Ranger repair questions

Colonial Knife was incorporated in 1926 by three brothers; Antonio, Domenic, & Fredrick Paolantonio. It grew to become one of the largest pocket knife manufacturers in the US during the 1960s. The company shut down in 1998, but was back into production under the Colonial Cutlery International Corporation in 2001. Colonial Cutlery International, Inc. brand is the imported line of knives and tools while the U.S.A.- made products fall under the Colonial Knife brand.
semroc

Ranger repair questions

Post by semroc »

Hello all. Really enjoying this forum. My ranger has seen better days. Theres a gap between the end spring and the spey blade. Should i put it in a vise, and tighten it up? Thought I'd ask before I start messing with it. Don't want to screw it up more. But it still works great. Thank you. Eli
0919191755a.jpg
0919191755b.jpg
0919191756.jpg
It's important not to think too much about what you do. Lee Marvin
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Ranger repair questions

Post by btrwtr »

I'm not sure how these knives are put together and I wouldn't try or suggest any repair attempt without knowing. I don't believe they are pin through bolster construction, might be Swinden construction. Maybe someone here knows.
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
semroc

Post by semroc »

Thanks btrwtr. I guess the gap is between the spring and the liner.
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

btrwtr wrote:I'm not sure how these knives are put together and I wouldn't try or suggest any repair attempt without knowing. I don't believe they are pin through bolster construction, might be Swinden construction. Maybe someone here knows.
Rangers use a system that is, in a way, sort of like Swinden, but a bit more simplified. Never took one apart, but I really like digging into the patents on folding knives.

This is a bit of an in-depth overview of them. SEems like compared to Swinden, these are actually comparatively easy to work on.

https://colonialknives.wordpress.com/20 ... er-patent/

US3317996-0.png
Jeffinn
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Jeffinn »

I had one of these apart just recently.
As shown in the patent diagram the bolster is pressed on after the assembly is made. The blades and liners are assembled and riveted then the bolsters are pressed on via a hydraulic/pneumatic press. There is an in depth discussion about this design in one of the other forums.
I had originally thought I could solder the bolsters in place, drill them for a pin and then re-assemble the knife. However, the bolsters do not appear to be nickel silver, they are some sort of softer metal (as a FYI, a torch will melt the bolster before the solder flows).
I set it aside for the time being.
In answer to your question, it is doubtful that you can easily repair your ranger knife.it would need to be disassembled, the blade re-pinned and then re-assembled. Since the bolsters are pressed on the disassembly/reassembly is problematic.
That’s been my experience anyway, others may have another option.
Jeff
Hey … it’s a pocketknife for gosh sakes. I’m not selling the Mona Lisa….Bullitt4001
https://www.jfinamoreknives.com
http://www.secondlifeknives.com
semroc

Post by semroc »

Thank you for the responses. That overview with bolster pics is great. It works good now. I might just leave it alone. Its also a good excuse to hunt down another one. much appreciated. Eli
Blade Man

Post by Blade Man »

semroc wrote:Hello all. Really enjoying this forum. My ranger has seen better days. Theres a gap between the end spring and the spey blade. Should i put it in a vise, and tighten it up? Thought I'd ask before I start messing with it. Don't want to screw it up more. But it still works great. Thank you. Eli0919191755a.jpg0919191755b.jpg0919191756.jpg

Colonial Knife has a lifetime warranty on their knives,ship it to them and they will fix it
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

Blade Man wrote:
semroc wrote:Hello all. Really enjoying this forum. My ranger has seen better days. Theres a gap between the end spring and the spey blade. Should i put it in a vise, and tighten it up? Thought I'd ask before I start messing with it. Don't want to screw it up more. But it still works great. Thank you. Eli0919191755a.jpg0919191755b.jpg0919191756.jpg

Colonial Knife has a lifetime warranty on their knives,ship it to them and they will fix it

But are original Colonials covered? I seem to recall the warranty only included those made by the new company.

Return to “Colonial Knife Collector's Forum”