Some of my autos!

If you like Automatic knives, this is the forum to discuss and display them.
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Some of my autos!

Post by Madmarco »

Got this nice little toy in today's mail, and as usual, it wasn't easy! I ordered it from a seller on etsy and have received 2 knives previously from him already, so I was fairly confident it would get past Customs. I ordered it on Sept. 30th, and when I went back to check on the status of my order on Oct. 8th I discovered etsy had shut-down his store and yanked all his products off the shelf. When I began to investigate on how to apply for a refund, I read some of etsy's "rules", one of them being, no automatic knives. I can't understand how a company can let a seller operate for 5-10 years and then without any notice whatsoever shut them down, thus effectively taking away their livelihood. I wanted to know if my order had been shipped before the store was closed, but when etsy closed everything there was no link to communicate with the seller, but fortunately I found an email address from one of my previous orders from him, so I was able to send a message inquiring about my order. The seller replied to my message the very next day, IN FRENCH, and I understand exactly 1 word of French, bonjour! So, I started running around my apartment block looking for someone who can read and understand French, but couldn't find even one! On the last person I tried it was suggested that I Google "French to English Translator", and copy this, paste that, etc., things that are beyond my understanding of computers. When I did find an online translator it was set-up so you could type the words in French and get the results in English. So, I meticulously wrote out the words and went back to the translator and typed them in. In the message the seller said he wasn't even aware that etsy had shut him down, but, my order had indeed been shipped before they did. This entire episode turned out to be a blessing in disguise because the seller supplied me with a link to his online store, and he sells the exact same products that he did with etsy, MINUS etsy's fees for both of us, and FREE delivery. I've seen etsy do this to another seller that I was doing business with, and their stated reason was that her products didn't comply with etsy's definition of "vintage", and this was after letting her operate for 10 years! I suspect the true reason for these unannounced shut-downs is low volume sales, since etsy lets the Chinese and Indian stores continue to operate, and their products are the farthest thing from "vintage" you can imagine, but, they do high volume sales, so etsy turns a blind eye. Corporate scum-bags IMHO! My apologies for writing a book, but it just wouldn't be the same without the story! On to the knife! This is a 9" oal BO/BC unmarked automatic stiletto/SS modified bayonet blade, SS bolsters liners screws pivot safety button and black scales with through holes. All the SS gives the knife a respectable weight of around 5 oz.'s, and came with the blade relatively sharp. There's a stamp of a big cat and the word "Stainless" on the front blade, but is otherwise unmarked. This one fired nicely right out of the sheath, but with the application of a couple of drops of Q.R. oil and a minor pivot adjustment, it fires like a cannon! I paid CDN$28. for my knife, but now with the connection to the seller's store I'll only need to pay about CDN$13./delivered. I fully realize these are cheap knives, but for the price I can satisfy my "click therapy" and not put any additional stress on the springs of my better models! Thanks for bearing with me fellas! ::handshake:: 8)
WIN_20201013_12_08_29_Pro.jpg
8)
samb1955

Post by samb1955 »

I like it!
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Nice huh, Sam! ::tu:: I don't know if you bother with the cheapos anymore, but if you want to look over his stock here's the link, www.lapetitecaverne.fr ! He has a bunch of styles and for 7.99 euros(US$9.38)with free delivery you can't go wrong! 8)
8)
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

Mark, I am not surprised at Etsy doing this. It’s harder and harder to sell knives online all the time. Glad you got your knives and you like it. It does look nice.
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
samb1955

Post by samb1955 »

