case 5171L switchblade

If you like Automatic knives, this is the forum to discuss and display them.
bjh

case 5171L switchblade

Post by bjh »

I have a Case 5171L SAB that looks like all the others I have seen but the 2 rivets on the lower bolsters have spun heads on them instead of flush pins. The rivet heads are perfectly spun as are all the scale pins and looks factory. Has anyone seen these round headed rivets before? The blade pin also has nicely rounded ends.
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: case 5171L switchblade

Post by Miller Bro's »

Let's some pictures of it.
AAPK Janitor
bjh

Post by bjh »

Here's pictures of the Case 5171L with the rivets with rounded heads like I haven't seen before. Looks like factory to me.
Attachments
IMG_2076.jpg
IMG_2075.jpg
Bill DeShivs

Post by Bill DeShivs »

I believe the knife has been worked on.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler

Factory authorized repair for:
Latama
Mauro Mario
LePre
Colonial
KABAR
Hubertus, Grafrath, Ritter
Schrade Cut. Co., Geo Schrade, Pressbutton, Flylock
Falcon/AKC/AGA Campolin
Puma
Burrell Cutlery
bjh

Post by bjh »

maybe so, if I find out for sure I may convert the pins to the flush, invisible type. The knife blade peaked almost 1/8" but all it needed was a new pin through the bolsters and blade. Now it seats as deep as a new one. Other knives I have that peaked always required renewing the sear hole in the blade but this Case was unworn. the blade pin was .oo6" undersize from wear.
RalphAlsip

Post by RalphAlsip »

bjh wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 1:49 am maybe so, if I find out for sure I may convert the pins to the flush, invisible type. The knife blade peaked almost 1/8" but all it needed was a new pin through the bolsters and blade. Now it seats as deep as a new one. Other knives I have that peaked always required renewing the sear hole in the blade but this Case was unworn. the blade pin was .oo6" undersize from wear.
The 1 pin in the top bolster (the bolster where the blade opens) would not be flush. Whoever messed with this knife probably saw top bolster pin and incorrectly assumed the pins in the cap bolster should look the same way. In addition to the pins not being right, my opinion is that the stag is not period correct either (rehandled). For what it might be worth, the stamp in the cap bolster on the 71L switchblade/automatic would more commonly read "CASE'S TESTED XX" with the apostrophe S ('S) in CASE'S.
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

Why don't you show pictures of the entire knife?

These snippets are not showing the details I would link to see.
AAPK Janitor
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

RalphAlsip wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 5:56 pm Whoever messed with this knife probably saw top bolster pin and incorrectly assumed the pins in the cap bolster should look the same way.
In his last post he admitted to replacing the blade pin!
bjh wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 1:49 am The knife blade peaked almost 1/8" but all it needed was a new pin through the bolsters and blade. Now it seats as deep as a new one. Other knives I have that peaked always required renewing the sear hole in the blade but this Case was unworn. the blade pin was .oo6" undersize from wear.
AAPK Janitor
bjh

Post by bjh »

what does replacing a worn out blade pin have to do with the lower bolster pins that were in the knife when I bought it?

Return to “Switchblade Knife Collector`s Forum”