% off sale at the end of the year. I paid just over $40 total for the three.

And a question. Some of these, I think are old enough to use 420HC, a steel that performs decently if hardened well. I think the black Leek is Sandvik 14C28N. How is this steel?

The Chive should clip to my watch pocket. I like smaller knives, and at 2.9" it definitely fits the bill. I like a 3" or so for lounging around the house--it's typically a knife that opens the mail, snack packaging, cutting tape, other small light-duty tasks.
57_a18c462c-6bce-48ab-b70e-eb3625490505_1024x1024.jpg
Black Leek. At 4", a decent EDC and work size. I decided to choose different colors, if there wasn't much of a premium, so I chose what is either a worn black oxide, or a "Black Wash" as Kershaw calls their tumbled BO finish.
57_08f7e814-bd9b-40ba-a40b-a1a5ec9d3b2e_1024x1024.jpg
I paid a couple bucks extra to get a blue Scallion. I like colors other than black and silver. At 3.5" closed, it will alternate with my Benchmade Mini Grip as an EDC.
57_37e343a2-1ebc-43b0-8f77-cf65b19f589a_1024x1024.jpg
jmh58

Re: First USA Kershaws

Post by jmh58 »

Did ya get them yet??? I got them same LEEK.. 8)
John :D
Not all who wander are lost!!

Of all the paths you take in life,
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!!
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

jmh58 wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 3:25 pm Did ya get them yet??? I got them same LEEK.. 8)

Probably will Thursday. But unsure what will show up. The black Leek was supposedly out of stock, and when I got that email, I specified that in the Leek's place (since the silver were more expensive than black anyway) I would like a Copenhagen version of the Schrade USA 33OT the guy had listed (sheepsfoot serrated blade replacing the pen blade), but I got a second email with the same message saying the Leek was out of stock, I repeated what I said before, to which the reply was given "I think it already shipped". It did, Monday, and I'm not seeing any refunds for the $12 the Leek cost on my PayPal account, so either A: the Leek got backordered B: they substituted silver for black or C: I got the COPE33. As long as I didn't get charged for the black Leek without getting it, a silver Leek or the Schrade is perfectly fine.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Good choice on the Ken Onion series Kershaws. I am absolutely in love with the "Speedsafe" opening system. If they don't come to you "Kershaw sharp" (my terminology) get the form off the Kershaw web site and send them in for their free sharpening service. All you have to pay is the postage to them, they pick up the return postage and you get a knife that's scary sharp. I can't imagine you won't enjoy them.

This folder is now filled to overflowing. That's how much I like Kershaws.
Attachments
Kershaws_(2-24-15)_S.JPG
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

WOW jerry.. Real nice folder full of Kershaw!! ::tu:: I see a few I wouldn't mind owning!!! ::super_happy::
Not all who wander are lost!!

Of all the paths you take in life,
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!!
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Cool collection, Jerry! ::tu:: ::tu::
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Thank y'all for the compliments. Ya know how they say it's a "Murder of Crows" and a "Pride of Lions" and a "Gaggle of Geese"? Well that's an "Accumulation of Kershaws".

I have all four colors of the 1001 Two-Can. Surprisingly black was the most difficult to find.
Kershaw Two-Can 1001 Japan - All.JPG
I managed to corral all eight colors of the DWO 3000 in USA and Japan - No Chinese. Red was the elusive one in that group.
Kershaw_DWO_3000_All_Framed_Labeled-O.JPG
The rest are helter skelter, this one and that one and the folder overflows. Of the modern knives I have, I love my Kershaws the mostess.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

Good to hear on the sharpening. I'll probably pack up the Chubby with those knives I'm getting (should they be dull) and send them off to Kershaw. Given $8 is what it costs me to send a knife via USPS, it's very reasonable. Very nice collection, and in lots of colors! I wasn't aware of there being a blue or red Needs Work--just the black. Were they a Snap-On thing or something? The DWO is something that's been on my list--except Japan ones can get expensive for a small lockback. I just picked up my first, a blue one, on eBay for $15 shipped. Seems to have seen moderate use.

What is the metal-handled one with a camouflage paracord lanyard?

You know, I'm surprised at how small the Two-Can is. It seems to be a keychain knife. I've long been curious about one thing--G. Sakai makes a knife that is near identical, but uses 440C steel instead of 420J2. So is the Two Can a cheapened Sakai? I've found a place with red and blue for $20--thinking about getting both for this month's main purchase. I would rather have the Sakai for a user (due to 440C's enhanced edge retention), but it costs as much as both Two Cans.
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

Arrived today, with surprises both good, and bad. Two are going to have to be shipped to Oregon.

