Any Kershaw fans out there?

Kershaw began its foray into the knife business sometime during 1974. The company was originally based in Portland Oregon, but most early knives were manufactured in Japan. The first US manufacturing plant was opened in 1997 & the company currently offers knives made in the U.S., Japan, & China. Pete Kershaw (an ex Gerber salesman) started the business.
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Any Kershaw fans out there?

Post by orvet »

garddogg56 wrote:I had a Black Gulch ll past on to me today she's a solid Kershaw.Anyone know the type of steel in these??

The original Officer Ranch Series, including the Black Gulch were made with AUS 8-A.
To the best of my knowledge all the Japanese Kershaws of the 1980s were made from AUS 8-A.

The Black Horse II came out in the late 1980s or early 1990s if I remember correctly.
I believe it and the other IIs (like the Black Gulch II) were still AUS 8-A when they were first introduced.
I am not sure when they downgraded the whole series to AUS-6, but they are still serviceable. ::undecided::
One website compared AUS-6 to 420 which is what Buck uses in the Buck 110; with good heat treating it is quite serviceable. http://www.bladehq.com/cat--Steel-Types--332

I found the AUS 8-A in the Kershaws of the 1980s to some of my favorite user knives!

From Wikipedia:
AUS series

The AUS stainless steel series is produced by Aichi Steel Corporation, Japan. They differ from the AISI 4xx series because they have vanadium added to them. Vanadium improves the wear resistance, toughness, and ease of sharpening.[8] In the alloy name the appended 'A' indicates the alloy has been annealed.
AUS-6 (6A) is comparable to 440A with a carbon content close to 0.65%.[8] It is a low cost steel, slightly higher wear resistance compared to 420J.
AUS-8 (8A) is comparable to 440B with a carbon content close to 0.75%.[8] AUS-8 is often used instead of 440C.[8] SOG knives uses AUS-8 extensively.
AUS-10 (10A) is comparable to 440C with a carbon content close to 1.10%.[8] It is slightly tougher than 440C
Attachments
Kershaw 1987 Officer Ranch Series.jpg
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by garddogg56 »

Thanx Dale ::handshake::
"On the Road Again"Willie Nelson
garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by garddogg56 »

Big fan of Ken Onion
Attachments
image.jpeg
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

dogg -- What is the second one down?
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
royal0014
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by royal0014 »

jerryd6818 wrote:dogg -- What is the second one down?
Do believe that is a Cyro ....

Guess I have enough Kershaws now I should take a group photo. Have a Leek, Cyro, Chive,
and last night had a hair and picked up a Shuffle ....

....and just bid on a diminutive Juniper Canyon . . ::paranoid::
Attachments
3110 juniper canyon.jpg
3110 juniper canyon.jpg (3.03 KiB) Viewed 7962 times
Chris
i woke last night to the sound of thunder
how far off i sat and wondered
started humming a song from nineteen sixty two
aint it funny how the night moves
garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by garddogg56 »

Jerry,Royal is right ::tu:: that's the one I Had problems at work with the blade kept chipping,I decressed the angle then no problems ::smirk::
garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by garddogg56 »

Is that similar to the Black Gultch Royal?
royal0014
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by royal0014 »

garddogg56 wrote:Is that similar to the Black Gultch Royal?
Yes, it is. It is also in orvet's Officer Ranch attachment at the top of this page ^^^^^^

Unfortunately I lost the bid by .50¢ ::doh:: Only one on the 'bay, too . . . . .
Chris
i woke last night to the sound of thunder
how far off i sat and wondered
started humming a song from nineteen sixty two
aint it funny how the night moves
garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by garddogg56 »

Too bad good knives ::nod::
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Well duh on me. Thanks Royal and dogg. I guess I could have figured that out myself if I had just got off my dead rear-end and went and got mine to compare. Believe it or don't, I had Cryo nigglin' around the back of my mind.

