Colonial Stockman liners proud

Colonial Knife was incorporated in 1926 by three brothers; Antonio, Domenic, & Fredrick Paolantonio. It grew to become one of the largest pocket knife manufacturers in the US during the 1960s. The company shut down in 1998, but was back into production under the Colonial Cutlery International Corporation in 2001. Colonial Cutlery International, Inc. brand is the imported line of knives and tools while the U.S.A.- made products fall under the Colonial Knife brand.
SteelMyHeart85420

Colonial Stockman liners proud

Post by SteelMyHeart85420 »

Just bought a Colonial Stockman pattern with brass liners that stand proud of the rest of the frame---a significant amount, considering they're usually sanded/ polished flush on most well-made knives. Tell me that isn't normal on their knives, or tell me it's a rare/ valuable production mistake, and don't mess with it! Otherwise, I'm prolly gonna put it to the belt sander. Just wanted input prior. Thanks in advance.
FRJ

Re: Colonial Stockman liners proud

Post by FRJ »

Can't say I've ever seen a sanded Colonial.
I think there intention was to make an inexpensive knife and they did.
I'm surprised your knife has brass liners.
Attachments
IMG_5150.JPG
IMG_5151.JPG
Joe
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

Not thew norm from what I've experienced. ::shrug::
SCOTT
HOME OF THE BRAVE! (not the scarety cats)

Colonial Knife Company History ebook:
https://gumroad.com/l/ZLDb
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

It depends. Colonial made some nice knives but they also made some on the cheap that are just down and dirty cutting machines.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Jerry,
I haven't seen any Colonials that were of the same quality of the early Imperials.
Did Colonial produce knives of that quality? From my some what limited experience, I thought Colonial made a good knife, but not a very refined knife.
Joe
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Colonial made this "Old Cutler". It may not be up to the standards as the early Imperials but it's a hair of a lot better than their normal run of the mill knives. At least it's not a shell handle.
Attachments
Colonial Old Cutler both blades open - Mark.JPG
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
SteelMyHeart85420

I had not heard "shell handle" before, but knew immediately what you meant, being schooled by an Imperial that I still mean to rehandle, someday. Idk why...
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

jerryd6818 wrote:Colonial made this "Old Cutler". It may not be up to the standards as the early Imperials but it's a hair of a lot better than their normal run of the mill knives. At least it's not a shell handle.
Well, there's another one for me to look out for. I didn't know Colonial uped the game with something like that. Thanks Jerry.
Joe
SteelMyHeart85420

My nekkid eyes had trouble, but when I took a pic and enlarged it...it appears it's the backsprings that stand proud, not the liners (felt the other way)....I think I'll leave the backsprings full thickness ::tu:: 3rd pic is out of focus but unmistakably brass (to me). It's a decent blade for what it is, but, it's got some heavy competition in my stable of everyday Case's, let alone a few GEC's, H n R's, Queen, etc. It'll never be in that league, but, I'd carry it on a day in a swamp where there was a reasonable risk of loss, but need of an ok blade for desired (not needed) tasks...I try to avoid those commutes, anyway.... ::nod::
Attachments
P7010081.JPG
P7010082.JPG
P7010083.JPG
P7010084.JPG
deltaboy

Post by deltaboy »

Sand it down with some 220 and polish with some 400 wet dry sandpaper.
Keep Near the Cross.
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

No, 220 won't work unless you've got several hours to put into it.....
SCOTT
HOME OF THE BRAVE! (not the scarety cats)

Colonial Knife Company History ebook:
https://gumroad.com/l/ZLDb
deltaboy

Post by deltaboy »

TripleF wrote:No, 220 won't work unless you've got several hours to put into it.....
If they are that Proud get some 80-100 Wet Dry or free hand it with a Belt sander locked in a vice. ::tu::
Keep Near the Cross.

Return to “Colonial Knife Collector's Forum”