Period Advertisement, Mystery Knife.

If you like Automatic knives, this is the forum to discuss and display them.
Nephilim

Period Advertisement, Mystery Knife.

Post by Nephilim »

I hope my subject title is sufficiently intriguing.
57c758a4c624678536e9c6cd8926e904.jpg
I imagine this is a post-Switchblade Act advertisement. According to the ad, this has no buttons, no springs, opens and closes with "lightening speed" and imported from Italy. Is this a basic Italian stiletto switchblade design converted to a gravity knife? That is what it sounds like to me, but I wonder what kind of locking mechanism it would have, if not a button. Unless it is just a switchblade and the ad is lying. Anyone here have an example of one of these in their collection?
kootenay joe

Re: Period Advertisement, Mystery Knife.

Post by kootenay joe »

It also says "Closes with Lightening Speed".
Very intriguing.
kj
Bill DeShivs

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Many of the post law knives were picklocks. While some automatic parts were used (bolsters) the manual knives did not have much in common with the previous autos. They were not gravity knives.
Later, many of these knives were lock backs.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler

Factory authorized repair for:
Latama
Mauro Mario
LePre
Colonial
KABAR
Hubertus, Grafrath, Ritter
Schrade Cut. Co., Geo Schrade, Pressbutton, Flylock
Falcon/AKC/AGA Campolin
Puma
Burrell Cutlery
Nephilim

Post by Nephilim »

Bill DeShivs wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 4:31 am Many of the post law knives were picklocks. While some automatic parts were used (bolsters) the manual knives did not have much in common with the previous autos. They were not gravity knives.
Thanks for the reply, Bill. So, if this was a non-auto picklock, would it not have had a back spring? Would the blade just swing freely when you lift the lock?
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

kootenay joe wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 1:22 am It also says "Closes with Lightening Speed".
Very intriguing.
kj
It would be something other than intriguing if it closed with "lightning speed" on my fingers!! lol ::paranoid::
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
Bill DeShivs

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Nephilim wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 5:15 am
Bill DeShivs wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 4:31 am Many of the post law knives were picklocks. While some automatic parts were used (bolsters) the manual knives did not have much in common with the previous autos. They were not gravity knives.
Thanks for the reply, Bill. So, if this was a non-auto picklock, would it not have had a back spring? Would the blade just swing freely when you lift the lock?
Most had an extended blade tang that made the knife operate like a slip-joint, but it locked with the backspring.

Latama
Mauro Mario
LePre
Colonial
KABAR
Falcon/AKC/AGA Campolin
Puma
Burrell Cutlery
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I don't understand how the blade could open and close with "lightening speed" if not powered by a spring ? A flipper on bearings can open very fast but as far as i know this is a fairly recent design mechanism.
kj
Nephilim

Post by Nephilim »

Well, I always assumed the ad copy to be hyperbole one way or the other. Maybe not on the level of "x-ray specs" but print adverts of the time were pretty bold with their claims.
Bill DeShivs

Post by Bill DeShivs »

The knives have a backspring to hold them closed.

Latama
Mauro Mario
LePre
Colonial
KABAR
Falcon/AKC/AGA Campolin
Puma
Burrell Cutlery
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

Here are a few from my accumulation.Some of these have a fake button covering the hole for the real one and some do not. One has a fake spring loaded button.None of these have release tabs on the back spring;they all have to be closed(without,"lightning"speed)by inserting your thumbnail under the tab near the pivot. The two bladed model does not lock open but depends on spring pressure alone. The only one like it I've ever seen.
Attachments
2018-2AutomaticKnives 098.jpg
2018-2AutomaticKnives 100.jpg
2018-2AutomaticKnives 102.jpg
2018AutomaticKnives 048.jpg
2018AutomaticKnives 051.jpg
2018AutomaticKnives 053.jpg
2018AutomaticKnives 055.jpg
2018AutomaticKnives 069.jpg
2018AutomaticKnives 071.jpg
2018AutomaticKnives 073.jpg
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Ray, you have quite a collection of these so called "Stiletto's". Do they open by depressing one side of the guard ? Is this how the "Wolf Killer" on OP opens ?
kj
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

kootenay joe wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 3:19 pm Ray, you have quite a collection of these so called "Stiletto's". Do they open by depressing one side of the guard ? Is this how the "Wolf Killer" on OP opens ?
kj
Roland;they open as does a regular knife;by inserting a thumbnail in the nick and pulling open. To close the blade requires inserting your thumbnail under the lock on the front and pulling up to release the blade.The later models used either a projection on the rear of the back spring to push down on and lift it up or rotating the side guard.The Wolf Killer ad is a bit deceptive in that I think they altered the original copy where it said,"Opens with lightning speed" to say ,"closes". Why they didn't just eliminate it altogether I don't know;maybe to keep the original balance of the copy and not leave any negative space in the ad.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Thank you Ray. Basically the ad is deceptive.
kj
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

kootenay joe wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 5:48 pm Thank you Ray. Basically the ad is deceptive.
kj
And not quite accurate.It states that the handles are made of bone whereas they are actually horn.

Return to “Switchblade Knife Collector`s Forum”