What’s so special?

Kershaw began its foray into the knife business sometime during 1974. The company was originally based in Portland Oregon, but most early knives were manufactured in Japan. The first US manufacturing plant was opened in 1997 & the company currently offers knives made in the U.S., Japan, & China. Pete Kershaw (an ex Gerber salesman) started the business.
Gobbleandgrunt

What’s so special?

Post by Gobbleandgrunt »

I see these leeks with g-10 scales going for big money on eBay. Why is the g-10 so special? Thanks in advance!
kootenay joe

Re: What’s so special?

Post by kootenay joe »

Hi, welcome to AAPK.
I am not familiar with the Leek prices but i can say that G-10 is a material often used on production & custom knives. It is not particularly expensive, about the same cost as Micarta; i.e. i don't see cost of G-10 accounting for a large price increase.
kj
TwoFlowersLuggage
Location: Stuck in traffic on a highway in Southern California

Post by TwoFlowersLuggage »

Are you sure it's G10? Kershaw recently released a Carbon Fiber Leek with CPM-154 steel that seems to be selling for ~$90-100.
https://www.knifecenter.com/item/KS1660 ... er-handles
"The Luggage had a straightforward way of dealing with things between it and its intended destination: it ignored them." -Terry Pratchett
Gobbleandgrunt

Post by Gobbleandgrunt »

Yeah, I’m sure it’s not the carbon fiber. I’ve seen two in a week in a edc condition go for more than the carbon fiber prices. It is just odd. I just wondered if the g10 wasn’t made anymore and that caused the prices so high
Gobbleandgrunt

Post by Gobbleandgrunt »

B01130B4-C228-4471-80A6-6B2FA2213960.jpeg
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Yeah, I don't get it either. G-10 is nothing more than a grade of composites of linen, canvas, paper, fiberglass, carbon fiber or other fabric in a thermosetting plastic. Commonly called Micarta (which is really just a brand name), like Coke and Kleenex Micarta has taken over as an umbrella name for the basic material no matter who makes it. G-10 has taken on this mystic like it's something special. In my opinion, it's not.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

Another phenomenon is related to the winter holiday season. Some folk just get a little wired up and crazy. I see this in bidding (not that most bidding is sane anyway); I just saw a plastic-handled Schrade hunting knife sell for $325 the other day. And frankly, most knife buyers are not educated in the genre.
TwoFlowersLuggage
Location: Stuck in traffic on a highway in Southern California

Post by TwoFlowersLuggage »

I've always thought the Ken Onion Kershaws were way overpriced. But, they were also among the best selling Kershaws for over 15 years, so I guess they know more about marketing than I do. Looking at the specs on the G10 Leek, it looks like it has a bit better steel (S30V) than the normal Leek (14C28N). Maybe now that the G10/S30V version is discontinued everyone wants a Leek with the better steel? But if that were the case, then I would just buy the Carbon Fiber version and get the CPM-154 blade. I really don't see the appeal of G10. I would rather have aluminum or CF.
"The Luggage had a straightforward way of dealing with things between it and its intended destination: it ignored them." -Terry Pratchett
Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

TwoFlowersLuggage wrote:I've always thought the Ken Onion Kershaws were way overpriced. But, they were also among the best selling Kershaws for over 15 years, so I guess they know more about marketing than I do. Looking at the specs on the G10 Leek, it looks like it has a bit better steel (S30V) than the normal Leek (14C28N). Maybe now that the G10/S30V version is discontinued everyone wants a Leek with the better steel? But if that were the case, then I would just buy the Carbon Fiber version and get the CPM-154 blade. I really don't see the appeal of G10. I would rather have aluminum or CF.
The CF version with CPM-154 is worth every penny. IMO (and having not handled one, for full disclosure) a G-10 Leek with CPM-S30V should probably not go for more than double a normal Leek (say ~$65-70ish?), although we may have to allow for a slight bump due to it being discontinued. Also, there is probably not a significant enough jump from the Sandvik to S30V to justify a huge price increase.

Ultimately the price of any knife is whatever another person is willing to pay! ::shrug::
Tony
ImageImageImageImage
Everything's better with a Barlow
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

My understanding is that G10 uses epoxy resin and fiberglass cloth, Micarta used epoxy resin with paper, canvas, or linen cloth, and carbon fiber uses epoxy resin with carbon fiber cloth. Any of them can have different pigmenting colors added. Probably not much difference as far as strength as used in a knife handle, each has a slightly different look. I am working now on my first rehandle with black G10, I have done one with white paper Micarta which turned out good, and I have some black linen Micarta, but have not used any of it yet. I really don't see how there could be so much difference in price as they all so similar in composition and probably vary from one manufacturer to another.
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

http://www.plasticsintl.com/epoxy.htm

"NEMA grades G10 and FR4 Glass-Cloth Reinforced Epoxy - natural color is typically a yellowish to light green. The most versatile all-around laminate grades are continuous glass woven fabric impregnated with an epoxy resin binder. Epoxy resins are among the most versatile and widely used plastics in the electronics field, primarily because water absorption is virtually nil, rendering it an outstanding insulator. Beyond its electrical insulating properties, epoxy resins exhibit great dimensional stability (shrinkage is usually less than 1 percent) and superior adhesive properties. G10/FR4 has extremely high mechanical strength, good dielectric loss properties, and good electric strength properties, both wet and dry. The main difference between NEMA Grades G10 and FR4 is that FR4 is a fire retardant grade of G10. Therefore, FR4 can be safely substituted where G10 is called out, while G10 can never be substituted where FR4 is called for.

NEMA grades G11 and FR5 Glass-Cloth Reinforced Epoxy - natural color is typically yellow green to amber. This grade is similar to G10/FR4 with the addition of a higher operating temperature and some improved mechanical strength at elevated temperatures. The main difference between NEMA Grades G11 and FR5 is that FR5 is a fire retardant grade of G11. Therefore, FR5 can be safely substituted when G11 is called for while G11 can never be substituted where FR5 is called for."
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012

Return to “Kershaw Knife Forum”