A horrid Leek. What the heck happened here? Damaged and loose blade (busted, ground, and scratched), and the assist, I think, is bad. Rust everywhere too. Should have been sent to Kershaw BEFORE it was sold. Now, I have to. Since what I selected was a "Very Good" knife, and this one is "POS For Sure", should I ask that the seller reimburse me for the $10 fee (close to a refund, actually, since the knife was $12 after the 50% discount) that Kershaw charges to put a new blade in?

IMG_2020-01-02_18-53-55.jpeg

Chive. I cleaned and oiled it, and it would still only open about 2/3 of the way. Had to take it apart to get close to a teaspoon of gunk out, something I had done before, but usually without success (which is why I have a drawer full of mistakes!). I was quite surprised at how easy it was to take apart, with only three T6 Torx screws (five counting those that hold the pocket clip. Had a little trouble putting it back together due to the torsion spring, but with the help of two pieces of wire as assembly jigs holding the spacer in until the torsion spring, brass washer, and the plate that covered the torsion spring and held it into the handle were installed. After adjusting the screw to just the right torque, it fired great consistently, and all the time. All it needed was a couple swipes on my ceramic rod to bring the edge back. And I admit, it was fun! Kershaw is one of the few makers who seem to have no problem with end users doing their own repairs. I will need to Loctite it back together, but am out of blue Loctite. Kershaw appears to have used Teflon tape or a white sort of Loctite. I am toting the Chive right now.
IMG_2020-01-02_18-54-16.jpeg

Scallion. Instead of the "Wireline" advertising knife, I got an older Snap-On issue, dated January 2003. Seller had it listed seperately, at $40. To get it for $12, in my mind, was a steal, given that Snap-On Kershaws tend to sell for a premium. There are a few minor problems, edge is blunt (I suspect an Accu-Sharp or similar was used at one point), and there's some rust spots. Tommorrow, I'll break out the 00 steel wool, get rid of the rust spots, then Monday, mail it off to Kershaw for sharpening. Because the Snap-On issues often command a premium, I won't take it apart for a deep clean.
IMG_2020-01-02_18-55-06.jpeg
IMG_2020-01-02_18-55-13.jpeg
IMG_2020-01-02_18-55-23.jpeg
I really like the design of the knives. Very easy to strip for cleaning and repair, they fire hard, and the tip lock safety prevents accidents. I have not bought an assisted opening knife ever since an accident with a Colonial Quick-Flick, which opened while in my pants (guess the oversized flipper bumped something) and tore through the front right pocket and pants fabric. Thankfully, no flesh wounds!
Attachments
IMG_2020-01-02_18-54-22.jpeg
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

cody6268 wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 3:55 pm Good to hear on the sharpening. I'll probably pack up the Chubby with those knives I'm getting (should they be dull) and send them off to Kershaw. Given $8 is what it costs me to send a knife via USPS, it's very reasonable. Very nice collection, and in lots of colors! I wasn't aware of there being a blue or red Needs Work--just the black. Were they a Snap-On thing or something? The DWO is something that's been on my list--except Japan ones can get expensive for a small lockback. I just picked up my first, a blue one, on eBay for $15 shipped. Seems to have seen moderate use.

What is the metal-handled one with a camouflage paracord lanyard?

You know, I'm surprised at how small the Two-Can is. It seems to be a keychain knife. I've long been curious about one thing--G. Sakai makes a knife that is near identical, but uses 440C steel instead of 420J2. So is the Two Can a cheapened Sakai? I've found a place with red and blue for $20--thinking about getting both for this month's main purchase. I would rather have the Sakai for a user (due to 440C's enhanced edge retention), but it costs as much as both Two Cans.
Sorry it took so long to see this. The only two Needs Work that I have are the red and the blue and they are not Snap-On. Both are made in USA. I'll have to run down a black one.
Kershaw 1820RD Needs Work - Open Mark 2-20-14.jpg
Kershaw_1820BL_Needs_Work.jpg
The silver one with the para-cord is a Japanese Silver Spur II.
Re: the Two-Can's. I've never heard of a Sakai so I don't have an answer for that.
Kershaw Silver Spur II - Open - Labeled.JPG
Kershaw Silver Spur II - Model Stamp.JPG
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012

Return to “Kershaw Knife Forum”