Kershaw USA vs Kershaw China

Kershaw began its foray into the knife business sometime during 1974. The company was originally based in Portland Oregon, but most early knives were manufactured in Japan. The first US manufacturing plant was opened in 1997 & the company currently offers knives made in the U.S., Japan, & China. Pete Kershaw (an ex Gerber salesman) started the business.
Toejammer

Kershaw USA vs Kershaw China

Postby Toejammer » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:09 pm

Kershaw USA wins.

Ok, I'll elaborate, was breaking down boxes today for recycling (cause I'm a tree huggin kinda guy) and went through the edge on my Cryo II pretty quick. Started out just slicing like butter, but soon I was hacking and cussing.....

So I figured good a time as any for a -vs- test, and so I grabbed my new Link. Suffice to say, was slicing like butter through twice as many boxes as the Cryo did,.....and still shaved arm hair afterward.

Both were brand new factory edges, similar blade dimensions. For what its worth, the USA Kershaw kicked the China Kershaw's arse. Your mileage may very. Feel free to discuss .... :mrgreen:
A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer.
Bruce Lee

treefarmer

Re: Kershaw USA vs Kershaw China

Postby treefarmer » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:29 pm

Toejammer,
Seems like a great comparisson. That's as fair as you can make it without doin' a test in a lab! That supports the old saying, "The proof is in the pudding".
Toejammer, by the way, y'all ought to let a few of them boxes go on to the land fill, 'cause somebody needs to keep buyin' these pine trees to make more cardboard. :) ::poke::
Treefarmer

garddogg56

Postby garddogg56 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:48 pm

Toe -jam I didn't do a comparison but the first week at work I chipped the blade on my Cryo when I re shaped the blade I found the steel to be brittle ::shrug::
"On the Road Again"Willie Nelson

Stakeknife

Postby Stakeknife » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:59 pm

I think it's not so much where it's made but the steel.

The Cryo uses 8cr13moV which is a Chinese mystery steel with Titanium in it to make it hard

The Link uses good old 420 HC a higher carbon and chromium steel
NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Toejammer

Postby Toejammer » Sat Apr 22, 2017 3:00 am

Stakeknife wrote:I think it's not so much where it's made but the steel.

The Cryo uses 8cr13moV which is a Chinese mystery steel with Titanium in it to make it hard

The Link uses good old 420 HC a higher carbon and chromium steel

True ::tu::
A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer.
Bruce Lee

Return to “Kershaw Knife Forum”