Reference Check Please

If you like Automatic knives, this is the forum to discuss and display them.
TexasRed

Reference Check Please

Post by TexasRed »

Guys, new to the forum and I do not know anyone. TazmanTom18 has a knife I would lime to buy. I don’t know the guy and he wants a USPS money order. This offers me no protection from a scammer or cheat (not saying I have any reason to think he is, I just know no one on here).

So, can any anyone vouch for him or provide a reference?

Thanks in advance for any help.
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Reference Check Please

Post by btrwtr »

Not a name I recognize. Can you say how or where this seller is posting this knife for sale?
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
TexasRed

Post by TexasRed »

I had a post in the Wanted section and he emailed me.
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

TexasRed wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:18 am Guys, new to the forum and I do not know anyone. TazmanTom18 has a knife I would lime to buy. I don’t know the guy and he wants a USPS money order. This offers me no protection from a scammer or cheat (not saying I have any reason to think he is, I just know no one on here).

So, can any anyone vouch for him or provide a reference?

Thanks in advance for any help.
That's a tough question Robert, and I'm not sure it's appropriate for asking publicly, although since you are new here and don't know anyone yet I can understand why you went about asking it like this. All I can say is that T.T.18 requesting a money order is not unusual as many sellers also request payment in this manner, since it eliminates the possibility of credit card fraud much the same as it would be by denying a personal check. He only has 143 posts on this forum, which isn't all that unusual since many members participate on numerous forums, but it does indicate he's not overly active here. I personally have had a couple of communications with T.T.18, and on those occasions he certainly seemed like a stand-up guy, but it's next to impossible to judge from laptop exchanges. If you click-on a member's name it will take you to their profile where you can search their posts for content as well as learn a little bit about that member. I realize this hasn't really helped with your situation, but unless someone who knows T.T.18 well responds to your query, this might be the best you'll get. 8)
8)
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Good thing you asked. We have had some scammers doing exactly what you’ve described (sending replies to requests in the “wanted” section).

If you look down at the very bottom of this page you’ll find a link to “Members”. To find a member here and view their profile, click on that, and then do a search for the member name. It will bring up an alphabetical list which is sortable by the first letter of the member name. Even that is daunting. So from that page just click again on “members” in that top line where all the alphabet is. That will open a box where you can type the member’s name. As you are typing in the name a drop down menu will appear listing member names matching what you have typed so far.

In this case I found “tazman” and “TazmanTom18”. Clicking on the name opens the member’s profile. “tazman” hasn’t made a post here in over 15 years. “TazmanTom18” has a member profile with over 100 posts and has been a member since 2017. memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=26339. From the profile you can look through the member’s previous posts. He’s also a “premium” number, meaning he’s paid a membership fee allowing him to sell here.

I haven’t had any dealings with him but that should tell you all you need to know. ::nod:: No guarantees of course but shysters don’t typically last long here without drawing negative press fairly quick.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Robert! After reading your further comment I went to the "Want" ads and saw your request for a Du Bois Thorn, is that the knife your thinking of buying from Tom and how much? I ask this because, the communications I had with Tom were about acquiring one of these knives, and at one point he said he had found one with a bayonet blade but was still looking for a dagger blade model, so it sounds like he actually has the knife and he's on the up n' up. I'm asking what the price is so I have an idea if it's in line with what it should be, because if it's not, then it might not be legit. 8)
8)
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Ask TT18 to send you the knife and then when you receive it you mail him the money.
kj
rea1eye

Post by rea1eye »

From the research I have done thru this forum he ( or she) looks legit to me. I know money orders
look kinda old school but maybe he is afraid of fraud too. Many years ago I was into Rollei cameras
and I knew a guy who only dealt in cash and money orders.

Sad we have come to a point where we think everything we deal with could be a scam. If the
price is too good to be true than ask him to explain.

Hope it all works out for everyone here ( buyer and seller)

Bob

Return to “Switchblade Knife Collector`s Forum”