This is the G-10 handled Black Wash variation.
Attachments
Kershaw Cryo 1555G10BW Hinderer - Closed Pile (2).JPG
Kershaw Cryo 1555G10BW Hinderer - Open Mark Halfmast.JPG
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by garddogg56 »

I like that in the G-10 handle mine says it's TI ::shrug:: whatever that is,Cryo is an inexpencive knife :wink: good quality though.
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

I forgot to post the Kershaw Maniago set.

This is the box and case for the knives.
Kershaw Manlago set a.jpg
These are the three knives in the set:

Mark side:
Kershaw Manlago set e.jpg
Pile side:
Kershaw Manlago set d.jpg
They came with unique, well made sheaths;
Kershaw Manlago set c.jpg
This picture is of the knives in the display case:
Kershaw Manlago set b.jpg

Hope you enjoy the pictures.

Here is some background information on the Maniago set written by Pete Kershaw.

"Maniago Folders from Italy"
A large part of the enjoyment I got out of being in the knife business for thirty years was meeting all sorts of interesting people from across the USA and other parts of the world in our industry. The differences in the process of making a knife was strikingly different from one country to another.

For example…sharpening a knife in a factory. In France a worker would be stretched out face down on padded boards. A large stone wheel driven by overhead cam shaft connected to a leather belt turned the wheel. The worker laid this way for hours sharpening one knife after another. This practice continued in small factories as late as the 1980’s. These shops had poor heating during the winter so it was common for the worker to have a dog stretch out on the guys back to keep him warm.

In Italy there is a centuries old cutlery town by the name of Maniago (pronounced Mon-e-ah-go). It is located in the foothills of the Alps very close to the Austrian boarder. Most of the factories are family owned and to this day it is not uncommon to see three generations of the family involved in the business.

The factories tend to specialize in a narrow segment of the cutlery industry. Perhaps making only cork screws. Another little factory makes just small pocket knives. Another hunting knives, and on it goes.

Manago is very near where the finest in Italian shotguns are made, (Beretta, Perazzi, Benelli). Many of the cutlery factories also supply parts to the gun companies.

In the mid 1980’s, Kershaw Knives needed lots of new products to fill the growing demand from some newly acquired large customers. Our small specialized factories in Japan were at capacity so we needed to seek out sources of high quality to bridge the gap.

The Maniago connection worked well for us. We introduced three beautifully made lock-back folders. (models 1305, 1310, 1320) All three had hollow ground drop point blades, brass bolsters rosewood scales, and included a black webbed fabric scabbard with leather trim. A very handsome trio.

We went to Maniago to search out a factory. One of the first things I noticed was that in the washroom or toilet of every factory was a bottle of red wine and one jelly glass sized drinking glass above the sink. One after another, during any time of the day, workers would go in and out. Without fail they would have a little “swig” and then back to knife sharpening. ( as with the Germans, they too worked in a standing position)

We got to know the owners quite well over several visits that included big lunches and dinners with Gianni and his family. Outside the factory in the beautiful countryside was their family vineyard. My wife Judy asked how many bottles they produced per year. Gianni replied, “2,500”. Judy then ask. “How do you distribute all of that”? “Oh, no problem…we drink it all ourselves”.

With the building of the Kershaw factory in Oregon in 1997, there was no longer a need to buy knives made by outside sources like Gianni in Maniago. They were very nice knives and helped the company fill a demand when we needed it.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by garddogg56 »

::tu:: good looking set Dale ::nod::
marcellusW

Post by marcellusW »

Absolutely

Swapped a black blade from a 1660 CKT into a black anodized aluminum liner lock handle

Lightened the carry weight

Edit:

Can't post photo from Photo Bucket , I don't get it?
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

marcellusW wrote:
Edit:

Can't post photo from Photo Bucket , I don't get it?
It's been a while since you've visited the forum Marcellus. There were some changes back in the late Spring. Bryan moved the forum to a different server and upgraded the forum software. One of the things he did was disable the "[img]" feature, so no, you can no longer post images from outside AAPK.

He did this because so many people use AAPK as a research resource. Places like Photobucket are not a permanent storage solutions and for various reasons the images are sometimes no longer available for viewing. Bryan decided that since AAPK has generous storage facilities and adequate bandwidth, all images will be stored here so they will always be available and not "disappear" from the posts.

