Boy Scout knife

Kershaw began its foray into the knife business sometime during 1974. The company was originally based in Portland Oregon, but most early knives were manufactured in Japan. The first US manufacturing plant was opened in 1997 & the company currently offers knives made in the U.S., Japan, & China. Pete Kershaw (an ex Gerber salesman) started the business.
MUD

Boy Scout knife

Post by MUD »

Years ago, I worked at a Goodyear company store. I bought a few Kershaws off the Snap-On truck while I was there.
An Amphibian boot/dive knife, a few others that I can't really remember. And one that I can't find much of anything about ( of course, I lost it. Young and dumb).

I don't remember the name, it was a medium size lockback with silver bolsters and green scales. In the middle of one was the Boy Scouts fleur-de-lis.

I have searched the interweb, asked a couple of fellers that deal with Kershaws, nothing much. I found a description on a Boy Scouts site (no pictures), and a few for sale with green scales ( black bolsters). That's about it.

Does anyone know what I'm talking about or did I dream a dream? I figure there should be more info, at least an out of focus picture of half a knife that's similar. Makes me wonder if some of the things I did when I was a young man didn't affect me in a not so good way ::dang::

If any of y'all know about it, have one that you could send a picture of, anything to ease my mind... I would definitely be indebted to you.

Wish I still had the Amphibian too. One of the originals with no Kai to be seen. I've seen a few on the bay, but not one without Kai.
Young and stupid is no way to go through life. ::sotb::
So I got old, not a problem.

Thanks for any and all information. I reckon I'll have to dig up my Kershaws one day, I just gotta remember where. Thank you younger me! ::dang::
My name is Mud,
But call me Alowishus Devadander Abercrombie
That's long for Mud, so I've been told
bestgear
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Re: Boy Scout knife

Post by bestgear »

From 1987-1988 Kershaw made a 4" single-blade lockback with green textured handles and pewter colored bolsters that had a 3" stainless steel clip blade, a lanyard hole in the handle and was known as BSA #1372 or commonly The Green Gulch. Hope that helps ::handshake::
Tom
AAPK Administrator

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.
MUD

Post by MUD »

Thank you sir, at least now I know I'm not 100% crazy.
Only 99.8%.

I appreciate your quick response and help in this. I've been trying, off and on for a year or so. Now the question for the Grail begins. If you happen to know where one might be, please let me know.

Ya know, if I had the knives back I've either lost, traded or swapped, got stolen or otherwise, I probably wouldn't keep buying, trading or swapping for any now.

Who am I kidding, I'd just have to build a bigger shop.

Have a great weekend and I owe you.
Thanks again
My name is Mud,
bestgear
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by bestgear »

No worries my knife brother. These pop-up on eBay every now and then for not big money - I'll keep an eye out for you Mud!
Tom
AAPK Administrator

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.
MUD

Post by MUD »

I had to take a look didn't I.
Just had to. :D

Glad I did. You've got quite a few cutting utensils on your site, a few that would look even better from over here ::groove:: !!!! Well a few more than a few.

I appreciate your help! It's a knife thing for sure.
My wife asked me once, 'How many do you need?'.
I told her 'Just the ones I ain't got, and a few more.'
She found no humor in it. None.

A man comes in this world with two things: His name and his word.
A man can only leave this world with the same two things.

If ever I can be of assistance to you, for anything, holler.
I owe you big. I always pay my bills.
Thanks again knife brother
My name is Mud,
MUD

Post by MUD »

Finally found a picture.
boy-scout-knife-kershaw-1987_1_9d2368bf3cbd5f82a9caf9a065f01234.jpg
boy-scout-knife-kershaw-1987_1_9d2368bf3cbd5f82a9caf9a065f01234.jpg (11.74 KiB) Viewed 5400 times
My name is Mud,

Return to “Kershaw Knife Forum”