2 different curved tang stamps used by Colonial

Colonial Knife was incorporated in 1926 by three brothers; Antonio, Domenic, & Fredrick Paolantonio. It grew to become one of the largest pocket knife manufacturers in the US during the 1960s. The company shut down in 1998, but was back into production under the Colonial Cutlery International Corporation in 2001. Colonial Cutlery International, Inc. brand is the imported line of knives and tools while the U.S.A.- made products fall under the Colonial Knife brand.
B.Mauser

2 different curved tang stamps used by Colonial

Post by B.Mauser »

Have you guys noticed there are 2 different curved tang stamps used by Colonial?

I have about 8 Colonials with curved tang stamps in my collection. 1 is different than the others.

I have searched this on google and looked through all the curved tang stamp posts here on AAPK.

I haven't seen another like it.

Anyone know about this or have one of the different tang stamps?

The one I see more of has the curved Colonial with Providence under it and R.I. under that. Cant see the R.I. on some knives.

The other one I have has a curved Colonial at the top with Knife Co under that and Made in USA under that.

The o in Co didn't stamp well on mine and looks like is says Knife CC.

Here are the pictures.

First one.
Colonial Curved Stamp 2 X.jpg

Second one.
Colonial  Curved Stamp X.jpg
The knife its on.
Attachments
Colonial Red Cell 1 X.jpg
Brian

Check out my Colonial Knife Blog - https://colonialknives.wordpress.com/20 ... roduction/
B.Mauser

Re: 2 different curved tang stamps used by Colonial

Post by B.Mauser »

Update.

I have been looking for another Colonial with a tang stamp like this one for a while. I finally found one.

Like the one above, this one is stamped Colonial Knife Co instead of Providence.

Colonial Easy Open Curved 1 Tang .jpg
The knife its on.

Colonial Easy Open Curved 1.jpg
Colonial Easy Open Curved 2.jpg
Colonial Easy Open Curved 3.jpg
Brian

Check out my Colonial Knife Blog - https://colonialknives.wordpress.com/20 ... roduction/
B.Mauser

Re: 2 different curved tang stamps used by Colonial

Post by B.Mauser »

The second tang stamp is stamped too far to the right and the end of the L in Colonial is cut off.

I think when Colonial was changing from the CKCO tang stamp to the curved stamp they used this one for a while. Due to both tang stamps having a defect I think this was a temporary one they stamped by hand while they set up a machine to do the more often seen curved tang stamp that was used until 1938.
Brian

Return to “Colonial Knife Collector's Forum”