So upload the images from your device (PC, notebook, tablet, smartphone, etc) that you want to display. That functions pretty much the same way it did with the old forum software. One added advantage is the forum now accepts image formats other than .jpg. You can now upload .GIF, .TIF and .PNG formats. Drag & Drop was also added which I find as handy as a pocket on a shirt. It allows you to add several images as one operation.

Should you have any other questions, there is a new forum called "AAPK Tips and Tricks -- An Illustrated FAQ Forum on Steriods". ( http://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/kni ... m.php?f=98 ) It's a work in progress and not comprehensive so feel free to add any little trick you discover OR ask to have something added.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
marcellusW

Post by marcellusW »

Thanks Jerry

I am an old dog and new computer related stuff comes very slowly to me

I will look into the new way of posting pics, if I find the patience
marcellusW

Post by marcellusW »

OK, that wasn't too hard
I used the drag method Jerry, thanks for taking the time to respond
IMG_0486_zpstjagcmdl.JPG
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

You're very welcome and love that Leek. In fact, I love all the Onion series.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
marcellusW

Post by marcellusW »

I had to upload another Kershaw to make sure I did not load the last picture by accident
I didn't drag the pic this time

Thanks again Jerry, Semper Fi, or, as we say Semper Paratus

100_1508.JPG
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Oh (in my best Curly of the Three Stooges imitation) Coast Guard eh? One of the guys I went through boot camp with became a Coastie when he got out of the Corps and made them a career. Semper P (I can't spell Paratus without help)
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

I have a red Half-Ton and a blue Chubby (SFO for Snap-On) so thought I had them all until I recently ran onto this orange Half-Ton and a black Half-Ton. The orange is an SFO for Buck Commander but I believe the black was open stock. This is the first black I've seen. Maybe the first one they made?

Black one is sellers picture. It won't be here until tomorrow or Monday.

Edit: I just noticed the finger notch in the two handles are slightly different. Just a skosh.
Attachments
Kershaw Half-Ton - 1445ORBCX Buck Commander - Mark Open.JPG
Kershaw Half-Ton 1445 Black-Mark crop.jpg
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

Nice 1/2 tons!! jerry.. I like how you pick a pattern then search out all variations!! But whats really kool is you take us along for the ride!! ::tu:: KOOL!!!! ::tu:: ::tu:: John :D
Not all who wander are lost!!

Of all the paths you take in life,
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!!
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

I'm just not dexterous at all with thumb studs but for some reason, I have no trouble with the Half-Ton. ::shrug::

That's what's so good/bad about AAPK, John.
The good, the bad and the ugly.
See knife. Like knife.
See knife. Want knife.
See knife. MUST HAVE KNIFE!
Attachments
Flying Money.jpg
Flying Money.jpg (19.44 KiB) Viewed 7364 times
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

jerryd6818 wrote:I have a red Half-Ton and a blue Chubby (SFO for Snap-On) so thought I had them all until I recently ran onto this orange Half-Ton and a black Half-Ton. The orange is an SFO for Buck Commander but I believe the black was open stock. This is the first black I've seen. Maybe the first one they made?

Black one is sellers picture. It won't be here until tomorrow or Monday.

Edit: I just noticed the finger notch in the two handles are slightly different. Just a skosh.
That was back in August and sugar booger, wouldn't you know it, the seller did a half-a$$ed job of packaging the black half-ton and the other knife that came with it split open the envelope and lost the Kershaw. He then tried to tell me it wasn't his fault, "he has no control over the knife once the post office get's their hands on it." Horse feathers! No point in whining. It's a four month old issue now.

I bought this 2007 black Speed Bump from Keith (Ozzie Marie) at the Beloit show this fall. Keith gave me a whale of a deal on it.
Attachments
Kershaw Speed Bump 1595ALBLK - Open Mark.JPG
Kershaw Speed Bump 1595ALBLK - Blade Pile Side.JPG
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
Nev52

Post by Nev52 »

I have 2 snap on anniversary editions. The wild turkey 4150 and the Big joe 4200. ::tu::
kershaw knives.jpg

Return to “Kershaw Knife Forum”