pull through knife sharpeners

Kershaw began its foray into the knife business sometime during 1974. The company was originally based in Portland Oregon, but most early knives were manufactured in Japan. The first US manufacturing plant was opened in 1997 & the company currently offers knives made in the U.S., Japan, & China. Pete Kershaw (an ex Gerber salesman) started the business.
smoky97

pull through knife sharpeners

Post by smoky97 »

I see these all the time on tv. It will give you the same angle on both sides of the blade . Are these good or will they ruin the knife ? Thanks for your input .
Shearer
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Re: pull through knife sharpeners

Post by Shearer »

Only one I have used removes a lot of steel from the blade .I think it's somewhere in the house at the back of a draw.Looks good on TV when they run a already sharpen knife through the sharpener.

Grant
Politicians should be like a good pocket knife ." Sharp and useful "
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Grinders are bad enough in unskilled hands but these things, in my opinion, are worse than grinders.
They are very hard on blade edges.
If you get confident with stones you will always have a sharp knife.
Joe
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

NO!! NO!!! NO!!! Garbage!!! John :D
Not all who wander are lost!!

Of all the paths you take in life,
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!!
smoky97

Post by smoky97 »

Thanks for all the info I appreciate it .
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

I'm not exactly sure what type of sharpener you're asking about. If it's one of the electric knife sharpeners, never, never, ever use one on a good knife. I've seen countless knife blades that have been ruined by them.

If, on the other hand you're talking about one of these sharpeners shown below, they're pretty harmless and actually do a pretty fair job of touching up a blade if it's not too dull.
Attachments
Ceramic Sharpener.jpg
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
wazu013

Post by wazu013 »

philco wrote:I'm not exactly sure what type of sharpener you're asking about. If it's one of the electric knife sharpeners, never, never, ever use one on a good knife. I've seen countless knife blades that have been ruined by them.

If, on the other hand you're talking about one of these sharpeners shown below, they're pretty harmless and actually do a pretty fair job of touching up a blade if it's not too dull.
::tu::
Laissez Les Bon Temps Roulez
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

I have used both the carbide V sharpeners and the ceramic.
The ceramic Vs are OK for a flexible blade like a fish fillet knife but I avoid the carbide V sharpeners if I care at all about the knife! I might use it in an old machete that I really didn't care about but NOT on a good knife.

The reason I say this is because I have seen knives where people use those carbide V sharpeners exclusively.
They do make the blade sharper, but they have a tendency to chatter when they are drawn down the length of the blade.
I sharpened a knife at the cutlery store one time that looked like it was a serrated blade, however it was a fine edge blade but the person had used a carbide V sharpener on it for several times. The carbide V had dug into the blade, then released, then dug in again, etc. down the length of the blade. The result was a very uneven series of serrations down the length of the blade. The more the person used that carbide sharpener the worse the blade got until they brought me the knife to remove the all the serrations created by the carbide sharpener. I had to remove about 1/8" of the width of the blade to get rid of the gouges in the blade.

That is why I avoid the carbide V sharpeners.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
Cutty

Post by Cutty »

I use a Smith's like Phil posted the picture of, sometimes on an already fairly sharp knife. I ONLY USE the Ceramic side.

I only use it on kitchen knives etc. I would never drag a good folder or fixed blade through the thing :wink:
I dig half stops!!

"GOTTA DO WHATCHA GOTTA DO, SO THAT YOU GET TO DO, WHATCHA WANNA DO"
My Grandad.
God rest his soul.

Brian
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Cutty wrote:I only use it on kitchen knives etc. I would never drag a good folder or fixed blade through the thing :wink:
BINGO! Let's be open about this. Most households in this country (using my own small circle of friends, relatives and acquaintances as a yardstick) have crappy and usually cheap kitchen knives. My own kitchen knives run the gamut from cheap to mediocre (Chicago Cutlery) to pretty nice though not the best of the best (Wusthof and Shun). It's my opinion that it doesn't matter what you use on kitchen knives you bought in a set on sale at Walmart for $39.98 as long as they're sharper than when you began. OKAY. NOT THE GRINDER.

