Colonial Horseman's Knife

Colonial Knife was incorporated in 1926 by three brothers; Antonio, Domenic, & Fredrick Paolantonio. It grew to become one of the largest pocket knife manufacturers in the US during the 1960s. The company shut down in 1998, but was back into production under the Colonial Cutlery International Corporation in 2001. Colonial Cutlery International, Inc. brand is the imported line of knives and tools while the U.S.A.- made products fall under the Colonial Knife brand.
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Colonial Horseman's Knife

Post by 1967redrider »

Not sure about this one, but did Colonial make a horsemen's knife similar to the O. Barnett Tool Co. pliers and hoof pick knife?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-Coloni ... 0010.m2109

It looks kind of suspicious to me, but I may be wrong. ::hmm:: Pretty hefty price tag too, must be rare? ::shrug::
Attachments
Colonial Horsemens.jpg
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
cody6268

Re: Colonial Horseman's Knife

Post by cody6268 »

I showed that same one some time ago on the counterfeit forum. Someone's still trying to pass it off as real. The blade is a replacement, because the way Barnett tempered the blades, they broke easily.
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

cody6268 wrote:I showed that same one some time ago on the counterfeit forum. Someone's still trying to pass it off as real. The blade is a replacement, because the way Barnett tempered the blades, they broke easily.
Thanks for your reply, cody. ::handshake:: $450 seems like a hard lesson to learn for some unsuspecting newbie getting into collecting. Those Christmas Tree scales are outgassed to the max. ::barf:: ::barf:: ::barf::

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

cody6268 wrote:I showed that same one some time ago on the counterfeit forum. Someone's still trying to pass it off as real. The blade is a replacement, because the way Barnett tempered the blades, they broke easily.
Hey Cody, did Barnett make these with celluloid handles?
All I have ever seen are bone.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

edge213 wrote:
I don't think so, and I'm sure if they did, there'd be an example of an ad for the knife with the handles. And I think the production of these knives (late 1880s, to early 1900s) predated Christmas Tree celluloid. I suspect the guy way back then that put the Colonial blade in the knife thought it would look good with those celluloid scales.
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

cody6268 wrote:
edge213 wrote:
I don't think so, and I'm sure if they did, there'd be an example of an ad for the knife with the handles. And I think the production of these knives (late 1880s, to early 1900s) predated Christmas Tree celluloid. I suspect the guy way back then that put the Colonial blade in the knife thought it would look good with those celluloid scales.
I agree completely. Wish the eBayer would wake up and realize this, especially at $450! ::skeptic::

Return to “Colonial Knife Collector's Forum”