Old Cutler

Colonial Knife was incorporated in 1926 by three brothers; Antonio, Domenic, & Fredrick Paolantonio. It grew to become one of the largest pocket knife manufacturers in the US during the 1960s. The company shut down in 1998, but was back into production under the Colonial Cutlery International Corporation in 2001. Colonial Cutlery International, Inc. brand is the imported line of knives and tools while the U.S.A.- made products fall under the Colonial Knife brand.
saltwaterebel

Old Cutler

Post by saltwaterebel »

When did Colonial introduce the Old Cutler brand? The couple of them that I have purchased have nice fit and finish. Also, what steel is used in the 521 and 523 jacks? Thanks Folks!
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Old Cutler

Post by doglegg »

Don't know when they were introduced. I have a few and find them really good knives. The steel is 1095 I believe. ::tu::
saltwaterebel

Post by saltwaterebel »

thanks dogleg.
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifeaholic »

saltwaterebel wrote:When did Colonial introduce the Old Cutler brand? The couple of them that I have purchased have nice fit and finish. Also, what steel is used in the 521 and 523 jacks? Thanks Folks!
I don't know the exact year but it was around 1975 to 1977.
Steve Pfeiffer, author of Collecting Case Knives: Identification and Price Guide published by Krause Publications.
saltwaterebel

Post by saltwaterebel »

Thanks 'holic ! Any idea when they dropped the name?
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifeaholic »

saltwaterebel wrote:Thanks 'holic ! Any idea when they dropped the name?
Most likely late 90's or so when they closed their US factory.
Steve Pfeiffer, author of Collecting Case Knives: Identification and Price Guide published by Krause Publications.
saltwaterebel

Post by saltwaterebel »

Thanks for all the info. I was frankly quite surprised with the quality of the 3 I have bought over the years. Have a blessed day!
Blade Man

Post by Blade Man »

I have an old cutler V.I.P. model nickle bolsters brass liners and rose wood scales
really nice looking never used.
saltwaterebel

Post by saltwaterebel »

blademan--stockman?
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

I'm kinda partial to Old Cutlers. I find them a quality knife and with good steel.
DSCN4729.JPG
DSCN4731.JPG
saltwaterebel

Post by saltwaterebel »

dogglegg--I bought a couple a few years back and just bought one from Sanders Knives and I agree. I may be buying some more. The knife I recently bought here is a NOS smooth white stockman and I had intended to EDC it but its too nice!
saltwaterebel

Post by saltwaterebel »

Oh by the way dogglegg, those are all fine looking American beauties.
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

saltwaterebel wrote:Oh by the way dogglegg, those are all fine looking American beauties.
Thank you Sir. Certainly quality knives and for a very reasonable price. ::nod::
Blade Man

Post by Blade Man »

saltwaterebel wrote:blademan--stockman?
yes it is
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

dogleg, that's a nice pile of knives, looks to be several different patterns. Were any made with bone handles?
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

treefarmer wrote:dogleg, that's a nice pile of knives, looks to be several different patterns. Were any made with bone handles?
Treefarmer
Sorry I missed this earlier Philip, I would have to look but I don't think so.
JohnR
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by JohnR »

I've picked up a few Old Cutlers, as others have stated they are nice knives. This is the latest.
Attachments
IMG_0745.jpg
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

I have posted this other places (some wrong) but I suppose it would fit good here. My latest ,a hawk bill stockman, and it has fancy file work.
DSCN6037.JPG
DSCN6038.JPG
DSCN6043.JPG
Papa Bones
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Papa Bones »

JohnR wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:50 pm I've picked up a few Old Cutlers, as others have stated they are nice knives. This is the latest.
::woot:: Oooooooooooooohhhhhhhh, JohnR, those handles are beautiful. Very nice
Sometimes I Sit and Think ::hmm:: .... Other times I just Sit
I May Grow Older, But I refuse to Grow Up!!
I'll sharpen it for you, but I don't give out band-aids!!

Smitty
Papa Bones
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Papa Bones »

doglegg wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:14 pm I have posted this other places (some wrong) but I suppose it would fit good here. My latest ,a hawk bill stockman, and it has fancy file work. DSCN6037.JPGDSCN6038.JPGDSCN6043.JPG
Shaweeeet!! ::tu:: ::tu::
Sometimes I Sit and Think ::hmm:: .... Other times I just Sit
I May Grow Older, But I refuse to Grow Up!!
I'll sharpen it for you, but I don't give out band-aids!!

