Colonial Tang stamps

Colonial Knife was incorporated in 1926 by three brothers; Antonio, Domenic, & Fredrick Paolantonio. It grew to become one of the largest pocket knife manufacturers in the US during the 1960s. The company shut down in 1998, but was back into production under the Colonial Cutlery International Corporation in 2001. Colonial Cutlery International, Inc. brand is the imported line of knives and tools while the U.S.A.- made products fall under the Colonial Knife brand.
neyef

Colonial Tang stamps

Post by neyef »

Does someone know the date ranges of the following USA made Colonial Tang stamps? I have knives with both. They are two straight lines of text.

I have read the curved text on tangs was from 1926-38. I have also read that "Cutlery" was dropped 1945-46. These are more recent then that. It would be helpful if I knew if one of these came after the other or they were used at the same time. I am trying to date the knives I have. For now I consider them made after 1946.

COLONIAL
PROV RI

COLONIAL
PROV USA

Any help is appreciated.
knifetime

Re: Colonial Tang stamps

Post by knifetime »

The best way that I know of to date Colonial knives are by the patent # if there is one,if not "Bonfire Bob" is your next best hope. Or some pics of the knife or knives in question.
Forgot my manners,welcome. ::welcome::
-"...and he that cleaveth wood shall be endangered thereby If the iron be blunt,and he do not whet the edge,then must he put to more strength....Ecclesiastes 10 10 ;So the good book says
sharpen your knife !!!
canaltownbookman

Re: Colonial Tang stamps

Post by canaltownbookman »

I have one that belonged to my Dad with a shield that reads "FISH KNIFE" and has a tang stamp that reads "COLONIAL" "PROV. U.S.A." It's a bit well used, but well loved. I'll get some photos up soon...should I do a separate thread?

Return to “Colonial Knife Collector's Forum”