Colonial Knife Company Collector's Forum

Colonial Knife was incorporated in 1926 by three brothers; Antonio, Domenic, & Fredrick Paolantonio. It grew to become one of the largest pocket knife manufacturers in the US during the 1960s. The company shut down in 1998, but was back into production under the Colonial Cutlery International Corporation in 2001. Colonial Cutlery International, Inc. brand is the imported line of knives and tools while the U.S.A.- made products fall under the Colonial Knife brand.
Luna Knife

Re: Colonial Knife Company Collector's Forum

Post by Luna Knife »

Colonial Knives have always been my favorite steel if I need a really sharp knife for cutting flesh. It is a privelege to be on this thread with such living history.
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

I have a Colonial Knives section on my blog that shows pics of some of their knives:
http://pocketknivesblog.com/category/colonial/
SCOTT
HOME OF THE BRAVE! (not the scarety cats)

Colonial Knife Company History ebook:
https://gumroad.com/l/ZLDb
313 Mike

Post by 313 Mike »

Luna Knife wrote:Colonial Knives have always been my favorite steel if I need a really sharp knife for cutting flesh. It is a privelege to be on this thread with such living history.

Hello Luna Knife and welcome to aapk!
Just curious, what kind of flesh do you cut with your Colonials?
Mike

There are those who are...and those who wish they were. He himself decides.
Bonfire bob

Post by Bonfire bob »

Thank you for the compliment about Colonial's; I am third generation Cutler and owner of the original company. If you post a pic of the knife or knives that are good flesh cutter's, I'll tell you what steel was used.... ::nod::
Welcome aboard! Bobby Paolantonio, Colonial Knife Co., R.A.P. Cutler, Heritage Cutler's...
Luna Knife

Post by Luna Knife »

313 Mike wrote:
Luna Knife wrote:Colonial Knives have always been my favorite steel if I need a really sharp knife for cutting flesh. It is a privelege to be on this thread with such living history.

Hello Luna Knife and welcome to aapk!
Just curious, what kind of flesh do you cut with your Colonials?
Thanks for the nice welcome. By cutting flesh i mean butchering animals and fish and seperating meat from skin and bone. Occasionally removing cattle testicles, being careful to hurt them as least as possible..
Bonfire bob

Post by Bonfire bob »

Good day Luna, I'm sure I speak for most folks here at AAPK, when I say we apprediate a knife lover who has the experience that you clearly have from the inside out... ::teary_eyes:: ::paranoid::
When I was 14yrs old or so my dad bought over 12 acres of land in western Cranston...
Big garden, chickens, pigs, horses,..the 12 acres we had was next door to over 600 acres of woods, streams..

If you have dropped a "Buck" in the past, did you make use of the rack for stag handled knives or was the catch mounted?? ::uc:: ::uc::
From a cutler's point of view, I see antler or horns, I see knife application possibility's!
I have lengthy experience skinning many a buck with my old pal Mike..he's not with us now.
Come to think of it my pop showed me when I was 12, his first buck!
You must also like to cook, I'm sure... ::shrug::
Bobby P. CKCo..
Luna Knife

Post by Luna Knife »

Ive never used a rack for a knife handle. I will have to learn that. I dont have a rack on my wall either.

I was checking the ammo box today and I have three knives in there that are not with my collection. My green coyote, a black ranger stockman and a utility razor knife for cutting through fur. That says something about Colonial. People still have love for the knives even though the old building is in shambles.

Here is the rest of my collection. A couple other Colonials in there
Attachments
knife collection.jpg
Bonfire bob

Post by Bonfire bob »

Very nice! You need a knife roll to keep them safe and dry..I'd send you one but
you can probably buy one on line cheaper than it would cost me to ship it to you!
In that pic I see large and medium stockman's, trapper's, a Swiss Master, Barlow's,
and some old Colonial's...the building is gone but the legend and knives will live forever!!
This is some of my work..pics from my book.."My Family Business", Colonial Knife Company.
Please check out my blog : myfamilybusinessbook@Gmail.com
Bobby P. CKCo..Cutler for ever...
All Mammoth Ivory, hand scrimmed by Joe Luiz..
Attachments
New knife pics (sized) 006.jpg
knifetime

Post by knifetime »

Hey Bobby what's the story on this one.
Attachments
2013-07-21151607_zpsf48242a8.jpg
-"...and he that cleaveth wood shall be endangered thereby If the iron be blunt,and he do not whet the edge,then must he put to more strength....Ecclesiastes 10 10 ;So the good book says
sharpen your knife !!!
Joe Dirt

Post by Joe Dirt »

Hay Luna & knifetime - I believe this is that Coyote (LB 125) that Luna commented on in another thread.
It DOES look like a knockoff of the Buck 110! I think it's a step up from the Ranger series but still has only 1075 steel.

We'll have to wait on Bobby to tell the story...

...... Joe
Attachments
camillus shell & Cyote 016.JPG
I've got a camouflage knife, but I can't find it.......

..... cardboard addicted.....

"The old timer's concentrated on making knives; not keeping records!!" ~ Bonfire bob
Joe Dirt

Post by Joe Dirt »

Added a pic of the Coyote above.