Smitty
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Thanks Papa Bones, I was on an Old Cutler hunt for a while. Really well made knives and usually very reasonable. Thanks again. ::handshake::
TPK

Post by TPK »

doglegg wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:14 pm I have posted this other places (some wrong) but I suppose it would fit good here. My latest ,a hawk bill stockman, and it has fancy file work. DSCN6037.JPGDSCN6038.JPGDSCN6043.JPG
Hi Floyd,

Looks like you have a nice collection of Old Cutler knives going on! ::tu:: Congratulations on your fine selection of OC's. ::tu:: ::nod::

I stumbled across the first OC I have ever seen on eBay Germany this morning. ::tu:: ::super_happy:: The scales look like the same material as the ones on your OC. Those wouldn't just happen to be white bone by any chance would they?

Could you look at these pictures & then guess what this knife might sell for if it were in the states. Just to give me an idea of what it might be worth. ::shrug::

Thanks for your time. ::handshake::

YF,
Tom
Attachments
s-l1600 (40).jpg
s-l1600 (39).jpg
s-l1600 (38).jpg
s-l1600 (31).jpg
s-l1600 (30).jpg
TOM - KGFG - (Knife-Guy-From-Germany)

I believe..., every knife is a soul, looking for a soulmate. :wink:

Weebit-Nano https://www.weebit-nano.com/
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weebit_Nano

US - ARMY - COMBAT - ENGINEERS - 1990 - 1993 - God Bless Our Troops!
TPK

Post by TPK »

TPK wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:56 am
Hi Floyd,

Looks like you have a nice collection of Old Cutler knives going on! ::tu:: Congratulations on your fine selection of OC's. ::tu:: ::nod::

I stumbled across the first OC I have ever seen on eBay Germany this morning. ::tu:: ::super_happy:: The scales look like the same material as the ones on your OC. Those wouldn't just happen to be white bone by any chance would they?

Could you look at these pictures & then guess what this knife might sell for if it were in the states. Just to give me an idea of what it might be worth. ::shrug::

Thanks for your time. ::handshake::

YF,
Tom
One more picture. ::tu::
Attachments
s-l1600 (29).jpg

doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Tom I was on a real Old Cutler addiction for a while. They were made by Colonial to go from Ford and Chevy market to Oldsmobile and Lincoln. They are really well made knives and the blades are 1095 steel. I'm not sure about the blade steel on their trapper as it was a Camillus product. I don't think there were any bone handle ones as Delrin was the handle material of choice. I think there might be some wood handle ones as well but I may be wrong. I've found them to be super quality knives and for the most part very reasonable. I think there were two sizes, large and medium, and I really like the mediums a little better but that is just personal preference. I've not gotten a bad one and they are usually very friendly priced. I think you will be pleased with one. Hope this helps. Tom if I remember I've been on the shallow side of $50.00 on about all of the ones I bought, some in the $30 range. ::handshake::
TPK

Post by TPK »

doglegg wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 12:27 pm Tom I was on a real Old Cutler addiction for a while. They were made by Colonial to go from Ford and Chevy market to Oldsmobile and Lincoln. They are really well made knives and the blades are 1095 steel. I'm not sure about the blade steel on their trapper as it was a Camillus product. I don't think there were any bone handle ones as Delrin was the handle material of choice. I think there might be some wood handle ones as well but I may be wrong. I've found them to be super quality knives and for the most part very reasonable. I think there were two sizes, large and medium, and I really like the mediums a little better but that is just personal preference. I've not gotten a bad one and they are usually very friendly priced. I think you will be pleased with one. Hope this helps. Tom if I remember I've been on the shallow side of $50.00 on about all of the ones I bought, some in the $30 range. ::handshake::
Thanks for the Input Floyd. I appreciate it. ::handshake:: This small Stockman is described as being 6 cm long so it's about 2 1/2 inches. A size I can deal well with. The auction goes on untill like 9:30 P.M. on tuesday evening but it's only at a few Euros at the moment. I'm hoping it stays low. If it does stay low, I will throw in a last second bid of probably 20 - 25 Euros & just hope for the best. That's how I buy almost all of my knives on eBay over here. I have found that if I try biding normal on something, someone with deeper pockets always comes along & over bids me. Throwing in a last second "Hail Mary" bid about 5 seconds before the auction ends works much better for me. I will try to get this one & I'm pretty excited about it because I have never seen one over here. We shall see how it goes on tuesday. ::tu:: ::pray:: :D

Thanks for your time Floyd, now I know it's at least worth the amount I am willing to bid on it. ::tu:: :wink:

Return to “Colonial Knife Collector's Forum”