Modern Colonials--made in China?

Colonial Knife was incorporated in 1926 by three brothers; Antonio, Domenic, & Fredrick Paolantonio. It grew to become one of the largest pocket knife manufacturers in the US during the 1960s. The company shut down in 1998, but was back into production under the Colonial Cutlery International Corporation in 2001. Colonial Cutlery International, Inc. brand is the imported line of knives and tools while the U.S.A.- made products fall under the Colonial Knife brand.
cody6268

Modern Colonials--made in China?

Post by cody6268 »

I have heard that many modern Colonials, namely the E-Series are made in China, then assembled in RI, where they were formerly made completely.

Is this true?
Another Knife Collector

Re: Modern Colonials--made in China?

Post by Another Knife Collector »

I know some of their knives are made in China and some are supposedly made here, but I don't know to what degree. What I can say for certain is the "old Colonial" is history, the original factory is empty and abandoned, if its still standing. Others here know a lot more than I do and I'm sure will be along to clarify. :D
-Phil
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

I just happened to purchase one recently at Tractor Supply for under $13. This one is assembled in China from USA made parts, if I'm reading the labels correctly.
Attachments
WP_20160322_003.jpg
WP_20160322_004.jpg
WP_20160322_005.jpg
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
Dinadan
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Dinadan »

Note that it says assembled in China with U.S. components. It does not say that all components are U.S., so I suppose one pin or screw could make the statement truthful.
Mel
Captain O

Post by Captain O »

The components are made in the USA and assembled in China to save money. I have actually discussed this with the people in Providence. Their products are quite good, and can compete with most of the products made completely in the U.S. I have their Quick Flick and like it. The Colonial TL-29 (electrician's knife) is made from 440C Stainless Steel and is manufactured to Military Specifications (Mil Spec). I know, they issued them freely to us "swabbies" that worked on the Navy Aircraft. (Been there, done that).
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

If I understand it correctly. Colonial Cutlery International is the parent company (CCI). They have cutlery made overseas. If it's from Colonial Knife Company they are made completely in the U.S.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
deltaboy

Post by deltaboy »

Thanks I saw them at TSC but I passed this time.
Keep Near the Cross.
deltaboy

Post by deltaboy »

They are on clearance at my TSC so I,might grap one.
Keep Near the Cross.
deltaboy

Post by deltaboy »

I got one for 6:95 on Clearance . It sharp and Smooth. It got a 440A blade .
Keep Near the Cross.
deltaboy

Post by deltaboy »

Good so far.
Keep Near the Cross.

Return to “Colonial Knife Collector's Forum”