Madmarco wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:08 pm Nice huh, Sam! ::tu:: I don't know if you bother with the cheapos anymore, but if you want to look over his stock here's the link, www.lapetitecaverne.fr ! He has a bunch of styles and for 7.99 euros(US$9.38)with free delivery you can't go wrong! 8)
Hate to say it but I had so many I gave most of them away. Every time I buy another knife I think what in the world am I doing. The worse of it is this forum is full of people just like me. At least I'm keeping good company!
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Thanks Mark! ::tu:: What you say about online knife sales I'm sure is accurate, ::handshake:: but I truly believe etsy shut him down due to low volume sales, which I feel is confirmed by their closing of the other seller I mentioned, who's sole product was jewellery, and, the fact that they let high volume sellers continue doing business, even though their products aren't even close to "vintage". It all turned out for the best though, since I was able to get the link to his online store which has many more products than what was available on etsy, and cheaper ta boot! JMHO! 8)
8)
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

samb1955 wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:53 pm
Madmarco wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:08 pm Nice huh, Sam! ::tu:: I don't know if you bother with the cheapos anymore, but if you want to look over his stock here's the link, www.lapetitecaverne.fr ! He has a bunch of styles and for 7.99 euros(US$9.38)with free delivery you can't go wrong! 8)
Hate to say it but I had so many I gave most of them away. Every time I buy another knife I think what in the world am I doing. The worse of it is this forum is full of people just like me. At least I'm keeping good company!
I'm with ya brother! 8)
8)
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Well, I got this nice little surprise in today's mail, ::ds:: and it couldn't have arrived at a better time, since I received some rather disappointing news recently regarding a knife I ordered, in that, the order was cancelled and refunded due to the knife no longer being available. ::facepalm:: I really wish some of these companies would stay on top of their inventory, because issues such as this are, not only disappointing, but inconvenient as well. :x Oh well, cest' la vie! No looking back, only forward! ::groove:: On to the knife! It's a Ganzo/Firebird F7362 auto, that's 7 3/4" oal/SS satin-finish drop-point blade, SS bolsters and liners, screw construction, jet-black G-10 scales, pocket-clip, lanyard hole, and BO/BC action. It has an approximate weight of about 3 oz.'s, and came very sharp. There is the Ganzo logo of a hammer inside a hexagon as well as "GANZO" etched on the front blade, and, "G736/440C" along with the Firebird logo etched on the rear blade. This is the 3rd Ganzo I've received recently, and they just keep getting better with each one that arrives. The knife fired with authority straight out of the box, but with the application of Q.R. oil it fires open silky-smooth and locks-up tight and solid. These Ganzo's are quickly becoming one of my favorite knives, since they're so simple and well built. I almost got one with nicely grained wooden scales, but at the last minute decided to stay with the G-10, although, I might order one yet! If I carried a knife on a daily basis, this one would definitely be in my EDC rotation! Very cool, handy little knives! 8)
WIN_20201109_12_13_28_Pro.jpg
8)
samb1955

Post by samb1955 »

I have one just like it, love those Ganzos.
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Me too Sam! ::handshake:: Have you seen the one's with the light-colored wooden scales? The wood appears to be some sort of hardwood, but very lightly colored, so you can see the grain pattern perfectly! Really nice! Likely my next Ganzo! 8)
8)
samb1955

Post by samb1955 »

Seen pictures of them and I had one that was digital cammo but I sold it. I like black scales on my knives but if I see something I like in another color I'll buy it if the price is right.
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Nice Mark, I have heard a lot of great things about Ganzo knives but have never bought one or even handled one. I’ll have to remember to keep an eye open for one in the future.
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

samb1955 wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 11:54 pm Seen pictures of them and I had one that was digital cammo but I sold it. I like black scales on my knives but if I see something I like in another color I'll buy it if the price is right.
Me too, ::handshake:: I'm black G-10, ebony, or micarta all the way, but the light colored wood really caught my eye ::watching_you:: and I keep looking at it, so it's in the cards that it will likely be my next Ganzo purchase. I saw the cammo as well, but wasn't really attracted to it. I love these Ganzo's! 8)
8)
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Sharpnshinyknives wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 12:58 am Nice Mark, I have heard a lot of great things about Ganzo knives but have never bought one or even handled one. I’ll have to remember to keep an eye open for one in the future.
You really should check one out Mark, I'm confident you would like them, ::tu:: and, if you found a supplier that you could buy in volume from, you could offer them in your store! That being said, I don't know if you could get them for a low enough price to give you a profit. ::hmm:: I suppose you could start with just a couple, say, one of each style, and see how it goes. ::shrug:: They're really nice, simple, well built little autos! 8)
8)
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