..... Joe

"The old timer's concentrated on making knives; not keeping records!!" ~ Bonfire bob
knifetime

Post by knifetime »

Thanks Joe.
-"...and he that cleaveth wood shall be endangered thereby If the iron be blunt,and he do not whet the edge,then must he put to more strength....Ecclesiastes 10 10 ;So the good book says
sharpen your knife !!!
Bonfire bob

Post by Bonfire bob »

Sorry gents; somehow I missed this one!!
This was our Coyote LB, a cheaper version of the LB-125.
The steel on the LB-125 was 1095 High Carbon steel, but these were made with 1075 steel
and the blade grinding was deeper and was applied with a new synthetic grinding wheel.
They also came with a cheaper leather pouch!
There were three sizes in all : Large to small, CY-15, CY-14, and the baby, CY-13.
Bobby P. ::tu:: ::tu::
knifetime

Post by knifetime »

1st pic- I saw this one on eBay and thought it xxx was cool. It reminds me of Schrade.

2nd pic- I had a question about a Anvil tang stamp Bob. I thought that I remembered it been a old Colonial stamp but I can't find it listed anywhere. I just bought this one . Am I right or wrong on that one,it sure would not be the first time if so.lol
Attachments
$T2eC16V,!)kFIeYKgY6oBSSPu-tg1Q~~60_57.JPG
$T2eC16R,!zgFIduKwhTDBSS2chk5iQ~~60_3.JPG
$T2eC16R,!zgFIduKwhTDBSS2chk5iQ~~60_3.JPG (39.69 KiB) Viewed 6928 times
sharpen your knife !!!
gino

Post by gino »

Bob, I sent you a PM (upper right corner of screen)
-( life is too short to carry a cheap knife )-
Bonfire bob

Post by Bonfire bob »

Hey Gino...been off line over the weekend but I saw your message and will get back to you.
Mr. knifetime has a nice Colonial Scrimshaw Series # 392SS...SS for Scrimshaw Series...
We offered these from the mid 80's to mid 90's and this particular Barlow had a wholesale price of $ 4.15 each..$ 49.80 per dozen...blade etching was free.... ::tu::

And we have an old MC-47 money clip!! Nice secondary blanking opperation with many different designs! Our biggest buyer of this incredibly popular model was Chivas Regal, totalling around 25 thousand pieces per year....in total, we sold a half a million of these a year for many years..!! mass production...
I just wish I could take you all for a tour of the factory that I literally grew up in.. ::ds::
Bobby P. CKCo...
knifetime

Post by knifetime »

Man Bob that would be great. A trip threw the old factory. Since I read your book I have a good idea of the layout and the day to day work that went on there. It sure would be nice to see the real thing.
The Barlow slipped threw my hands and I have kicked my self ever since the eBay auction ended. But I do own the Anvil marked one.
I have a bid on a Palco marked knife fork spoon set but it has that Colonial look to it,maybe you can tell me if I am right about that.
I would just like to think you for all your help with these old knives you are a wealth of knowledge and very much appreciated. Thanks Bob
Attachments
$T2eC16NHJG!FFmzHEqo0BSQdDD,RJg~~60_57.JPG
sharpen your knife !!!
Bonfire bob

Post by Bonfire bob »

Hey Joe!! Nice Colonial # 2644 Camper!!
Out of all the names that the old timers used in their many early years. Palco was not one of the names they used....
There's really nothing I have in my history of a relationship with Palco and Colonial..that's not to say it didn't exist! Is this the Palco Camper your talking about or is this pic of a Colonial??
Show me a pic of the Palco and I will be able to give you a definate answer..this Colonial camper dates about 1950 and up..
Bobby P....
They had P&S Cutlery, Providence Cutlery Company, and the A.Paolantonio Cutlery Company, but no official company called
"Palco".....
knifetime

Post by knifetime »

That is the Palco Bob. It is stamped Palco,Worc USA. It just had that Colonial look to me, especially the handles.
I know Palco made a lot of camping equipment but that knife just looked like a Colonial to me. Thanks for your help.
Attachments
$(KGrHqFHJEwFIpUwwZ02BSQdDuD62Q~~60_57.JPG
sharpen your knife !!!
Joe Dirt

Post by Joe Dirt »

Check out Scott's post about halfway down this topic for a Colonial stamped hobo.
The Palco looks very, very, very close if not the same knife.

http://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/kni ... 87&t=32528

..... Joe

Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

knifetime wrote:It is stamped Palco,Worc USA.
I am convinced it was made by Ideal Knife Co. ::nod::
AAPK Janitor
knifetime

Post by knifetime »

Thanks for the help guy's. I have no idea on this company at all other than I have seen alot of camping equipment with their stamp.Ether way I own it now.
Joe it looks the same and I have seen that same handle material on Colonial.
Miller I don't know much about Ideals knives at all. You could be very right.
sharpen your knife !!!
Bonfire bob

Post by Bonfire bob »

Very good Miller Bro's !! ::nod:: ::nod::
We're talking about sometime in the "industrial revolution" when tool makers were a dime a dozen!! We were making tools for everything back then and I think that Palco could very well been made by Ideal Knife or even Providence Cutlery! IF it were an old Colonial, it would have a curved tang stamp..and it would say Colonial... ::hmm:: ::hmm::
Great job everybody!! I love this site just for this reason! ::ds::
knifetime

Post by knifetime »

Miller Bro`s wrote:
knifetime wrote:It is stamped Palco,Worc USA.
I am convinced it was made by Ideal Knife Co. ::nod::
Dimitri I was just wondering what gives it away. I see a chance to learn something. Thanks again.
sharpen your knife !!!
Bonfire bob

Post by Bonfire bob »

YES!! Proof positive it's NOT a Colonial by the testimony of the tang stamp alone!
I'm not sure what ever happened to Ideal if or when they ever left Providence, R.I.
I have been through the old factory of Ideal in Prov., about 40 years ago....
My personal info about Ideal ended years ago.... ::nod:: ::nod::
Bobby P. CKCo....

Return to “Colonial Knife Collector's Forum”