I have several knife sharpening systems all the way from a Bear two sided stone I bought at the local hardware store in about 1968 for $2.95, through a carbide ring sharpener I bought at a yard sale for a quarter up through three power sharpeners (the latest is a Work Sharp) and a Lansky system.

The Lansky is for my pocket knives. End of story.

The Shun kitchen knives go back to KAI Kershaw for sharpening. Period.

The Wusthofs and my Mundial slicer, I sent off some years ago and paid through the nose but they came back as sharp as the Shun knives.

The rest of my kitchen knives and those of my friends and relatives get sharpened with the Work Sharp (I don't know a single solitary soul, other than myself, who has any "good" kitchen knives). If I need a quick touchup on my cheap/average kitchen knives I use the Smiths you see below.
Attachments
Smiths side by side.JPG
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Cutty

Post by Cutty »

Yep.....
Lansky for folders.
Work Sharp Ken Onion for good kitchen and fixed blades.
Smiths, ceramic side only, for a quick touch up on cheaper kitchen knives.( after putting a good edge on with the work sharp, usually).
I dig half stops!!

"GOTTA DO WHATCHA GOTTA DO, SO THAT YOU GET TO DO, WHATCHA WANNA DO"
My Grandad.
God rest his soul.

Brian
royal0014
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by royal0014 »

Hey Mr Marine, have you tried the strop I sent you for your folders? Just curious ....

Lansky diamond for my folders. If a blade is too small for the Lansky clamp,
then I use a Lansky 8" Sharp Stick (medium ceramic).

For quick touch-ups, a heavy canvas/leather strop I made, hangin' by the door ::tu::

I don't touch the Boss' kitchen knives. She has Rada almost exclusively, and uses their
two-disc pull through sharpener .. .. .
:)
Chris
i woke last night to the sound of thunder
how far off i sat and wondered
started humming a song from nineteen sixty two
aint it funny how the night moves
aux80

Post by aux80 »

I have a couple of the Lansky pull-throughs. I bought the blade medic because of the diamond tapered rod for serrated blades.

You'll be glad to hear that I don't use the pull-throughs to sharpen good knives. I basically only use them for knives with a bad edge, kind of for reprofiling the edge. Once I get a good working edge on the blade, I switch to ceramic rods. So I do think the pull-throughs can serve a purpose in rare cases. I definitely wouldn't recommend using them for regular sharpening purposes.

But if it's a cheap knife that you bought at Walmart, go nuts! You can always buy another one.
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

I used pull-throughs as a kid. Haven't since.

Now I have a large smooth black stone (inherited it, don't know what it's made out of) for large knives, an orange small Norton for chip fixing and for tough jobs like chips and knives that won't get a good edge, a Smith's Arkansas stone for regular sharpening, and a large coarse Lansky stone I use for sharpening axes. I have inherited a few knives, and a Buck 110 was trashed from using some kind of powered sharpening rig or a grinder, still useable, but the edge is a misshapen wreck!
aux80

Post by aux80 »

You know what, I think I'd like to change my opinion. My buddy brought me a cheap knife from his tackle box. It was in pretty good shape, except for the nicks in the blade's edge. I have an India stone that I've been meaning to start using. So I put the stone to work. I'm not an expert by any means. I have very little experience sharpening "freehand." But the stone did such a good job on this knife! I'm really impressed. Now I'm thinking pull-through sharpeners are completely useless.
aux80

Post by aux80 »

aux80 wrote:You know what, I think I'd like to change my opinion. My buddy brought me a cheap knife from his tackle box. It was in pretty good shape, except for the nicks in the blade's edge. I have an India stone that I've been meaning to start using. So I put the stone to work. I'm not an expert by any means. I have very little experience sharpening "freehand." But the stone did such a good job on this knife! I'm really impressed. Now I'm thinking pull-through sharpeners are completely useless.
Attachments
image.jpeg
deltaboy

Post by deltaboy »

I use the Smith one's like Phil showed for some touch up.
Keep Near the Cross.

Return to “Kershaw Knife Forum”