I received another cool auto from France today, and it's just as nice as the other 3 I've bought from this seller. This one is a big, beefy knife, that measures 9 1/4" oal/SS black-coated spear-point blade with blood grooves, black SS through-construction body, SS liners, screw construction, adjustable pivot, spine-mounted flush-mount safety, coil-spring fired, and pocket-clip. On both sides of the body there is a raised AR-15 rifle, bullets, and encircled 5-point star. Quite heavy at about 8 oz.'s, and arrived very sharp. The knife is completely unmarked, so it's builder is a mystery to me. The seller also sent along a "gift" knife, likely due to me being a good customer, and it's pretty nice in it's own right. This one is a small slip-joint folder, measuring only 6" oal/SS clip-point blade with n/n, SS through-construction body, and extended lanyard. A real lightweight at a touch over 1 oz., but extremely sharp. Again, totally unmarked. Perfect for the keychain, or into the watch/coin pocket. Since my US seller appears to be shut-down, this seller in France is currently my only source for autos, and although they're inexpensive, they're tons-of-fun to play with, and, they save the wear and tear on my better models! 8)
WIN_20201116_11_53_06_Pro.jpg
WIN_20201116_11_52_11_Pro.jpg
8)
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Very nice Mark. That black one is BIG.
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Thanks Mark! ::handshake:: These usually feel light and kindda flimsy, but that one surprised me with how heavy it is! :shock: Fires like a cannon too! 8)
8)
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

That is one draft horse of a knife Marco. As I am not experienced with autos I don't know how commonly a knife that large turns up, but I would guess it is infrequently.
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Thanks Garry! ::handshake:: These automatic knives come in all shapes and sizes, from the tiny 4" oal keychain models, all the way up to the 72" oal "Display" models, and just about everything in-between. Rule-of-thumb is, the bigger the knife the slower it fires, due to more blade to propel, but with the 5mm springs that many builders are using nowadays, even the bigger models can fire mighty hard. I've been absolutely fascinated with autos since I was 6 yrs. old, and even with the passage of time that fascination hasn't quelled. I just LOVE em'! 8)
8)
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Marco,

Is it ok if I hang these modern autos up here? Smith & Wesson M&P 1600 in S30V, Kershaw 7100 Launch in CPM154, Gerber Empower in S30V and Boker+ Warhawk Strike in D2 (bottom to top). Only the Boker was made outside of the US, and it was half the price of the others. All are aluminum handled.

John
Attachments
IMG_20201119_190915491.jpg
IMG_20201119_191013938.jpg
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

1967redrider wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:27 am Marco,

Is it ok if I hang these modern autos up here? Smith & Wesson M&P 1600 in S30V, Kershaw 7100 Launch in CPM154, Gerber Empower in S30V and Boker+ Warhawk Strike in D2 (bottom to top). Only the Boker was made outside of the US, and it was half the price of the others. All are aluminum handled.

John
Absolutely John, no problem at all! ::handshake:: We have very similar tastes in autos, the only real difference being, you already own many of the knives I've been watching, and now that my connection in the US has been shut-down, I'm limited to the overseas cheap stuff. Hopefully my guy in Colorado will re-open in the near future under a new name and site so I can continue to add to my collection, because I have all the "click therapy" cheapos I want! Please feel free to post here anytime you like! ::handshake:: Mark! Really nice knives, BTW! 8)
8)
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Madmarco wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:50 am

John
Absolutely John, no problem at all! ::handshake:: We have very similar tastes in autos, the only real difference being, you already own many of the knives I've been watching, and now that my connection in the US has been shut-down, I'm limited to the overseas cheap stuff. Hopefully my guy in Colorado will re-open in the near future under a new name and site so I can continue to add to my collection, because I have all the "click therapy" cheapos I want! Please feel free to post here anytime you like! ::handshake:: Mark! 8)Really nice knives, BTW!

