Colonial Barlow with bone handle and brass bolsters ???

Colonial Knife was incorporated in 1926 by three brothers; Antonio, Domenic, & Fredrick Paolantonio. It grew to become one of the largest pocket knife manufacturers in the US during the 1960s. The company shut down in 1998, but was back into production under the Colonial Cutlery International Corporation in 2001. Colonial Cutlery International, Inc. brand is the imported line of knives and tools while the U.S.A.- made products fall under the Colonial Knife brand.
RestoMan

Colonial Barlow with bone handle and brass bolsters ???

Post by RestoMan »

Hello! I'm the newest of newbies. I picked this Barlow up in an auction lot and can't find any information on it other than being told basically that it doesn't exist. The main blade is stamped Colonial and the secondary blade has bolster patent numbers from 1967. The handle is smooth bone and the bolsters have a patina that is a flat gray. However, down in the lettering on the bolsters it appears to be brass colored. Can anybody give me background information on this critter? Thanks. Much appery good.)reciated! (Sorry, my pics aren't v
Attachments
WP_20160427_005.jpg
WP_20160427_006.jpg
WP_20160427_016.jpg
WP_20160427_017.jpg
WP_20160427_021 (1).jpg
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Re: Colonial Barlow with bone handle and brass bolsters ???

Post by TripleF »

To me, it looks like a re-handle job. Pretty sure Colonial didn't offer knives with bone scales.
SCOTT
HOME OF THE BRAVE! (not the scarety cats)

Colonial Knife Company History ebook:
https://gumroad.com/l/ZLDb
B.Mauser

Post by B.Mauser »

Hi RestoMan

I agree with Scott. Colonial didn't use real bone like that. Its a real Colonial but its been re handled.

Its not unusual to see brass or copper colors start to show through the silver on old Colonials.

Here is a picture of what I believe your knife looked like before. Notice the position of the brass pins and the color showing through the Barlow name in the 2nd picture.

Colonial Barlow 2.jpg
Colonial Barlow 2.jpg (27.86 KiB) Viewed 2608 times
Colonial Barlow Brass letters.jpg
Brian

Check out my Colonial Knife Blog - https://colonialknives.wordpress.com/20 ... roduction/
RestoMan

Post by RestoMan »

Thanks, guys. I guess I suspected that it was re-handled. It sure looks good this way, though. Haha... I looked at other Barlows I have and did see the brass color showing through the lettering, too. Glad you pointed that out, Brian. By the way, Scott, I see you're from west central Fl. I lived in Safety Harbor for a while. Beautiful area.

Return to “Colonial Knife Collector's Forum”