Neat Kershaw liner lock

Kershaw began its foray into the knife business sometime during 1974. The company was originally based in Portland Oregon, but most early knives were manufactured in Japan. The first US manufacturing plant was opened in 1997 & the company currently offers knives made in the U.S., Japan, & China. Pete Kershaw (an ex Gerber salesman) started the business.
tallguy606

Neat Kershaw liner lock

Post by tallguy606 »

Looking into the knife case at the pawnshop, saw a knife I couldn't identify. Turned out to be a Kershaw 4380 2-blade linerlock marked KAI Japan. Guess this model is discontinued but I had never seen one. Very well made, everything fits with precision, blade lockup rock solid. Uses one liner lock spring between the two blades - a clip and a wharncliffe - where each end of the liner bar locks a different blade. Visible steel pivot pins like a Camillus or German Eye. About the size and weight of a Case medium stockman. Best part - I got it for $15, tax and all, in almost (thumb studs on blades missing) new condition. Looks like the original price on these was considerably higher. A new EDC for sure.
Doc B

Re: Neat Kershaw liner lock

Post by Doc B »

Got any pictures?
Heretical Refurb / Mods of cheap old folders, since late 2018
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

That's a Double Cross; I don't think they made that model too long. It's pretty rare, and at $15 I think you stole it! I've been looking for one for quite some time; as it's a great mix of traditional and modern. Especially with the OHO.
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

I'm traveling for the holiday so I don't have all of my resources available to me on my phone, but I believe the Double Cross and the Double Duty were only made for about 3-4 years. I really I like both of them. The blade selection was different and the size was different in the two patterns but they were similar design and outstanding knives.
You got an incredible deal on that for $15. In new condition they typically sell for $75+.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
tallguy606

Post by tallguy606 »

Here's a picture. Blades are perfect, I had just sliced a lemon when I took this picture.
Attachments
DSCF1801.JPG
Doc B

Post by Doc B »

::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
Heretical Refurb / Mods of cheap old folders, since late 2018
Mr. Chips

Post by Mr. Chips »

I sold quite a few of these and the Double Duty. I used to modify the larger one so that it had a Wharncliffe secondary blade too, and I shortened the thumb studs too.
They made great whittlin' knives!
I still have both of mine and use them from time to time.
I guess I just don't think like knife manufacturers, because I cannot imagine why Kershaw didn't keep making these knives.

Buck had a couple of knives that were similar in concept though not in appearance. Also great knives for whittlin'.

Return to “Kershaw Knife Forum”