Kershaw USA vs Kershaw China

Kershaw began its foray into the knife business sometime during 1974. The company was originally based in Portland Oregon, but most early knives were manufactured in Japan. The first US manufacturing plant was opened in 1997 & the company currently offers knives made in the U.S., Japan, & China. Pete Kershaw (an ex Gerber salesman) started the business.
Toejammer

Kershaw USA vs Kershaw China

Post by Toejammer »

Kershaw USA wins.

Ok, I'll elaborate, was breaking down boxes today for recycling (cause I'm a tree huggin kinda guy) and went through the edge on my Cryo II pretty quick. Started out just slicing like butter, but soon I was hacking and cussing.....

So I figured good a time as any for a -vs- test, and so I grabbed my new Link. Suffice to say, was slicing like butter through twice as many boxes as the Cryo did,.....and still shaved arm hair afterward.

Both were brand new factory edges, similar blade dimensions. For what its worth, the USA Kershaw kicked the China Kershaw's arse. Your mileage may very. Feel free to discuss .... :mrgreen:
A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer.
Bruce Lee
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Kershaw USA vs Kershaw China

Post by treefarmer »

Toejammer,
Seems like a great comparisson. That's as fair as you can make it without doin' a test in a lab! That supports the old saying, "The proof is in the pudding".
Toejammer, by the way, y'all ought to let a few of them boxes go on to the land fill, 'cause somebody needs to keep buyin' these pine trees to make more cardboard. :) ::poke::
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by garddogg56 »

Toe -jam I didn't do a comparison but the first week at work I chipped the blade on my Cryo when I re shaped the blade I found the steel to be brittle ::shrug::
"On the Road Again"Willie Nelson
Stakeknife

Post by Stakeknife »

I think it's not so much where it's made but the steel.

The Cryo uses 8cr13moV which is a Chinese mystery steel with Titanium in it to make it hard

The Link uses good old 420 HC a higher carbon and chromium steel
NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

A man with a gun is a citizen, a man without a gun is a subject. Our forefathers knew this to be true..... Why do so many of us question their wisdom?
Toejammer

Post by Toejammer »

Stakeknife wrote:I think it's not so much where it's made but the steel.

The Cryo uses 8cr13moV which is a Chinese mystery steel with Titanium in it to make it hard

The Link uses good old 420 HC a higher carbon and chromium steel
True ::tu::
A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer.
Bruce Lee
Toejammer

Post by Toejammer »

Yet another china test subject today, the Kershaw 1306BW

Blade Steel: 3Cr13
Blade length: 3 1/4"

I went for the bigger blade today to slice up more boxes for recycling. (I swear these damn boxes breed and multiply on they're own) Went through about 15 or so big boxes ( flatscreen, guitar shipping boxes, etc...) And believe it or not, this blade slayed them all. Don't know if it was the size of the blade, or the type of steel that made a difference. It only needed a few swipes on the ceramic sticks, and a leather strop to get back in shaving form. ::shrug::

Bruce Lee

Return to “Kershaw Knife Forum”