Lubrication for folding manual and automatoc

If you like Automatic knives, this is the forum to discuss and display them.
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Lubrication for folding manual and automatoc

Post by Madmarco »

treefarmer wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 12:38 pm
Thanks for explaining that to me T.F.! ::handshake:: From your description that sounded like exactly what you meant, but I'd never heard of that before so I just wanted to clarify for future reference! BTW, did Disney ruin Orange County as a good place to live? ::shrug:: Thx! 8)
[/quote]

To answer your question about Disney, in my opinion, Disney was one of the greatest contributors responsible for the massive influx of people into what was once a pleasant place to live. Progress comes to most all communities, the old ways seem to fade away, that progress changed way too many things for me to feel comfortable.
My wife and I made a decision to leave there early in 1973, it took about 6 months to find the "right" place to live. Been on this small farm in the Panhandle for almost 50 years. Returning frequently to Orange County to visit family, on both sides, we are amazed at the "progress" every time we visit! Places we used to know have been absorbed into the madness that was once a place where you could " drive to town", now the town is every where! Some folks love it. I for one don't care for the madness of what was once the "City Beautiful", Orlando.
Economically, Disney was a boon to the area, lots and lots of jobs and business expansions came as a result of Disney moving into the southwest part of Orange County. Lots of our family benefited from it but I could see the "hand writing on the wall" and chose to raise my family in a slower paced environment. Lots of people will disagree with my opinion about the conditions that exist but I've never really regretted leaving the place where my wife and I grew up.
Treefarmer
[/quote]
Thank you for your detailed reply T.F. . I had a feeling it was something similar to what you described but felt compelled to hear it from the horse's mouth, so to speak. And I wholeheartedly agree with you that progress has come at a very high price. All any of us needs to do is think back to our teens and early adulthood and remember how simple and easy living was, and then fast-forward to today where life can be a grind at times with all the daily chaos and hustle-bustle attitude many folks have nowadays. An even better example would be to compare gasoline prices from then and now! My ex-wife and son live in Bradenton, Florida and a big part of why they are there and I am here is her desire for a faster way of life and she found it down there. I can remember as a kid my Dad taking us for drives in the country, and now I live in what use to be the country! So kudos to you for taking the initiative to pack up and move your entire life to where it's relaxed with a much slower pace, you'll likely live longer for it! 8) EDIT: At this point Id like to sincerely apologize to Fred for hijacking his thread about lubricants with other subject matter! ::handshake::
8)
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

I like using Strike Hold. It dries leaving a great lubricating film which doesn’t attract dust or gum up. Great for the pivot. On the blade surface, it leaves behind a protective coating as well, which resistant oils from your hands. Great stuff you can use on anything that needs to be lubricated. Use sparingly it lasts for a long time
https://www.strikehold.com/
"The Edge...There is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Interesting, thanks for posting. A dry lube that doesn’t attract dirt and also protects against rust. Looks like someone has finally come out with a product similar to Tuf-Glide.
https://sentrytactical.com/cleaning-and-lubrication/

https://www.shootingillustrated.com/con ... -products/

If so it’s good stuff. ::tu:: ::tu::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

Mumbleypeg wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 10:48 pm Interesting, thanks for posting. A dry lube that doesn’t attract dirt and also protects against rust. Looks like someone has finally come out with a product similar to Tuf-Glide.
https://sentrytactical.com/cleaning-and-lubrication/

https://www.shootingillustrated.com/con ... -products/

If so it’s good stuff. ::tu:: ::tu::

Ken
Ken: I haven’t tried Tuf-Glide so I can’t say which product performs better. I can say that Strike Hold has performed great for me. I’ve used it for years.
"The Edge...There is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

I'm sure it's good stuff. I'm just surprised at the lack of popularity of dry lubes like molybdenum disulfide, other disulfides, and even graphite which are so commonly used in other applications. Having been primarily developed for aerospace, metal machining, firearms and other high-friction applications their high lubricity under extreme conditions of temperature and stress is for sure over-kill for pocketknives. But having the benefit of not holding dirt is the big plus over oils and greases. Plus modern dry lubes are relatively inexpensive. So why not?

