Factory Unsharpened Colonials

Colonial Knife was incorporated in 1926 by three brothers; Antonio, Domenic, & Fredrick Paolantonio. It grew to become one of the largest pocket knife manufacturers in the US during the 1960s. The company shut down in 1998, but was back into production under the Colonial Cutlery International Corporation in 2001. Colonial Cutlery International, Inc. brand is the imported line of knives and tools while the U.S.A.- made products fall under the Colonial Knife brand.
CluelessNick
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Factory Unsharpened Colonials

Post by CluelessNick »

Over the past 6 months I have purchased quite a few Colonial knives and have received several that appear to have left the factory completely dull, like butter knife dull. No sign of any bevel and no edge at all. One is a Colonial shell handle jack knife another is an Old Cutler Muskrat. Also the stag handle RAP cutler I bought came the same way but I sharpened it. Has anyone else experienced this with any of their knives?
Attachments
Col jack 2.jpg
DSC_4063.JPG
DSC_4068.JPG
Papa Bones
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Re: Factory Unsharpened Colonials

Post by Papa Bones »

Nice looking knives Nick. But yes, you will find some Colonials, as well as Imperials, and Novelty Knife Company knives with un-sharpened blades from time to time. I feel that at times their quality control wasn't as keen as other knife companies. A lot of Colonials, Imperials, and Novelty Knife Company knives were presented and sold to stores on display cards and produced in large numbers. So to meet production, quality may have slipped a bit. I have a few myself. ::tu::
Sometimes I Sit and Think ::hmm:: .... Other times I just Sit
I May Grow Older, But I refuse to Grow Up!!
I'll sharpen it for you, but I don't give out band-aids!!

Smitty
CluelessNick
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by CluelessNick »

Papa Bones wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 6:07 pm Nice looking knives Nick. But yes, you will find some Colonials, as well as Imperials, and Novelty Knife Company knives with un-sharpened blades from time to time. I feel that at times their quality control wasn't as keen as other knife companies. A lot of Colonials, Imperials, and Novelty Knife Company knives were presented and sold to stores on display cards and produced in large numbers. So to meet production, quality may have slipped a bit. I have a few myself. ::tu::
Thanks Smitty I was just curious if it was a common thing. Think you gave a complete answer to that question.
Ripster
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ripster »

Nick, thinking about this topic you and Smitty covered. Did your purchase of that set of new in box come in yet! Are they sharp or dull? Just Curious.
Thanks
JP
CluelessNick
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by CluelessNick »

Ripster wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:47 pm Nick, thinking about this topic you and Smitty covered. Did your purchase of that set of new in box come in yet! Are they sharp or dull? Just Curious.
Thanks
Yeah, those knives were all in great shape. Factory edges and nice fit and finish. Really happy with them.
Ripster
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ripster »

CluelessNick wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:31 pm
Ripster wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:47 pm Nick, thinking about this topic you and Smitty covered. Did your purchase of that set of new in box come in yet! Are they sharp or dull? Just Curious.
Thanks
Yeah, those knives were all in great shape. Factory edges and nice fit and finish. Really happy with them.
Did you post them somewhere? And don’t remember what tang stamp is on that set .
JP
CluelessNick
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by CluelessNick »

Ripster wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:39 pm
CluelessNick wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:31 pm
Thanks
Did you post them somewhere? And don’t remember what tang stamp is on that set .
Nah, I didn't bother posting photos of the set. They are just Old Cutler knives in different handle colors.I've purchased 3 of these sets so far.
Attachments
8.jpg
9.jpg
10.jpg
Papa Bones
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Papa Bones »

CluelessNick wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:53 pm

Nah, I didn't bother posting photos of the set. They are just Old Cutler knives in different handle colors.I've purchased 3 of these sets so far.
Very Nice Nick!! ::tu:: ::tu::
Sometimes I Sit and Think ::hmm:: .... Other times I just Sit
I May Grow Older, But I refuse to Grow Up!!
I'll sharpen it for you, but I don't give out band-aids!!

Smitty
Ripster
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ripster »

Papa Bones wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:03 am
CluelessNick wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:53 pm

Very Nice Nick!! ::tu:: ::tu::
Agree, really like the last set ::tu::
JP

Return to “Colonial Knife Collector's Forum”