The 1040, Folding Field II

Kershaw began its foray into the knife business sometime during 1974. The company was originally based in Portland Oregon, but most early knives were manufactured in Japan. The first US manufacturing plant was opened in 1997 & the company currently offers knives made in the U.S., Japan, & China. Pete Kershaw (an ex Gerber salesman) started the business.
Frankki

The 1040, Folding Field II

Postby Frankki » Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:17 pm

Found a bargain on one of these and bought it on the spot, of course. Great little lockback hunter, slimmer and lighter than a Buck 112, and I do love the sandalwood handles. ::nod::

Mine says just "Kershaw" on the mark side, "1040" and "Japan" on pile side, no mention of Oregon, USA or KAI or Folding Field anywhere. Does anyone know whether that indicates earlier or later production? Long since discontinued at any rate, so I consider myself lucky for having found one.

ker1.JPG

ker2.JPG

ker3.JPG

Looking great next to the big brother 1050 as well!

ker4.JPG

Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Re: The 1040, Folding Field II

Postby Quick Steel » Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:50 pm

Can't help with the age, but it looks very good and makes a great pairing with your larger model. ::tu::
"Life is good if you don't weaken." AG Russell

Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Postby Sharpnshinyknives » Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:07 pm

Frankki wrote:Found a bargain on one of these and bought it on the spot, of course. Great little lockback hunter, slimmer and lighter than a Buck 112, and I do love the sandalwood handles. ::nod::

Mine says just "Kershaw" on the mark side, "1040" and "Japan" on pile side, no mention of Oregon, USA or KAI or Folding Field anywhere. Does anyone know whether that indicates earlier or later production? Long since discontinued at any rate, so I consider myself lucky for having found one.

ker1.JPG

ker2.JPG

ker3.JPG

Looking great next to the big brother 1050 as well!

ker4.JPG

If you don’t get an answer, contact Gary Kennedy. He will know.
SSk

kennedy knives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Postby kennedy knives » Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:46 am

There is a good post on here that will show What you are looking For ( First & Second Generation Kershaw ) By Orvet Custom It's kind of like what Al-Mar did the first couple years the Back of Blade Stamp Had USA with Japan then they took the USA off . Hope this make sense ::shrug::

Frankki

Postby Frankki » Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:16 pm

Thanks fellas!

There is good info about the 1050 tang stamps on the Hattori Collector website, http://hattoricollector.com/2015/09/24/the-kershaws/ and from there I sort of got the idea that the less writing and details in the stamp, the earlier the version. Still, not quite the same knife, obviously.

Also, found this old advertisement from a 1981 paper, showing the 1040 series knives: http://www.vintagepaperads.com/1981-Ker ... 06248.html It's just a bit small so you can't really see the tang stamp in detail.

Return to “Kershaw Knife Forum”