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

Mumbleypeg wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 9:02 pm I'm sure it's good stuff. I'm just surprused at the lack of popularity of dry lubes like molybdenum disulfide, other disulfides, and even graphite which are so commonly used in other applications. Having been primarily developed for aerospace, metal machining, firearms and other high-friction applications their high lubricity under extreme conditions of temperature and stress is for sure over-kill for pocketknives. But having the benefit of not holding dirt is the big plus over oils and greases. Plus modern dry lubes are relatively inexpensive. So why not?
I agree with you 100% Ken. We use lubes to protect and preserve knives. Why use an oil that will gum up and cause problems ? And as you say, dry lubes are fairly inexpensive. As expensive as knives are getting these days, it’s cheap insurance.
Ken
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Mumbleypeg wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 9:02 pm I'm sure it's good stuff. I'm just surprised at the lack of popularity of dry lubes like molybdenum disulfide, other disulfides, and even graphite which are so commonly used in other applications. Having been primarily developed for aerospace, metal machining, firearms and other high-friction applications their high lubricity under extreme conditions of temperature and stress is for sure over-kill for pocketknives. But having the benefit of not holding dirt is the big plus over oils and greases. Plus modern dry lubes are relatively inexpensive. So why not?

Ken
I used this on this knife last night. Cheap, readily available and works. Does not hold any dirt. ::tu::
IMG_20220408_102409.jpg
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

cudgee wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 12:28 am
Mumbleypeg wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 9:02 pm I'm sure it's good stuff. I'm just surprised at the lack of popularity of dry lubes like molybdenum disulfide, other disulfides, and even graphite which are so commonly used in other applications. Having been primarily developed for aerospace, metal machining, firearms and other high-friction applications their high lubricity under extreme conditions of temperature and stress is for sure over-kill for pocketknives. But having the benefit of not holding dirt is the big plus over oils and greases. Plus modern dry lubes are relatively inexpensive. So why not?

Ken
I used this on this knife last night. Cheap, readily available and works. Does not hold any dirt. ::tu::

IMG_20220408_102409.jpg
Thanks Ken. I’ll give it a try. You can never have too much to take care to preserve your knives.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

cudgee, that one says it’s Teflon (PTFE). Yet another type of dry lubricant.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Yep, the Teflon factor will produce great results! 8)
8)
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Mumbleypeg wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 12:42 am cudgee, that one says it’s Teflon (PTFE). Yet another type of dry lubricant.

Ken
::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Madmarco wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 12:57 am Yep, the Teflon factor will produce great results! 8)
And the great thing about this product is that a short sharp spray gets right into the knife joint. Has a myriad of uses around the house where you don't want to use oil. My car still has ignition and door key, i spray some of this on my key every 6 months, you can feel the key just slide in and has remained tight without that jiggle you get over time. This should be in everyone's tool kit alongside WD-40 or similar. ::tu::
Fred Csiky

Post by Fred Csiky »

Quick release is like eating Chinese. In 15 minutes you will have to do it all over again. This oil has more dryers in it than econ-o-wash. I have never seen any other oil disappear so fast. That is why you have to shake it up to mix the dryers in the oil. But again if you got it go ahead and use it up.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Fred Csiky wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 4:56 am Quick release is like eating Chinese. In 15 minutes you will have to do it all over again. This oil has more dryers in it than econ-o-wash. I have never seen any other oil disappear so fast. That is why you have to shake it up to mix the dryers in the oil. But again if you got it go ahead and use it up.
You’re of course welcome to your opinion.

I haven’t found that to happen with Quick Release. It’s still there, and wet, weeks after being applied. However I do use and have had outstanding results from dry lubes that are applied in a wet carrier, which evaporates leaving behind the dry lube. Many superior modern lubricants are dry - suggest you look up molybdenum disulfide for example. It’s a dry lube used to lubricate jet engines. Also firearms and other applications where attracting and holding dirt, dust and other abrasive contaminants is undesired. Like pocket knives. ::hmm::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

jerryd6818 wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 11:39 am In my opinion, it's one of those "personal choice" subjects. I think most everyone has their go to lube. Mine is Quick Release.
Ditto, and lithium on things other than knives that require a longer lasting lubrication. ::tu::
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
GSPTOPDOG
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by GSPTOPDOG »

rea1eye wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 2:23 pm Be careful with any lubricant. Some tend to collect dust and some
dry out quickly over time. I agree with Jerry. Quick Release has always
done well.

In my opinion mineral oil is just a OK lubricant.

Bob

I was using mineral oil a lot a while back on advise form a fellow knife-nut. But, I found it seems to evaporate rather quickly ::hmm:: on one day, ::paranoid:: gone the next so I next tried "3-1" oil, it stays longer but is a much heavier oil. I have even used motor oil in a pinch ::paranoid::
Please visit my AAPK store: https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/ca ... er_id=2383

They say, “Hard work never hurt anyone”, but I'm still not willing to risk it.

Return to “Switchblade Knife Collector`s Forum”