Kershaw Service and dependability!

Kershaw began its foray into the knife business sometime during 1974. The company was originally based in Portland Oregon, but most early knives were manufactured in Japan. The first US manufacturing plant was opened in 1997 & the company currently offers knives made in the U.S., Japan, & China. Pete Kershaw (an ex Gerber salesman) started the business.
cordell

Kershaw Service and dependability!

Post by cordell »

Hello all, I have been carrying a Kershaw Ken Onion 1550 for many years and if I have casual or work clothes on it is in my pocket. A little history about my purchase...... We ran a cattle farm for about 25 years and as some of you know, what can go wrong will go wrong on a farm. I carried an old Ulster redbone large congress in those days and loved it. One day I had caught up a cow in the head gate that had baling twine wrapped around her leg just above the hoof. I managed to get the leg out through the shute boards but realized that I couldn't open my knife with one hand!......

I immediately went in search for a switch blade of some sort and ended up with the Kershaw. I have used this knife for everything from a crow bar to a paint scraper and it has served me well. To give you an idea of how much I use this knife I have worn out 3 springs (2 Kershaw customer service sent me) and then for the 3rd had to send it to Kershaw because of another issue. To give you an idea of how much I trust in the Kershaw I went out and bought another just to tide me over until mine returned. I think the web site said 1000 days (more or less :wink: ) on turn around time but I had it back in 3 weeks. They had replaced everything except the handle and the pocket clip...............including the blade! Now that's service!!!!!!

The funny thing about this is they are very adamant about the fact you can't ship it in a padded envelope???? Then they return it in "a padded envelope"..... :roll: ........ The bottom line is I am sold on Kershaw and the 1550 and have been responsible for several neighbors carrying them.

Another quick story, many years ago I picked up a 1550 at a yard sale with a broken tip. A young friend (early 30's) admired mine and I gave him the yard sale find with instructions to just round off the tip and he would be in business. To this day he carries that knife and will not repair or have the blade replaced (it's $10.00 from Kershaw!!!). I even offered to pay for it but he says he loves it like it is and until something bad happens it's staying like it is.

My dress knife is a Case XX that might cut a string here and there and one of my favorites is in my avatar. Try a Kershaw 1550 and you will never regret it. Take care, Semper Fi, and God bless. cordell
garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Re: Kershaw Service and dependability!

Post by garddogg56 »

As I'm an electrician I love the one handed knives in the off-hand just for the same reason as you ::tu:: I find Kershaws service second to none ::super_happy::
"On the Road Again"Willie Nelson
cordell

Post by cordell »

GD56,
It is a working mans knife for sure, nobody is going to come up to you and ooh and ahh about it! That is unless they are around you daily and can see what these workhorses can and will do. I mentioned above that I have used it for everything from a crowbar to scraping paint, what I failed to mention was when my knife is used it is sharpened that day. It does not go back in my pants unless it will shave my arm. That is the least I can do to return the service it gives me. Take care and God bless. cordell
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

I took two old broken discontinued knives from the 1980s to Kershaw about 3 weeks ago.
Kershaw gave me a credit for the last retail price for those knives.
I thought that was pretty amazing!

I have been dealing with Kershaw since the 1980s when I managed a cutlery store.
I cannot ever remember having a problem with Kershaw on a warranty of a Kershaw product!
As a company they get top marks for customer service in my book! ::nod::
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
deltaboy

Post by deltaboy »

Thanks I have 2 and it good to know they stand behind their product.
Keep Near the Cross.

Return to “Kershaw Knife Forum”