Thank you, Sir, and sorry to read about your State side connection for American made autos. There are a few big knife stores that put the auto ownership responsibility on the purchaser, others won't. But I have been able to pick up what I'm looking for without too much trouble. Sellers at shows usually have an ample supply to peruse, but there weren't any local shows this year to go to. Hopefully next year will be better. ::pray::
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

1967redrider wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:55 am
Madmarco wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:50 am

John
Absolutely John, no problem at all! ::handshake:: We have very similar tastes in autos, the only real difference being, you already own many of the knives I've been watching, and now that my connection in the US has been shut-down, I'm limited to the overseas cheap stuff. Hopefully my guy in Colorado will re-open in the near future under a new name and site so I can continue to add to my collection, because I have all the "click therapy" cheapos I want! Please feel free to post here anytime you like! ::handshake:: Mark! 8)Really nice knives, BTW!

Thank you, Sir, and sorry to read about your State side connection for American made autos. There are a few big knife stores that put the auto ownership responsibility on the purchaser, others won't. But I have been able to pick up what I'm looking for without too much trouble. Sellers at shows usually have an ample supply to peruse, but there weren't any local shows this year to go to. Hopefully next year will be better. ::pray::
Thanks for the condolences John! ::handshake:: Unfortunately, my problem is, I live in Canada where just about EVERY knife is prohibited, ::facepalm:: and Customs has "red-flagged" me ::watching_you:: after intercepting 4 separate packages with prohibited autos in them, but my guy in Colorado would remove the blades and send them in a separate package along with a screw + barrel pivot, thus reducing the knife to "parts", and 100% legal to import, and when both packages arrive I simply install the blades, but I've yet to find another seller willing to do this, so he was a pretty important connection. I was even willing to risk Customs again, but, all the sellers I tried won't ship outside the US, so that was a dead-end too. As for knife shows, they are virtually non-existent up here, and any that do happen don't have what I'm looking for. So you can see why I get excited when I receive another auto, because they are so hard to come-by up here. Like you said, hopefully things will be better next year! ::pray:: 8)
8)
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

I'm posting late today because, from minute 1 upon awakening I was dealing with, well, STUFF, starting with this knife! It arrived BROKEN! The blade was jammed closed, and while attempting to release it a small section under the lever snapped off, rendering the knife inoperable. Being the ingenious guy that I am, ::rotflol:: I went to work trying to fix the problem. 7 hours later and it operates flawlessly! I had been waiting quite awhile for this knife to get delivered, and after a number of post office delays it finally arrived today. As one can see it's an auto, and when ordering it I inquired about delivery options that might help get it past Customs. The seller told me they have a successful method to accomplish this, so I took a chance and held my breath. Without going into detail, suffice to say their method is fool-proof. It's a CLONE, of the AGA Campolin Zero model, and please note I said CLONE, NOT counterfeit, as it's unmarked and not using any patent or copyright etches or stamps, only the design is being copied, and you know the old saying, "imitation is the sincerest form of flattery", or somethin' like that! Measuring 8 1/2" oal, 1/4" shorter than the original, this leverlock knife has a SS dagger blade with fullers, SS bolsters liners and lever, no safety or pocket-clip, screw construction, and black textured G-10 covers. Lever-open/lever-close. Very similar weight to the original at about 8 oz.'s, and a treacherously sharp bottom edge. There are subtle differences from the original, such as, bolster shape, cover design, and quality of materials used, but basically the same knife. It was only about 1/4 of the price of an original, which is pretty much why I bought it, because I can get my "click therapy" from this one, and save the wear and tear on my AGA model. In pic #2 I have the 2 knives together for comparison. There was a bright spot during the day, as you can see in pic #3, a 4 5/8" cast iron stiletto keychain also arrived! Guess ya gotta have those bad days now and again, so one can fully appreciate the good ones! 8)
WIN_20210105_20_34_14_Pro.jpg
WIN_20210105_20_34_59_Pro.jpg
WIN_20210105_20_36_40_Pro.jpg
8)
samb1955

Post by samb1955 »

Looks better than the original, those Chinese are copying everything anymore.

Return to “Switchblade Knife Collector`s Forum”